How right-to-work laws affect wages
- W. Robert Reed
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
I examine the wage effects of Right-To-Work (RTW). Using state-level data, I estimate that, ceteris paribus, RTW states have average wages that are significantly higher than non-RTW states. This result is robust is across a wide variety of specifications. An important distinctive of this study is that it controls for state economic conditions at the time states adopted RTW. States that adopted RTW were generally poorer than other states. Failure to control for these initial conditions may be the reason that previous studies have not identified a positive wage impact for RTW.
- Bennett, James T., Johnson, Manuel H. (1980) The Impact of Right-to-Work Laws on the Economic Behav-ior of Local Unions: A Property Rights Perspective. Journalof Labor Research 1: pp. 1-27
- Bernat, Andrew. “Convergence in State Per Capita Personal Income, 1950-99.” Survey of Current Business (June 2001): 36-48.
- Carroll, Thomas M. (1983) Right to Work Laws Do Matter. Southern Economic Journal 50: pp. 494-509 CrossRef
- Cobb, James C. (1982) The Selling of the South. Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, La.
- Diebold, Francis X. (2001) Elements of Forecasting. South-Western, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Elliott, Ralph D., Huffman, James R. (1984) The Impact of Right-to-Work Laws on Employer Unfair Labor Practice Charges. Journal of Labor Research 5: pp. 165-76
- Ellwood, David T., Fine, Glenn (1987) The Impact of Right-to-Work Laws on Employer Unfair Labor Prac-tice Charges. Journal of Political Economy 95: pp. 250-73 CrossRef
- Farber, Henry S. (1984) Right-to-Work Laws and the Extent of Unionization. Journal of Labor Economics 2: pp. 319-52 CrossRef
- Gallaway, Lowell E. (1966) The Economics of the Right-To-Work Controversy. Southern Economic Journal 32: pp. 310-16 CrossRef
- Garofalo, Gasper A., Malhotra, Devinder M. (1992) An Integrated Model of the Economic Effects of Right-to-Work Laws. Journal of Labor Research 13: pp. 293-305
- Grasa, A. Aznar (1989) Econometric Model Selection: A New Approach. Kluwer Academic Publish-ers, Dordrecht
- Holmes, Thomas (1998) The Effect of State Policies on the Location of Manufacturing: Evidence from State Borders. Journal of Political Economy 106: pp. 667-705 CrossRef
- Hundley, Greg (1993) Collective Bargaining Coverage of Union Members and Nonmembers in the Public Sec-tor. Industrial Relations 32: pp. 72-93 CrossRef
- Mishel, Lawrence (2001) Comments on Right-to-Work and Its Economic Impact: A Response to Robert Reed. Economic Policy Institute, Washington, D.C.
- Moore, William J. (1980) Membership and Wage Impact of Right-to-Work Laws. Journal of Labor Research 1: pp. 349-68
- Moore, William J., Newman, Robert (1985) The Effects of Right-To-Work Laws: A Review of the Literature. Indus-trial and Labor Relations Review 38: pp. 571-85 CrossRef
- Moore, William J., Dunlevy, James A., Newman, Robert J. (1986) Do Right-to-Work Laws Matter? Comment. Southern Economic Journal 53: pp. 515-24 CrossRef
- Moore, William J. (1998) The Determinants and Effects of Right-To-Work Laws: A Review of the Recent Liter-ature. Journal of Labor Research 19: pp. 445-69
- Moulton, Brent R. (1990) An Illustration of a Pitfall in Estimating the Effects of Aggregate Variables on Micro Units. Review of Economics and Statistics 72: pp. 334-38 CrossRef
- Neumark, David, Wachter, Michael L. (1995) Union Effects on Nonunion Wages: Evidence from Panel Data on Industries and Cities. Industrial and Labor Relations Review 49: pp. 20-38 CrossRef
- Newman, Robert J. (1984) Growth in the American South. New York University Press, New York
- Schmenner, Roger W. (1982) Making Business Location Decisions. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Tannenwald, Robert.“State Regulatory Policy and Economic Development.” New England Economic Review (March/April 1997): 83-99.
- Wessels, Walter J. (1981) Economic Effects of Right-To-Work Laws. Journal of Labor Research 2: pp. 55-75
- How right-to-work laws affect wages
Journal of Labor Research
Volume 24, Issue 4 , pp 713-730
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- W. Robert Reed (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Oklahoma, 73019, Norman, OK