Cape Town’s Model C schools: Desegregated and desegregating spaces?
- Jane Battersby
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
- Baxter, L.M. 1996. History, Identity and Meaning: Cape Town’s Coon Carnival in the 1960s and 1970s. Unpublished Masters thesis, Department of History, University of Cape Town, Cape Town.
- Boal, F.W. 1978. Ethnic Residential Segregation. Herbert, D.T. and Johnson, R.J. (eds.), Social Areas in Cities. John Wiley and Sons: New York:57–96.
- Bourdieu, P. 1977. Cultural Reproduction and Social Reproduction. Karabel, J. and Halsey, A.H. (eds.), Power and Ideology in Education. Oxford University Press: New York:487–511.
- Christopher, A.J. 2001. Urban Segregation in Post-Apartheid South Africa. Urban Studies 38(3):449–466.
- Cross, M. and Mkwanazi-Twala, Z. 1998. The Dialectic of Unity and Diversity in Education: Its Implications for a National Curriculum in South Africa. Cross, M., Mkwanazi-Twala, Z. and Klein, G. (eds.) Dealing with Diversity in South African Education. Juta: Kenwyn:3–34.
- Davies, R.J. 1981. The Spatial Formation of the South African City. GeoJournal supplementary issue 2:59–72.
- Jensen, S. and Turner, S. 1996. A Place called Heideveld: Identities and strategies among Coloureds in Cape Town. South Africa Research Report No. 112, Department of Geography and International Development Studies, Roskilde University, Denmark.
- Kieswetter, A. 1995. Code Switching Amongst African High School Students. Occasional Papers in African Linguistics No. 1. University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg.
- Martin, D-C. 1999. Coon Carnival: New Year in Cape Town, Past to Present. David Philip: Cape Town.
- Merrifield, A. 1996. Public Space: Integration and Exclusion in Urban Life. City 5–6:57–72. CrossRef
- Newsum, H. E. 1990. Class, Language and Education: Class Struggle and Sociolinguistics in an African Situation. African World Press: Trenton, NJ.
- Oldfield, S. 2000. The Centrality of Community Capacity in State Low-Income Provision in Cape Town, South Africa. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 24(8):858–872. CrossRef
- Robinson, J. 1998. Spaces of Democracy: Remapping the Apartheid City. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 16:533–548. CrossRef
- Saff, G. 1996. Claiming a Space in a Changing South Africa: The “Squatters” of Marconi Beam, Cape Town. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 86(2):235–255. CrossRef
- Salo, E. 2003. Negotiating Gender and Personhood in the New South Africa: Adolescent Women and Gangsters in Manenberg Township on the Cape Flats. European Journal of Cultural Studies 6(3):345–365. CrossRef
- Schnell, I. 2002. Segregation in Everyday Life Spaces: A Conceptual Model. Schnell, I. and Ostendorf, W. (eds.), Studies in Segregation and Desegregation. Ashgate: Aldershot:39–65.
- Soja, E.W. 1989. Postmodern Geographies: The Reassertion of Space in Critical Social Theory. Verso: London.
- Cape Town’s Model C schools: Desegregated and desegregating spaces?
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 279-291
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Jane Battersby (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Environmental and Geographical Sciences, University of Cape Town, South Africa