Differential effects of BAFF on B cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia and Burkitt lymphoma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
B cell-activating factor belonging to the tumor necrosis factor superfamily (BAFF) is a crucial factor for B cell development and is involved in the survival of malignant B cells, but its effect on B cell precursors (BCPs) remains unclear. We investigated BCP acute lymphoblastic leukemia (-ALL) cells for BAFF receptor (-R) expression and compared the effect of BAFF on BCP-ALL cells and Burkitt lymphoma (BL) cells. Expression of BAFF-R was detected in some cell lines and some clinical specimens of both BL and BCP-ALL. BAFF acted on both BL and BCP-ALL cells and promoted proliferation by both. BAFF also inhibited apoptosis by BL cells induced by cross-linking of cell surface molecules and anticancer drugs, but failed to inhibit apoptosis by BCP-ALL cells. BAFF induced prompt and obvious activation of the NF-κB signaling pathway in BL cells, but only weak and delayed activation of the pathway in BCP-ALL cells. The results of this study indicate that some BCP-ALL cells and some BL cells express BAFF-R, but that the effects of BAFF on BCP-ALL cells are different from its effects on mature B cell malignancies.
- Mackay F, Silveira PA, Brink R. B cells and the BAFF/APRIL axis: fast-forward on autoimmunity and signaling. Curr Opin Immunol. 2007;19:327–36. CrossRef
- Schneider P, MacKay F, Steiner V, et al. BAFF, a novel ligand of the tumor necrosis factor family, stimulates B cell growth. J Exp Med. 1999;189:1747–56. CrossRef
- Shu HB, Hu WH, Johnson H. TALL-1 is a novel member of the TNF family that is down-regulated by mitogens. J Leukoc Biol. 1999;65:680–3.
- Mukhopadhyay A, Ni J, Zhai Y, Yu GL, Aggarwal BB. Identification and characterization of a novel cytokine, THANK, a TNF homologue that activates apoptosis, nuclear factor-κB, and c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:15978–81. CrossRef
- Moore PA, Belvedere O, Orr A, et al. BLyS: member of the tumor necrosis factor family and B lymphocyte stimulator. Science. 1999;285:260–3. CrossRef
- Gross JA, Johnston J, Mudri S, et al. TACI and BCMA are receptors for a TNF homologue implicated in B-cell autoimmune disease. Nature. 2000;404:995–9. CrossRef
- Mackay F, Woodcock SA, Lawton P, et al. Mice transgenic for BAFF develop lymphocytic disorders along with autoimmune manifestations. J Exp Med. 1999;190:1697–710. CrossRef
- Khare SD, Sarosi I, Xia XZ, et al. Severe B cell hyperplasia and autoimmune disease in TALL-1 transgenic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2000;97:3370–5. CrossRef
- Schiemann B, Gommerman JL, Vora K, et al. An essential role for BAFF in the normal development of B cells through a BCMA-independent pathway. Science. 2001;293:2111–4. CrossRef
- Gross JA, Dillon SR, Mudri S, et al. TACI-Ig neutralizes molecules critical for B cell development and autoimmune disease. Impaired B cell maturation in mice lacking BLyS. Immunity. 2001;15:289–302. CrossRef
- Vora KA, Wang LC, Rao SP, et al. Cutting edge: germinal centers formed in the absence of B cell-activating factor belonging to the TNF family exhibit impaired maturation and function. J Immunol. 2003;171:547–51.
- Schneider P. The role of APRIL and BAFF in lymphocyte activation. Curr Opin Immunol. 2005;17:282–9. CrossRef
- Thompson JS, Schneider P, Kalled SL, et al. BAFF binds to the tumor necrosis factor receptor-like molecule B cell maturation antigen and is important for maintaining the peripheral B cell population. J Exp Med. 2000;192:129–35. CrossRef
- Xia XZ, Treanor J, Senaldi G, et al. TACI is a TRAF-interacting receptor for TALL-1, a tumor necrosis factor family member involved in B cell regulation. J Exp Med. 2000;192:137–43. CrossRef
- Marsters SA, Yan M, Pitti RM, Haas PE, Dixit VM, Ashkenazi A. Interaction of the TNF homologues BLyS and APRIL with the TNFreceptor homologues BCMA and TACI. Curr Biol. 2000;10:785–8. CrossRef
- Shu HB, Johnson H. B cell maturation protein is a receptor for the tumor necrosis factor family member TALL-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2000;97:9156–61. CrossRef
- Wu Y, Bressette D, Carrell JA, et al. Tumor necrosis factor (TNF) receptor superfamily member TACI is a high affinity receptor for TNF family members APRIL and BLyS. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:35478–85. CrossRef
- Thompson JS, Bixler SA, Qian F, et al. BAFF-R, a newly identified TNF receptor that specifically interacts with BAFF. Science. 2001;293:2108–11. CrossRef
- Gras MP, Laabi Y, Linares-Cruz G, et al. BCMAp: an integral membrane protein in the Golgi apparatus of human mature B lymphocytes. Int Immunol. 1995;7:1093–106. CrossRef
- Kayagaki N, Yan M, Seshasayee D, et al. BAFF/BLyS receptor 3 binds the B cell survival factor BAFF ligand through a discrete surface loop and promotes processing of NF-kB2. Immunity. 2002;10:515–24. CrossRef
