Alcohol consumption in elderly people across European countries: Results from the food in later life project
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The aim of this paper is to identify social and cultural aspects of alcohol consumption in a sample of older people living in their own homes, in eight different European countries. We explore several aspects of alcohol consumption, establishing comparisons between genders, age groups and living circumstances. The phenomenon of alcohol consumption within these countries and cultures is compared in order to gain a better understanding of similarities and differences.
- Chin, A.H., O’Connell, H. and Cunningham, C. (2004). Alcohol use disorders and the elderly. Geriatric Medicine, 34(6), 44–49.
- Clough R., Hart R., Nugent M., Fox, D. and Watkins C. (2004). Older people and alcohol. A summary and recommendations arising from research in Ayrshire and Arran. Lancashire: Third Sector First.
- Djousse, L. R. E., Beiser, A., Scaramucci, A., D’Agostino, R. B. and Wolf, P. A. (2002). Alcohol consumption and risk of ischaemic stroke. Stroke, 33(4), 907–12. CrossRef
- Hepple, J. (1996). Alcohol and older people. Elderly Care, 8(6), 34–35.
- Institute of Alcohol Studies (IAS). (1999). Spring. Alcohol and the elderly, IAS Fact Sheet. St Ives, Cambridge UK: IAS.
- Institute of Alcohol Studies (IAS). (2005). Winter. Alcohol consumption and harm in the UK and EU, IAS Fact Sheet. St Ives, Cambridge UK: IAS.
- International Life Science Institute Europe Alcohol Task Force. (1999). September. Overview of the health issues related to alcohol consumption, Executive summary of the book ‘Health issues related to alcohol consumption’. 2nd edition Brussels: Blackwell Science Ltd.
- Lofland, J. and Lofland, L. (1995). Analysing social settings: A guide to qualitative observation and analysis. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
- MAXqda (2001). Software for qualitative data analysis. Berlin: VERBI Gmbh.
- Schonfeld, L. and Dupree, L. W. (1994) Alcohol abuse among older adults. Reviews in Clinical Gerontology, 4 (3), 217–225. CrossRef
- O’Connell, H., Chin, A.-V., Cunningham, C. and Lawlor, B. (2003). Alcohol use disorders in elderly people - redefining an age old problem in old age. British Medical Journal, 327, 664–667. CrossRef
- Silverman, D. (1993). Interpreting qualitative data: Methods for analysing talk, text and interaction. London: Sage.
- Social Issues Research Centre. (1998). Social and cultural aspects of drinking. A report to the Amsterdam group. Oxford: Social Issues Research Centre.
- Strauss, A. and Corbin, J. (1990). Basics of qualitative research, Grounded theory procedures and techniques. Newbery park, CA: Sage.
- Thun, M., Peto, R. and Lopez, A. (1997). Alcohol consumption and mortality among middle aged and elderly US adults. New England Journal of Medicine, 337(24), 1705–14. CrossRef
- Truelsen, T., Thudium, D. and Gronbaek, M. (2002). Amount and type of alcohol and risk of dementia: the Copenhagen city heart study. Neurology, 59(9), 1313–19.
- Vestal, R., McGuire, E., Tobin, J., Andres, R., Norris, A. and Mezey, E. (1977). Ageing and ethanol metabolism. Clinical Pharmacological Therapy, 21, 343–54.
- World Health Organization (WHO). (2002). Management of substance dependence noncommunicable diseases. A Summary of Alcohol in Developing Societies: A Public Health Approach: Geneva: WHO.
- World Health Organization (WHO), Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse. (2004). Global status report on alcohol 2004. Geneva: WHO.
- Wilsnack, S. C. and Wilsnack, R. W. (2002). International gender and alcohol research: recent findings and future directions. Alcohol Research and Health, 4(26), 245–250.
- Alcohol consumption in elderly people across European countries: Results from the food in later life project
Volume 30, Issue 4 , pp 377-395
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Maria Daniel Vaz De Almeida (1)
- Kate Davidson (2)
- Cecilia De Morais (1)
- Helen Marshall (2)
- Silvia Bofill (3)
- Klaus G. Grunert (4)
- Katarzyna Kozlowska (5)
- Yolanda Lacasta (3)
- Simona Martines (6)
- Ylva Mattsson-Sydner (7)
- Henriette Boel Nielsen (4)
- Gudrun Seltmann (8)
- Anna Szczecinska (5)
- Monique Raats (2)
- Margaret Lumbers (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculdade de Ciências da Nutrição e Alimentação, Universidade do Porto, R. Dr., Roberto Frias, 4200-465, Porto, Portugal
- 2. University of Surrey, GU2 7XH, Guildford, Surrey, UK
- 3. Grup d’Estudis Alimentaris, University of Barcelona, Spain
- 4. MAPP, The Aarhus School of Business, Denmark
- 5. Department of Human Nutrition, Warsaw Agriculture University, Poland
- 6. Istituto Nazionale di Ricerca per gli Alimenti e la Nutrizione (INRAN), Italy
- 7. Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Sweden
- 8. Federal Research Centre for Nutrition (FRCN) (Bundesforschungsanstalt für Ernaehrung), Germany