Chronic myeloid leukaemia and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The occurrence of chronic myeloid leukaemia (CML) in patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) has rarely been reported in the literature. In this report, we describe the experience of a single centre in the management of 10 such patients, including demographic information, disease characteristics and response to therapy. We had a black female predominance in our series, with only a minority of patients achieving a complete cytogenetic response. The main reason for this appears to be compliance, which was influenced by distance to the treating centre. The side-effect profile was similar to that expected, with the exception of one patient who developed a drug rash with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms. Although CML patients co-morbid for HIV face certain unique challenges when compared to non-infected patients, their long-term outcome can be positive when appropriately managed.
- Spano JP, Costagliola D, Katlama C, Mounier R, Oksenhendler E, Khayat D. AIDS-related malignancies: state of the art and therapeutic challenges. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26:4834–42. CrossRef
- Verneris MR, Tuel L, Seibel NL. Pediatric HIV infection and chronic myelogenous leukemia. Pediatr AIDS HIV Infect. 1995;6:292–4.
- Schlaberg R, Fisher JG, Flamm MJ, Murty VV, Bhagat G, Alobeid B. Chronic myeloid leukemia and HIV-infection. Leuk Lymphoma. 2008;49:1155–60. CrossRef
- Mahon FX, Nabera CB, Pellegin JL, Cony-Makhoul P, Leng B, Bernard P, et al. Improving the cytogenetic response to interferon alpha by zidovudine (AZT) in an HIV-positive chronic myelogenous leukemia patient. Leuk Lymphoma. 1997;26:205–7.
- De la Tribonniere X, Leberre R, Plantier I, Alfandari S, Beuscart S, Jouet JP, et al. Chronic myelogenous leukemia in an HIV-infected patient. Infection. 1998;26:194. CrossRef
- Tsimberidou AM, Medina J, Cortes J, Rios A, Bonnie G, Faderl S, et al. Chronic myeloid leukemia in a patient with acquired immune deficiency syndrome: complete cytogenetic response with imatinib mesylate: report of a case and review of the literature. Leuk Res. 2004;28:657–60. CrossRef
- O’Brien SG, Guilhot F, Goldman DM, et al. International Randomized Study of Interferon Versus STI571 (IRIS) 7-year follow-up: sustained survival, low rate of transformation and increased rate of major molecular response in patients with newly diagnosed chronic myeloid leukemia in chronic phase treated with imatinib. Blood. 2008;112:Abstract 186.
- Sterne JA, Hernán MA, Ledergerber B, Tilling K, Weber R, Sendi P, et al. Long-term effectiveness of potent antiretroviral therapy in preventing AIDS and death: a prospective cohort study. Lancet. 2005;366:378–84. CrossRef
- Sant M, Allemani C, Tereanu C, De Angelis R, Capocaccia R, Visser O, et al. Incidence of hematologic malignancies in Europe by morphologic subtype: results of the HAEMACARE project. Blood. 2010;116:3724–34. CrossRef
- Boma PO, Durosinmi MA, Adediran IA, Akinola NO, Salawu L. Clinical and prognostic features of Nigerians with chronic myeloid leukemia. Niger Postgrad Med J. 2006;13:47–52.
- Mukiibi JM, Nyirenda CM, Paul B, Adewuyi JO, Mzula EL, Malata HN. Chronic myeloid leukemia in central Africans. East Afr Med J. 2003;80:470–5.
- Liebowitz MR, Derman DP, Jacobson R, Stevens K, Katz J. Chronic myeloid leukaemia in South African blacks. S Afr Med J. 1976;50:2035–7.
- Rohrbacher M, Berger U, Hochhaus A, Metzgeroth G, Adam K, Lahaye T, et al. Clinical trials underestimate the age of chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) patients. Incidence and median age of Ph/BCR–ABL-positive CML and other chronic myeloproliferative disorders in a representative area in Germany. Leukemia. 2009;23:602–4. CrossRef
- Othieno-Abinya NA, Nyabola LO, Kiarie GW, Ndege R, Maina JM. Chronic myeloid leukemia at the Kenyatta National Hospital. Nairobi East Afr Med J. 2002;79:593–7.
- Southern African HIV Clinicians Society. Guidelines: antiretroviral therapy in adults. http://www.sajhivmed.org.za/index.php/sajhivmed/article/viewFile/68/34. Accessed 6 Sept 2011.
- Sokal JE, Cox EB, Baccarani M, Tura S, Gomez GA, Robertson JE, et al. Prognostic discrimination in “good-risk” chronic granulocytic leukemia. Blood. 1984;63:789–99.
- Hasford J, Pfirrmann M, Hehlmann R, Allan NC, Baccarani M, Kluin-Nelemans JC, et al. A new prognostic score for survival of patients with chronic myeloid leukemia treated with interferon alfa. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1998;90:850–8. CrossRef
- Hasford J, Baccarani M, Hoffmann V, Guilhot J, Saussele S, Rosti G, et al. Predicting complete cytogenetic response and subsequent progression-free survival in 2060 patients with CML on imatinib treatment: the EUTOS score. Blood. 2011;118:686–92. CrossRef
- Osterberg L, Blaschke T. Adherence to medication. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:487–97. CrossRef
- Paterson DL, Swindells S, Mohr J, Brester M, Vergis EN, Squier C, et al. Adherence to protease inhibitor therapy and outcomes in patients with HIV infection. Ann Intern Med. 2000;133:21–30.
- Noens L, van Lierde MA, de Bock R, Verhoef G, Zachée P, Berneman Z, et al. Prevalence, determinants, and outcomes of nonadherence to imatinib therapy in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia: the ADAGIO study. Blood. 2009;113:5401–11. CrossRef
- Marin D, Bazeos A, Mahon FX, Eliasson L, Milojkovic D, Bua M, et al. Adherence is the critical factor for achieving molecular responses in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia who achieve complete cytogenetic responses on imatinib. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:2381–8. CrossRef
- Ganesan P, Sagar TG, Dubashi B, Rajendranath R, Kannan K, Cyriac S, et al. Nonadherence to imatinib adversely affects event free survival in chronic phase chronic myeloid leukemia. Am J Hematol. 2011;86:471–4. CrossRef
- Cramer J. Identifying and improving compliance patterns. In: Cramer JA, Spilker B, editors. Patient compliance in medical practice and clinical trials. New York: Raven Press; 1991. p. 387–92.
- Sewitch MJ, Abrahamowicz M, Barkun A, Bitton A, Wild GE, Cohen A, et al. Patient nonadherence to medication in inflammatory bowel disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2003;98:1535–44. CrossRef
- Baccarani M, Cortes J, Pane F, Niederwieser D, Sagglio G, Apperley J, et al. Chronic myeloid leukemia: an update of concepts and management recommendations of European LeukemiaNet. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:6041–51. CrossRef
- Claxton AJ, Cramer J, Pierce C. A systematic review of the associations between dose regimens and medication compliance. Clin Ther. 2001;23:1296–310. CrossRef
- Salami AK, Fadeyi A, Ogunmodede JA, Desalu O. Factors influencing adherence to antiretroviral medication in Ilorin, Nigeria. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care. 2010;9:191–5. CrossRef
- Partridge AH, Avorn J, Wang PS, Winer EP. Adherence to therapy with oral antineoplastic agents. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2002;94:652–61. CrossRef
- Eliasson L, Clifford S, Barber N, Marin D. Exploring chronic myeloid leukemia patients’ reasons for not adhering to the oral anticancer drug imatinib as prescribed. Leuk Res. 2011;35:626–30. CrossRef
- Murphy RA, Sunpath H, Kuritzkes DR, Venter F, Gandhi RT. Antiretroviral therapy-associated toxicities in the resource-poor world: the challenge of a limited formulary. J Infect Dis. 2007;196(Suppl 3):S449–56. CrossRef
- Kantarjian HM, Larson RA, Guilhot F, O’Brien SG, Druker BJ. Declining rates of adverse events (AEs), rare occurrence of serious AEs, and no unexpected long-term side effects at 5 years in patients with newly diagnosed chronic myeloid leukemia in chronic phase initially treated with imatinib in the international randomized study of interferon vs STI571 (IRIS). Blood. 2006;108(Suppl):Abstract 2136.
- Kantarjian H, Shah NP, Hochhaus A, Cortes J, Shah S, Ayala M, et al. Dasatinib versus imatinib in newly diagnosed chronic-phase chronic myeloid leukemia. N Engl J Med. 2010;362:2260–70. CrossRef
- Cortes JE, Jones D, O’Brien S, Jabbour E, Ravandi F, Koller C, et al. Results of dasatinib therapy in patients with early chronic-phase chronic myeloid leukemia. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:398–404. CrossRef
- Marin D, Marktel S, Bua M, Szydlo RM, Franceschino A, Nathan I, et al. Prognostic factors for patients with chronic myeloid leukemia in chronic phase treated with imatinib mesylate after failure of interferon-alpha. Leukemia. 2003;17:1448–53. CrossRef
- Calenda V, Chermann JC. The effects of HIV on hematopoiesis. Eur J Haematol. 1992;48:181–6. CrossRef
- Miguez-Burbano MJ, Jackson J Jr, Hadrigan S. Thrombocytopenia in HIV disease: clinical relevance, physiopathology and management. Curr Med Chem Cardiovasc Hematol Agents. 2005;3:365–76. CrossRef
- Peltzer K. Utilization and practice of traditional/complementary/alternative medicine (TM/CAM) in South Africa. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2009;6:175–85.
- Gleevec® (Imatinib) Prescribing Information. East Hanover (NJ): Novartis Pharmaceutical Company. www.pharma.us.novartis.com/product/pi/pdf/gleevec_tabs.pdf. Accessed 11 June 2010.
- Bolton AE, Peng B, Hubert M, Krebs-Brown A, Dapdeville R, Keller U, et al. Effect of rifampicin on the pharmacokinetics of imatinib mesylate (Gleevec, STI571) in healthy subjects. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2004;53:102–6. CrossRef
- Efavirenz: drug information. http://www.uptodate.com/contents/efavirenz-drug-information?source=search_result&search=efavirenz&selectedTitle=1%7E92. Accessed 6 Sept 2011.
- Phillips E, Mallal S. Drug hypersensitivity in HIV. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007;7:324–30. CrossRef
- Goldman J, Duval-Modeste AB, Lambert A, Contentin N, Courville P, Musette P, et al. Imatinib-induced DRESS (Article in French). Ann Dermatol Venereol. 2008;135:393–6. CrossRef
- Cortes JE, Baccarani M, Guilhot F, Druker BJ, Branford S, Kim DW, et al. Phase III, randomized, open-label study of daily imatinib mesylate 400 mg versus 800 mg in patients with newly diagnosed, previously untreated chronic myeloid leukemia in chronic phase using molecular end points: tyrosine kinase inhibitor optimization and selectivity study. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:424–30. CrossRef
- Picard S, Titier K, Etienne G, Teilhet E, Ducint D, Bernard MA, et al. Trough imatinib plasma levels are associated with both cytogenetic and molecular responses to standard-dose imatinib in chronic myeloid leukemia. Blood. 2007;109:3496–9. CrossRef
- Larson RA, Druker BJ, Guilhot F, O’Brien SG, Riviere GJ, Krahnke T, et al. Imatinib pharmacokinetics and its correlation with response and safety in chronic-phase chronic myeloid leukemia: a subanalysis of the IRIS study. Blood. 2008;111:4022–8. CrossRef
- Santachiara R, Maffei R, Martinelli S, Arcari A, Piacentini F, Trabacchi E, et al. Development of hypogammaglobulinemia in patients treated with imatinib for chronic myeloid leukemia or gastrointestinal stromal tumor. Haematologica. 2008;93:1252–5. CrossRef
- Cervetti G, Carulli G, Galimberti S, Azzarà A, Canmizzo E, Buda G, et al. Reduction of immunoglobulin levels during imatinib therapy of chronic myeloid leukemia. Leuk Res. 2008;32:191–2. CrossRef
- Humlová Z, Klamová H, Janatková I, Sandová P, Sterzl I, Sobotková E, et al. Changes of immunological profiles in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia in the course of treatment. Clin Dev Immunol. 2010;2010:137320. CrossRef
- Weichsel R, Dix C, Wooldridge L, Clement M, Fenton-May A, Sewell AK, et al. Profound inhibition of antigen-specific T-cell effector functions by dasatinib. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:2484–91. CrossRef
- Chen J, Schmitt A, Chen B, Rojewski M, Rübeler V, Fei F, et al. Nilotinib hampers the proliferation and function of CD8+ T lymphocytes through inhibition of T cell receptor signalling. J Cell Mol Med. 2008;12:2107–18. CrossRef
- Chronic myeloid leukaemia and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection
International Journal of Hematology
Volume 95, Issue 5 , pp 556-563
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Chronic myeloid leukaemia
- Treatment adherence
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Clinical Haematology, Department of Internal Medicine (G73), Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Free State, PO Box 339, Bloemfontein, 9300, South Africa
- 2. Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa