Therapy related CMML: a case report and review of the literature
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Therapy related chronic myelomonocytic leukemia (t-CMML) is rare. We report a 23-year-old female who developed acute fulminant hepatic failure after drug overdose. She underwent ABO incompatible orthotopic liver transplant. She received cyclophosphamide along with other immunosuppressants. Seven years later, she was diagnosed with t-CMML-2 with 45XX,-7 karyotype. She received 4 cycles of azacitidine and proceeded with allogeneic bone marrow transplant. This is the first a case of t-CMML reported in a liver transplant recipient. In this article, we also summarize all reported cases of t-CMML, and we review therapy related MDS in recipients of solid organ transplant.
- Bennett JM, Komrokji R, Kouides P. The myelodysplastic syndromes. In: Abeloff MD, Armitage JO, Niederhuber JE, editors. Clinical oncology, vol. 3rd. New York: Churchill Livingstone; 2004. p. 2849–81.
- Pedersen-Bjergaard J, Philip P. Two different classes of therapy-related and de novo acute myeloid leukemia? Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 1991;55:119–24. doi:10.1016/0165-4608(91)90246-Q. CrossRef
- Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Diebold J, et al. World Health Organization classification of neoplastic diseases of the hematopoietic and lymphoid tissues: report of the Clinical Advisory Committee meeting, Airlie House, Virginia, November 1997. J Clin Oncol. 1999;17(12):3835–49.
- Bennett JM, Catovsky D, Daniel MT, et al. Proposals for the classification of the acute leukaemias. French–American–British (FAB) co-operative group. Br J Haematol. 1976;33:451–8. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2141.1976.tb03563.x. CrossRef
- Bennett JM, Catovsky D, Daniel MT, et al. Proposals for the classification of the myelodysplastic syndromes. Br J Haematol. 1982;51:189–99.
- Vardiman JW, Harris NL, Brunning RD. The World Health Organization (WHO) classification of the myeloid neoplasms. Blood. 2002;100:2292–302. doi:10.1182/blood-2002-04-1199. CrossRef
- Komrokji RS, Bennett JM. The clinical implications of the World Health Organization’s classification of myelodysplastic syndromes. Curr Hematol Rep. 2005;4:175–81.
- Knipp S, Hildebrandt B, Richter J, Haas R, Germing U, Gattermann N. Secondary myelodysplastic syndromes following treatment with azathioprine are associated with aberrations of chromosome 7. Haematologica. 2005;90:691–3.
- Ueki K, Sato S, Tamura J, et al. Three cases of multiple myeloma developing into melphalan-related chronic myelomonocytic leukemia. J Med. 1991;22:157–61.
- Oo TH, Kenney L. Therapy-related chronic myelomonocytic leukemia with unique chromosomal abnormalities: monosomy 7 and t(12;17)(p13;q11.2). Am J Hematol. 2007;82:248–9. doi:10.1002/ajh.20730. CrossRef
- Kim KB, Faderl S, Hwang CS, Khuri FR. Chronic myelomonocytic leukaemia after platinum-based therapy for non-small cell lung cancer: case report and review of the literature. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2006;31:401–6. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2710.2006.00748.x. CrossRef
- Muroi K, Miyata T, Saito M, Hatake K, Amemiya Y, Miura Y. Therapy-related chronic myelomonocytic leukaemia with bone marrow eosinophilia associated with der(11)t(1;11)(q21;q14). Acta Haematol. 1996;96:251–4. doi:10.1159/000203795. CrossRef
- Hanto DW, Fecteau AH, Alonso MH, Valente JF, Whiting JF. ABO-incompatible liver transplantation with no immunological graft losses using total plasma exchange, splenectomy, and quadruple immunosuppression: evidence for accommodation. Liver Transpl. 2003;9:22–30. doi:10.1053/jlts.2003.50011. CrossRef
- Renard TH, Andrews WS. An approach to ABO-incompatible liver transplantation in children. Transplantation. 1992;53:116–21. doi:10.1097/00007890-199201000-00022. CrossRef
- Penn I. Leukemia in the immunosuppressed organ recipient. Ann Thorac Surg. 1994;57:216. CrossRef
- Huebner G, Karthaus M, Pethig K, Freund M, Ganser A. Myelodysplastic syndrome and acute myelogenous leukemia secondary to heart transplantation. Transplantation. 2000;70:688–90. doi:10.1097/00007890-200008270-00026. CrossRef
- Kobbe G, Germing U, Aivado M, et al. Treatment of secondary myelodysplastic syndrome after heart transplantation with chemotherapy and nonmyeloablative stem-cell transplantation. Transplantation. 2002;74:1198–200. doi:10.1097/00007890-200210270-00027. CrossRef
- Offman J, Opelz G, Doehler B, et al. Defective DNA mismatch repair in acute myeloid leukemia/myelodysplastic syndrome after organ transplantation. Blood. 2004;104:822–8. doi:10.1182/blood-2003-11-3938. CrossRef
- Therapy related CMML: a case report and review of the literature
International Journal of Hematology
Volume 89, Issue 5 , pp 699-703
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Therapy related MDS
- Liver transplantation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Hematology and Medical Oncology Division, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA
- 2. Department of Pathology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA
- 3. Digestive Disease Division, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA
- 4. Division of Human Genetics, Department of Pediatrics, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, USA
- 5. Department of Medicine, The James P. Wilmot Cancer Center, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, USA
- 6. Department of Oncologic Sciences, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, 33612, USA
- 7. Department of Hematologic Malignancies, Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, FOB 3rd floor, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL, 33612, USA