Diffuse alveolar hemorrhage associated with lenalidomide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Lenalidomide is a potent anti-cancer agent that is widely used in patients with refractory or relapsed multiple myeloma . Lenalidomide is chemically similar to thalidomide, but it has a different safety profile, such as reduced risk of peripheral nervous disorders . In addition, pulmonary complications of lenalidomide are thought to be rare. We describe what to our knowledge is the first case of diffuse alveolar hemorrhage (DAH) associated with lenalidomide.
A 65-year-old man with multiple myeloma of IgG kappa type, Durie–Salmon stage IIIA and International Staging System II, was admitted to our clinic for rapidly progressing dyspnea in December 2010. He had a 40 pack-year smoking history and diabetes mellitus. He had received combination therapies of vincristine, doxorubicin, and dexamethasone (VAD), melphalan, and prednisolone (MP), bortezomib with dexamethasone (BD), and thalidomide. However, he had become resistant to all these regimens. Subsequently, he had started a combinat ...
- Dimopoulos M, Spencer A, Attal M, Prince HM, Harousseau JL, Dmoszynska A, et al. Lenalidomide plus dexamethasone for relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma. N Engl J Med. 2007;357:2123–32. CrossRef
- Kotla V, Goel S, Nischal S, Heuck C, Vivek K, Das B, et al. Mechanism of action of lenalidomide in hematologic malignancies. J Hematol Oncol. 2009;2:36–45. CrossRef
- Vahid B, Marik PE. Pulmonary complications of novel antineoplastic agents for solid tumors. Chest. 2008;133:528–38. CrossRef
- Rosenow EC 3rd, Limper AH. Drug-induced pulmonary disease. Semin Respir Infect. 1995;10:86–95.
- Ozkan M, Dweik RA, Ahmad M. Drug-induced lung disease. Cleve Clin J Med. 2001;68(782–5):789–95.
- Collard HR, Schwarz MI. Diffuse alveolar hemorrhage. Clin Chest Med. 2004;25:583–92. CrossRef
- Thornburg A, Abonour R, Smith P, Knox K, Twigg HL 3rd. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis-like syndrome associated with the use of lenalidomide. Chest. 2007;131:1572–4. CrossRef
- Chen Y, Kiatsimkul P, Nugent K, Raj R. Lenalidomide-induced interstitial lung disease. Pharmacotherapy. 2010;30:113–6. CrossRef
- Lerch E, Györik S, Feilchenfeldt J, Mazzucchelli L, Quadri F. A case of lenalidomide-induced hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Onkologie. 2010;33:249–52. CrossRef
- Corral LG, Haslett PA, Muller GW, Chen R, Wong LM, Ocampo CJ, et al. Differential cytokine modulation and T cell activation by two distinct classes of thalidomide analogues that are potent inhibitors of TNF-alpha. J Immunol. 1999;163:380–6.
- Diffuse alveolar hemorrhage associated with lenalidomide
International Journal of Hematology
Volume 93, Issue 6 , pp 830-831
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors