Salmonella enteritidis necrotising fasciitis in a multiple myeloma patient receiving bortezomib
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We report a case of a 65-year-old man with multiple myeloma being treated with bortezomib who suffered necrotising fasciitis (NF) due to Salmonella enteritidis.
The patient was admitted with a pathological fracture of the humerus in August 2006, which subsequently was found to be due to a plasmocytoma. Further investigation revealed an IgG kappa paraproteinaemia of 12.8 g/l with immune paresis, no Bence–Jones protein in the urine, but bone marrow trephine (BMT) showed 14% plasma cells. Skeletal survey showed no further bony abnormalities. Full blood count and renal function were normal. He was diagnosed with Salmon Durie stage 3 multiple myeloma. Only past medical history of note was hypertension. He received four cycles of vincristine, adriamycin and dexamethasone. However, his paraprotein started to increase on treatment; therefore, he received second-line treatment with cyclophosphamide, thalidomide and dexamethasone. His paraprotein decreased from 18 to 6 g/l. In December 2007, he u
- Pegues DA, Ohl ME, Miller SI. Salmonella species including Salmonella typhi. In: Mandell GL, Bennett JE MD Dolin R, editors. Principles and practice of infectious disease 6th ed. Elsevier; Amsterdam; 2005. p. 2636–54.
- HPA. National increase in Salmonella enteritidis phage type 14b infections in England. Health Protection Report [HPR] Weekly 2009;3(42). http://www.hpa.org.uk/hpr/archives/2009/hpr4209.pdf.
- Hohmann EL. Nontyphoidal salmonellosis. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;32(2):263–9. CrossRef
- Wilson B. Necrotizing fasciitis. Am Surg. 1952;18:416–31.
- Khawcharoenporn T, Apisarnthanarak A, Kiratisin P, Mundy LM. Salmonella group C necrotizing fasciitis: a case report and review of the literature. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2006;54(4):319–22. CrossRef
- Tsubokura M, Kami M, Komatsu T. Bortezomib plus melphalan and prednisone for multiple myeloma. N Engl J Med. 2008;359(24):2613. CrossRef
- Bladé J, Cibeira MT, Rosiñol L. Bortezomib: a valuable new antineoplastic strategy in multiple myeloma. Acta Oncol. 2005;44(5):440–8. CrossRef
- Tosi P, Gamberi B, Giuliani N. Biology and treatment of multiple myeloma. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2006;12(1 Suppl 1):81–6. CrossRef
- Broder S, Humphrey R, Durm M, Blackman M, Meade B, Goldman C, et al. Impaired synthesis of polyclonal (non-paraprotein) immunoglobulins by circulating lymphocytes from patients with multiple myeloma role of suppressor cells. N Engl J Med. 1975;293(18):887–92. CrossRef
- Hsu RB, Chen RJ, Lin FY, Chu SH. Influence of ciprofloxacin resistance on risk factors for endovascular infection in patients with infection due to group C nontyphoid salmonellae. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;40(9):1364–7. CrossRef
- Albaghdadi H, Robinson N, Finlay B, Krishnan L, Sad S. Selectively reduced intracellular proliferation of Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium within APCs limits antigen presentation and development of a rapid CD8 T cell response. J Immunol. 2009;183(6):3778–87. CrossRef
- Basler M, Lauer C, Beck U, Groettrup M. The proteasome inhibitor bortezomib enhances the susceptibility to viral infection. J Immunol. 2009;183:6145–50. [Epub ahead of print]. CrossRef
- Salmonella enteritidis necrotising fasciitis in a multiple myeloma patient receiving bortezomib
International Journal of Hematology
Volume 91, Issue 1 , pp 149-151
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medical Microbiology, University Hospitals of Leicester, 5th Floor, Sandringham Building, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Infirmary Square, Leicester, LE1 5WW, UK
- 2. Department of Haematology, University Hospitals of Leicester, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Infirmary Square, Leicester, UK