The discovery of ATL: an odyssey in restrospect
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Forty years have passed since our initial description of peculiar cases of adult-onset leukemia with abnormal cells having multi-convoluted nuclei and T cell properties, frequent in the southern regions of Japan in the early 1970s. Retrospectively, the study of adult T cell leukemia (ATL) and the related virus HTLV-I was a forerunner for all of human retrovirology, in which AIDS and the related retrovirus HIV were identified a few years later in the 1980s. Using the anti-TAC monoclonal antibody generated by the late Takashi Uchiyama during his stay in T. A. Waldmann's laboratory in NIH Bethesda, a cDNA encoding IL-2Rα chain was cloned by our group in Kyoto and by Waldmann’s group in Bethesda. Abnormal IL-2Rα chain expression and the IL-2 dependency of ATL cell lines greatly contributed to the study of leukemogenesis of ATL. A new soluble factor named ADF/ATL-derived factor was also detected in ATL cell lines. After years of study, ADF proved to be a first human counterpart of thiol-related oxido-reductase thioredoxin/TRX, which opened the field of redox regulation of cell signaling involved in a variety of diseases. Close interaction among Drs. Kimishige Ishizaka, Kiyoshi Takastuki and T. A. Waldmanns before ATL and HTLV-I study was an essential base for our initiation of ATL research with Takashi Uchiyama and many other colleagues.
- Yodoi J, Takatsuki K, Masuda T. Two cases of T-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia in Japan. N Engl J Med. 1974;290:572–3.
- Yodoi J, Takatsuki K, Aoki N, Masuda T. Chronic lymphocytic leukemia of T-cell origin: demonstration in two cases by the use of anti-thymocyte membrane antiserum. Nippon Ketsueki Gakkai Zasshi. 1974;37(3):289–92.
- Uchiyama T, Yodoi J, Sagawa K, Takatsuki K, Uchino H. Adult T-cell leukemia: clinical and hematologic features of 16 cases. Blood. 1977;50:481–92.
- Kalyanaraman VS, Sarngadharan MG, Nakao Y, Ito Y, Aoki T, Gallo RC. Natural antibodies to the structural core protein (p24) of the human T-cell leukemia (lymphoma) retrovirus found in sera of leukemia patients in Japan. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1982;79:1653–7. CrossRef
- Yoshida M, Miyoshi I, Hinuma Y. Isolation and characterization of retrovirus from cell lines of human adult T-cell leukemia and its implication in the disease. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 1982;79:2031–5. CrossRef
- Uchiyama T, Broder S, Waldmann TA. A monoclonal antibody (anti-Tac) reactive with activated and functionally mature human T cells. I. Production of anti-Tac monoclonal antibody and distribution of Tac (+) cells. J Immunol. 1981;126:1393–7.
- Leonard WJ, Depper JM, Crabtree GR, Rudikoff S, Pumphrey J, Robb RJ, Krönke M, Svetlik PB, Peffer NJ, Waldmann TA, et al. Molecular cloning and expression of cDNAs for the human interleukin-2 receptor. Nature. 1984;311:626–31. CrossRef
- Nikaido T, Shimizu A, Ishida N, Sabe H, Teshigawara K, Maeda M, Uchiyama T, Yodoi J, Honjo T. Molecular cloning of cDNA encoding human interleukin-2 receptor. Nature. 1984;311:631–5. CrossRef
- Waldmann TA, Leonard WJ, Depper JM, Krönke M, Goldman CK, Oh T, Greene WC. Interleukin-2 receptor expression in retrovirus associated adult T-cell leukemia. Princess Takamatsu Symp. 1984;15:259–68.
