Intensive-Therapy Glycemic Control Fails to Prevent Vascular Complications in Veterans with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Duckworth W, Abraira C, Moritz T, et al.; VADT Investigators: Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2009, 360:129–139.
• Of importance.
Previous reports concerning prevention of cardiovascular complications in type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) patients achieved through intensive glycemic control show conflicting results. When data from the old studies are re-analyzed after longer follow-up periods, their results support the notion that an intensive-therapy approach helps prevent cardiovascular complications, whereas results from newer clinical trials with shorter follow-up periods, albeit a more stringent control of additional cardiovascular risk factors, do not.
This Veterans Affairs Diabetes Trial (VADT) tests the hypothesis that intensive-therapy glycemic care in poorly controlled veterans with longstanding T2DM delays the onset of major cardiovascular events. The authors made sample size calculations based on a pl ...
- Gale EA, Beattie SD, Hu J, et al.: Recruitment to a clinical trial improves glycemic control in patients with diabetes. Diabetes Care 2007, 30:2989–2992. CrossRef
- Gaede P, Vedel P, Larsen N, et al.: Multifactorial intervention and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2003, 348:383–393. CrossRef
- Gaede P, Lund-Andersen H, Parving HH, Pedersen O: Effect of a multifactorial intervention on mortality in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008, 358:580–591. CrossRef
- UK Prospective Diabetes Study Group: Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33). Lancet 1998, 352:837–853. (Published erratum appears in Lancet 1999, 354:602.) CrossRef
- Holman RR, Paul SK, Bethel MA, et al.: 10-year follow-up of intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008, 359:1577–1589. CrossRef
- Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes Study Group; Gerstein HC, Miller ME, Byington RP, et al.: Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008, 358:2545–2559. CrossRef
- ADVANCE Collaborative Group; Patel A, MacMahon S, Chalmers J, et al.: Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008, 358:2560–2572. CrossRef
- Intensive-Therapy Glycemic Control Fails to Prevent Vascular Complications in Veterans with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports
Volume 4, Issue 4 , pp 248-250
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links