A Critique of Armstrong’s Truthmaking Account of Possibility
- Javier Kalhat
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper I argue against Armstrong’s recent truthmaking account of possibility. I show that the truthmaking account presupposes modality in a number of different ways, and consequently that it is incapable of underwriting a genuine reduction of modality. I also argue that Armstrong’s account faces serious difficulties irrespective of the question of reduction; in particular, I argue that his Entailment and Possibility Principles are both false.
- Armstrong, D. (1978). Universals and scientific realism: A theory of universals. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Armstrong, D. (1989a). A combinatorial theory of possibility. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Armstrong, D. (1989b). Universals: An opinionated introduction. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press.
- Armstrong, D. (1997). A world of states of affairs. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Armstrong, D. (2004). Truth and truthmakers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Armstrong, D. (2005). Reply to Simons and Mumford. Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 83, 271–276. CrossRef
- Baxter, D. (2001). Instantiation as partial identity. Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 79, 449–464.
- David, M. (2002). Armstrong on truthmaking. In H. Bebee, & J. Dodd (Eds.), Truthmakers: The contemporary debate (pp. 141–159). Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- Fine, K. (1994). Essence and modality. In J. Tomberlin (Ed.), Philosophical perspectives, 8, Logic and language (pp. 1–16). Atascadero, CA: Ridgeview Publishing.
- Lewis, D. (1986). On the plurality of worlds. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Mumford, S. (2005). The true and the false. Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 83, 263–269. CrossRef
- Mumford, S. (2007). David Armstrong. UK: Acumen.
- Read, S. (2000). Truthmaking and the disjunction thesis. Mind, 109, 67–79. CrossRef
- Rodriguez-Pereyra, G. (2006). Truthmaking, entailment, and the conjunction thesis. Mind, 115, 957–982. CrossRef
- Simons, P. (2005). Negatives, numbers, and necessity: Some worries about Armstrong’s version of truthmaking. Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 83, 253–261. CrossRef
- A Critique of Armstrong’s Truthmaking Account of Possibility
Volume 23, Issue 2 , pp 161-176
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Javier Kalhat (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Philosophisches Seminar, Universität Zürich, Zürichbergstrasse 43, 8044, Zürich, Switzerland