- Yodoi J, Masuda T, Miyama M, Maeda M, Ichikawa Y. Interaction of lymphocytes and macrophage cell line cells (M1 cells). I. Functional maturation and appearance of Fc receptors in M1 cells. Cell Immunol. 1978;39:5–17. CrossRef
- Teshigawara K, Maeda M, Nishino K, Nikaido T, Uchiyama T, Tsudo M, Wano Y, Yodoi J. Adult T leukemia cells produce a lymphokine that augments interleukin 2 receptor expression. J Mol Cell Immunol. 1985;2:17–26.
- Maeda M, Shimizu A, Ikuta K, Okamoto H, Kashihara M, Uchiyama T, Honjo T, Yodoi J. Origin of human T-lymphotrophic virus I-positive T cell lines in adult T cell leukemia. Analysis of T cell receptor gene rearrangement. J Exp Med. 1985;162:2169–74. CrossRef
- Nishinaka Y, Nishiyama A, Masutani H, Oka S, Ahsan KM, Nakayama Y, Ishii Y, Nakamura H, Maeda M, Yodoi J. Loss of thioredoxin-binding protein-2/vitamin D3 up-regulated protein 1 in human T-cell leukemia virus type I-dependent T-cell transformation: implications for adult T-cell leukemia leukemogenesis. Cancer Res. 2004;64:1287–92. CrossRef
- Chen Z, Lopez-Ramos DA, Yoshihara E, Maeda Y, Masutani H, Sugie K, Maeda M, Yodoi J. Thioredoxin-binding protein-2 (TBP-2/VDUP1/TXNIP) regulates T-cell sensitivity to glucocorticoid during HTLV-I-induced transformation. Leukemia. 2011;25:440–8. CrossRef
- Tagaya Y, Maeda Y, Mitsui A, Kondo N, Matsui H, Hamuro J, Brown N, Arai K, Yokota T, Wakasugi H, Yodoi J. ATL-derived factor (ADF), an IL-2 receptor/Tac inducer homologous to thioredoxin; possible involvement of dithiol-reduction in the IL-2 receptor induction. EMBO J. 1989;8:757–64.
- Wakasugi N, Tagaya Y, Wakasugi H, Mitsui A, Maeda M, Yodoi J, Tursz T. Adult T-cell leukemia-derived factor/thioredoxin, produced by both human T-lymphotropic virus type I- and Epstein–Barr virus-transformed lymphocytes, acts as an autocrine growth factor and synergizes with interleukin 1 and interleukin 2. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1990;87(21):8282–6. CrossRef
- Ikuta K, Takami M, Kim CW, Honjo T, Miyoshi T, Tagaya Y, Kawabe T, Yodoi J. Human lymphocyte Fc receptor for IgE: sequence homology of its cloned cDNA with animal lectins. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1987;84:819–23. CrossRef
- Kondo N, Ishii Y, Son A, Sakakura-Nishiyama J, Kwon YW, Tanito M, Nishinaka Y, Matsuo Y, Nakayama T, Taniguchi M, Yodoi J. Cysteine-dependent immune regulation by TRX and MIF/GIF family proteins. Immunol Lett. 2004;92:143–7. CrossRef
- Son A, Kato N, Horibe T, Matsuo Y, Mochizuki M, Mitsui A, Kawakami K, Nakamura H, Yodoi J. Direct association of thioredoxin-1 (TRX) with macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF): regulatory role of TRX on MIF internalization and signaling. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2009;11:2595–605. CrossRef
- Yoshihara E, Chen Z, Matsuo Y, Masutani H, Yodoi J. Thiol redox transitions by thioredoxin and thioredoxin-binding protein-2 in cell signaling. Methods Enzymol. 2010;474:67–82. CrossRef
- Ogawa M, McIntyre OR, Ishizaka K, Ishizaka T, Terry WD, Waldmann TA. Biologic properties of E myeloma proteins. Am J Med. 1971;51:193–9. CrossRef
- The discovery of ATL: an odyssey in restrospect
International Journal of Hematology
Volume 94, Issue 5 , pp 423-428
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Adult T cell leukemia
- Industry Sectors