Properties that Four-Dimensional Objects Cannot Have
- Ariel Meirav
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The paper argues that four-dimensionalism is incompatible with the existence of “additively cumulative” properties, including mass, volume, and electrical charge. These properties add up over disjoint objects: for example, the mass of a whole composed of two disjoint objects is a sum of the individual masses of the objects. The difficulty with such properties for four-dimensionalism stems from the way this theory makes persistence depend on the existence of disjoint objects at disjoint times. I consider various possible responses to this difficulty and conclude that they all fail.
- Copeland, Jack, Heather Dyke and Diane Proudfoot 2001. Temporal Parts and their Individuation, Analysis 61.4: 289–293. CrossRef
- Haslanger, Sally 2003. Persistence Through Time, in The Oxford Handbook of Metaphysics, ed. Michael J. Loux and Dean W. Zimmerman, Oxford, Oxford University Press: 315–354.
- Lewis, David 1983. In Defense of Stages (Postscript B to ‘Survival and Identity’), in Philosophical Papers, Vol. I, Oxford, Oxford University Press: 76–77.
- Lewis, David 1986. On the Plurality of Worlds, Oxford, Blackwell.
- Lowe, E.J. 1987. Lewis on Perdurance Versus Endurance, Analysis 47.3: 152–154. CrossRef
- Lowe, E.J. 2002. A Survey of Metaphysics, Oxford, Oxford University Press.
- Sider, Theodore 1996. All the World's a Stage, Australasian Journal of Philosophy 74: 433–453. CrossRef
- Sider, Theodore 2001. Four-Dimensionalism: An Ontology of Persistence and Time, Oxford, Clarendon Press.
- Simons, Peter 1987. Parts: A Study in Ontology, Oxford, Clarendon Press.
- Thomson, Judith Jarvis 1983. Parthood and Identity Across Time, Journal of Philosophy, 80: 201–220. CrossRef
- Zimmerman, Dean W. 1996. Persistence and Presentism, Philosophical Papers 25: 115–126.
- Properties that Four-Dimensional Objects Cannot Have
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 135-148
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Temporal parts
- Ariel Meirav (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel