Turmoil in the Taiwan Strait: Wellington Koo and ROC Foreign Policy 1953–1956
- Reed H. Chervin
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Turmoil in the Taiwan Strait addresses Ambassador Wellington Koo's role in Chinese foreign policy from 1953 to 1956 and his relevance in the larger Cold War context. In particular, it focuses on Koo's involvement in the 1954 Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty and the 1955 Dachen Islands Crisis. This paper argues that, although Koo accomplished a fair amount during this time, he would have encountered fewer professional obstacles had he not represented Chiang Kai-Shek, who had become a controversial figure by the mid-1950s. At the same time, one can conclude that Koo creatively used media and meetings with statesmen abroad to shore up support for the Republic of China during this turbulent decade. This article attempts to provide another perspective on Koo, who has traditionally been understudied in the West. Furthermore, this work seeks to add a meaningful contribution to the historiography on cross-strait relations—particularly in the contemporary era.
- Aseniero, George. (1994). South Korean and Taiwanese Development: The Transnational Context. Review: A Journal of the Fernand Braudel Center 17, 275–336.
- Bachrack, Stanley D. (1976). The Committee of One Million: “China Lobby” Politics 1953–1971. New York, NY: Columbia University Press.
- Buchanan, Tom. (2012). East Wind: China and the British Left, 1925–1976. Oxford: Oxford University Press. CrossRef
- Chai, Winberg. (March 2007). Missile Envy: New Tensions in China–US–Taiwan Relations. Asian Affairs: An American Review, 39–40.
- Chang, Su-Ya 張叔雅. (1994). Zhong Mei Gongtong Fangyu Tiaoyue de Qianding 中美公同防禦條約的簽訂 [Reluctant Alliance: John Foster Dulles and the Making of the US-ROC Mutual Defense Treaty of 1954]. Zhongyang yanjiu yuan oumei yanjiu suo中央研究院歐美研究所 24, 51–99
- Chang, Su-Ya張叔雅. (1991). Unleashing Chiang Kai-Shek?: Eisenhower and the Policy of Indecision toward Taiwan, 1953. Zhongyang yanjiu yuan jindaishi yanjiu suo中央研究院近代史研究所 20, 369–401.
- Chen, H.M. 陳紅民, Zhao, X.S. 趙興勝, and Han, W.N. 韓文寧. (2010). Jiang Jieshi de Houban Sheng 蔣介石的後半生 [Chiang Kai-Shek's Latter Life]. Hangzhou: Zhejiang daxue chuban she 浙江大學出版社.
- Chen, Jian. (2001). Mao’s China and the Cold War. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press.
- Craft, Stephen G. (2004). V.K. Wellington Koo: Emergence of Modern China. Lexington, KY: The University Press of Kentucky.
- DeLong, Thomas A. (2007). Madame Chiang Kai-Shek and Miss Emma Mills: China’s First Lady and Her American Friend. Jefferson, NC: MacFarland and Company.
- Furuya, Keiji. (1981). Chiang Kai-Shek: His Life and Times. New York, NY: St. John’s University Press.
- Grieder, Jerome B. (1970). Hu Shih and the Chinese Renaissance. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Harrison, Henrietta. (2001). China: Inventing the Nation. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Herzstein, Robert E. (1994). Henry R. Luce: A Political Portrait of the Man Who Created the American Century. New York, NY: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Isaacs, Harold. (1980). Scratches on Our Minds: American Views of China and India. Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe.
- Jin, Guangyao 金光耀. (1999). Gu Weijun Zhuan顧維鈞傳 [Biography of Wellington Koo]. Baoding: Hebei Renmin Chuban She 保定:河北人民出版社.
- Kaufman, Victor S. (June 2001). Trouble in the Golden Triangle: The United States, Taiwan, and the 93rd Nationalist Division. The China Quarterly, no. 166, 440–456.
- Milestones: 1953–1960. US Department of State Office of the Historian. Retrieved May 1, 2012, from http://history.state.gov/milestones/1953-1960/Taiwan
- Neils, Patricia. (1990). China Images in the Life and Times of Henry Luce. Savage, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Pakula, Hannah. (2009). The Last Empress: Madame Chiang Kai-Shek and the Birth of Modern China. New York, NY: Simon and Schuster.
- Spector, Ronald. (1985). Eagle Against the Sun: The American War with Japan. New York, NY: Vintage Books.
- Turmoil in the Taiwan Strait: Wellington Koo and ROC Foreign Policy 1953–1956
Volume 30, Issue 4 , pp 291-306
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Foreign Affairs
- Reed H. Chervin (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. History Department, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 80309, USA