- Haiat S, Billard C, Quiney C, Ajchenbaum-Cymbalista F, Kolb JP. Role of BAFF and APRIL in human B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. Immunology. 2006;118:281–92. CrossRef
- Novak AJ, Darce JR, Arendt BK, et al. Expression of BCMA, TACI, and BAFF-R in multiple myeloma: a mechanism for growth and survival. Blood. 2004;103:689–94. CrossRef
- Moreaux J, Legouffe E, Jourdan E, et al. BAFF and APRIL protect myeloma cells from apoptosis induced by interleukin 6 deprivation and dexamethasone. Blood. 2004;103:3148–57. CrossRef
- Chiu A, Xu W, He B, Dillon SR, et al. Hodgkin lymphoma cells express TACI and BCMA receptors and generate survival and proliferation signals in response to BAFF and APRIL. Blood. 2007;109:729–39. CrossRef
- Novak AJ, Grote DM, Stenson M, et al. Expression of BLyS and its receptors in B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma: correlation with disease activity and patient outcome. Blood. 2004;104:2247–53. CrossRef
- Rodig SJ, Shahsafaei A, Li B, Mackay CR, Dorfman DM. BAFF-R, the major B cell-activating factor receptor, is expressed on most mature B cells and B-cell lymphoproliferative disorders. Hum Pathol. 2005;36:1113–9. CrossRef
- Wada K, Maeda K, Tajima K, Kato T, Kobata T, Yamakawa M. Expression of BAFF-R and TACI in reactive lymphoid tissues and B-cell lymphomas. Histopathology. 2009;54:221–32. CrossRef
- Smith SH, Cancro MP. Cutting edge: B cell receptor signals regulate BLyS receptor levels in mature B cells and their immediate progenitors. J Immunol. 2003;170:5820–3.
- Suzuki T, Kiyokawa N, Taguchi T, Sekino T, Katagiri YU, Fujimoto J. CD24 induces apoptosis in human B cells via the glycolipid-enriched membrane domains/rafts-mediated signaling system. J Immunol. 2001;166:5567–77.
- Taguchi T, Takenouchi H, Matsui J, et al. Involvement of insulin-like growth factor-I and insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in pro-B-cell development. Exp Hematol. 2006;34:508–18. CrossRef
- Kiyokawa N, Kokai Y, Ishimoto K, Fujita H, Fujimoto J, Hata JI. Characterization of the common acute lymphoblastic leukaemia antigen (CD10) as an activation molecule on mature human B cells. Clin Exp Immunol. 1990;79:322–7. CrossRef
- Saito M, Kiyokawa N, Taguchi T, et al. Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor directly affects human monocytes and modulates cytokine secretion. Exp Hematol. 2002;30:1115–23. CrossRef
- Kiyokawa N, Lee EK, Karunagaran D, Lin SY, Hung MC. Mitosis-specific negative regulation of epidermal growth factor receptor, triggered by a decrease in ligand binding and dimerization, can be overcome by overexpression of receptor. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:18656–65. CrossRef
- Chaouchi N, Vazquez A, Galanaud P, Leprince C. B cell antigen receptor-mediated apoptosis. Importance of accessory molecules CD19 and CD22, and of surface IgM crosslinking. J Immunol. 1995;154:3096–104.
- Shan D, Ledbetter JA, Press OW. Apoptosis of malignant human B cells by ligation of CD20 with monoclonal antibodies. Blood. 1998;91:1644–52.
- Mimori K, Kiyokawa N, Taguchi T, et al. Costimulatory signals distinctively affect CD20- and B-cell-antigen-receptor-mediated apoptosis in Burkitt’s lymphoma/leukemia cells. Leukemia. 2003;17:1164–74. CrossRef
- He B, Chadburn A, Jou E, Schattner EJ, Knowles DM, Cerutti A. Lymphoma B cells evade apoptosis through the TNF family members BAFF/BLyS and APRIL. J Immunol. 2004;172:3268–79.
- Ogden CA, Pound JD, Batth BK, et al. Enhanced apoptotic cell clearance capacity and B cell survival factor production by IL-10-activated macrophages: implications for Burkitt’s lymphoma. J Immunol. 2005;174:3015–23.
- Taguchi T, Kiyokawa N, Mimori K, et al. Pre-B cell antigen receptor-mediated signal inhibits CD24-induced apoptosis in human pre-B cells. J Immunol. 2003;170:252–60.
- Saito Y, Miyagawa Y, Onda K, et al. B-cell-activating factor inhibits CD20-mediated and B-cell receptor-mediated apoptosis in human B cells. Immunology. 2008;125:570–90. CrossRef
- Kim SJ, Lee SJ, Choi IY, et al. Serum BAFF predicts prognosis better than APRIL in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma patients treated with rituximab plus CHOP chemotherapy. Eur J Haematol. 2008;81:177–84. CrossRef
- Differential effects of BAFF on B cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia and Burkitt lymphoma
International Journal of Hematology
Volume 91, Issue 5 , pp 808-819
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- B cell precursor ALL
- Burkitt lymphoma
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Research, National Research Institute for Child Health and Development, 2-10-1 Okura, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, 157-8535, Japan
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, Juntendo University, School of Medicine, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan