Peek-a-boo, I See You: Watching Japanese Hard-core Animation
- Mariana Ortega-Brena
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This essay proposes a phenomenological approach to the viewing of Japanese hard-core animation (widely known in the West as “hentai”), a type of erotica frequently characterized by detailed, unusual and fantastic depictions of sexual activity habitually intended for sexual arousal. Pertinent instances of Japanese traditions of erotica and visual representation, as well as Japanese animation and its industry are briefly reviewed. The main theoretical focus is on the experience of viewing such animated material and is mostly informed by Western notions of pornography and film viewing, particularly Vivian Sobchack’s work on the phenomenology of film.
- Akan, M. (2002). (Director). Nageki no Kenkô Yûryôji. Pink Pinneapple, KSS, 1994. F3: Frantic, frustrated and female. Subtitled DVD. SoftCel Pictures.
- Allison, A. (1996). Permitted and prohibited desires: Mothers, comics, and censorship in Japan. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Bolton, C. A. (2002). From wooden cyborgs to celluloid souls: Mechanical bodies in anime and Japanese puppet theater. Positions: East Asia Cultures Critique, 10(3), 729–771. CrossRef
- Bolton, C. A. (2005). Anime horror and its audience: 3 × 3 eyes and Vampire Princess Miyu. In J. McRoy (Ed.), Japanese horror cinema (pp. 66–76). Edinburgh, Scotland: Edinburgh University Press.
- Buckley, S. (1991). Penguin in bondage: A graphic tale of Japanese comic books. In C. Penley & A. Ross (Eds.), Technoculture (pp. 163–195). Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Clements, J., & McCarthy, H. (2001). The anime encyclopedia: A guide to Japanese animation since 1917. Berkeley, CA: Stone Bridge Press.
- Fujimoto, Y. (Director). (1992). Yôjû Sensen Adventure kid. MW Films. Adventure kid. Subtitled VHS. Central Park Media Corporation, 1994.
- Fukuda, J., et al. (Directors). (1990). Yôjû Kyôshitsu. Daiei. Subtitled VHS. Demon beast invasion. Central Park Media Corporation, 1995.
- Fukumoto, K. (Director). (1994). Seijûden Twin dolls. Dandelion. Twin dolls. Subtitled VHS. Released in North America by SoftCel Pictures.
- Gardner, W. O. (2003, November). Attack of the phallic girls. Science Fiction Studies, 88(29.3), available at http://www.depauw.edu/sfs/review_essays/gardner88.htm#gardner. Accessed 13 April 2005.
- Grassmuck, V. (2000, April). Man, nation & machine: The otaku answer to pressing problems of the media society. Paper presented at the Jan van Eijk Akademie, Maastricht. Available at http://waste.informatik.hu-berlin.de/Grassmuck/Texts/otaku00_e.html. Accessed 13 April 2005.
- Harada, S. (Director). (1999). G-Taste. Beam Entertainment, Mybic, AIC. G-Taste. Subtitled DVD. SoftCel Pictures, 2003.
- Iwamoto, K. (1998). The Aesthetics of Japanese Cinema. Speech given at the symposium for the Asian Art Film Festival in Seoul, 1998. Available at http://www.raizofan.net/eng/jpncinema.htm. Accessed 6 September 2008.
- Kawajiri, Y. (Director). (1987). Yôjû Toshi. Madhouse. Wicked city. Subtitled DVD. Released in North America by Urban Vision.
- Kazuma, M., & Joban, S. (Directors). (1995). Injû Kyôshi 1& 2. Pink Pineapple. Angel of darkness I & II. Subtitled VHS. SoftCel Pictures, 1996.
- Kitakubo, H. (Director). (1995). Golden Boy. KSS. Goldenboy. Subtitled VHS. A.D. Vision, 1996.
- Kitasawa, R., & Fukumoto, K. (Directors). (1992). Injû Gakuen La Blue Girl. Daiei. La blue girl OVA collection. Subtitled VHS. Central Park Media Corporation, 1996.
- Kobayashi, T., & Komura, T. (Directors). (1994). Magical twilight. Pink Pineapple. Subtitled VHS. SoftCel Pictures, 1994.
- Lamarre, T. (2004). An introduction to Otaku movement. Entertext, 4(1), 151–187.
- Lamarre, T. (2006). Platonic sex: Perversion and shôjo anime (Part one). Animation, 1(1), 45–59. CrossRef
- Miyao, D. (2002). Before anime: Animation and the pure film movement in pre-war Japan. Japan Forum, 14(2), 191–209. CrossRef
- Miyazaki, H. (Director). (1997). Mononoke Hime. Studio Ghibli. Princess Mononoke. Subtitled DVD. Miramax, 2000.
- Miyazaki, H. (Director). (2001). Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi. Studio Ghibli. Spirited away. Subtitled DVD. Walt Disney Video, 2003.
- McLelland, M. (2006, January). A short history of ‘Hentai.’ Intersections, 12. Available at http://wwwsshe.murdoch.edu.au/intersections/issue12/mclelland.html. Accessed 12 July 2006.
- McCrea, C. (2008). Explosive, expulsive, extraordinary: The dimensional excess of animated bodies. Animation, 3(1), 9–24. CrossRef
- Nakao, S. (1995). Japanese-English English-Japanese dictionary. New York: Random House.
- Napier, S. J. (2000). Anime: From Akira to Princess Mononoke. New York, NY: Palgrave.
- Nelson, A. N. (1962). The modern reader’s Japanese-English character dictionary (2nd ed.). Tokyo: Charles E. Tuttle Co.
- Patten, F. (2004). The anime “porn” market. In F. Patten (Ed.), Essays and reviews (pp. 110–118). Berkeley, California: Stone Bridge Press.
- Perper, T., & Cornog, M. (2002). Eroticism for the masses: Japanese manga comics and their assimilation into the U.S. Sexuality and Culture, 6(1), 3–126. CrossRef
- Pointon, S. (1997). Transcultural orgasm as apocalypse: Urotsukidoji: The legend of the Overfiend. Wide Angle, 19(3), 41–63.
- Satoshi, K. (Director). (1998). Perfect blue. Rex Entertainment. Subtitled DVD. Manga Video, 2000.
- Sekita, O. (Director). (1991). U-Jin brand. JC Staff, Animate. Subtitled VHS. Central Park Media Corporation, 1993.
- Shigematsu, S. (1999). Dimensions of desire: Sex, fantasy, and fetish in Japanese comics. In J. A. Lent (Ed.), Themes and issues in Asian cartooning: Cute, cheap, mad and sexy (pp. 127–163). Bowling Green, OH: Bowling Green State University Popular Press.
- Slade, J. W. (1997). Pornography in the late nineties. Wide Angle, 19(3), 1–12.
- Sobchack, V. (1992). The address of the eye: A phenomenology of film experience. Princeton, NJ: Princeton UP.
- Takayama, H. (Director). (1987). Chôjin Densetsu Urotsukidôji. Urotsukidoji OVA Perfect Collection. Subtitled VHS. Central Park Media Corporation, 1993.
- Toyooka, K., et al. (Director). (1994). New angel. Studio Angel, Pink Pineapple. Subtitled VHS. SoftCel Pictures, 1994.
- Williams, L. (1999). Hard core: Power, pleasure and the “Frenzy of the visible” (expanded edition). Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Yamada, K., et al. (Directors). (1992). Mamono Hunter Yôko. Madhouse, NCS, Toho. Devil Hunter Yohko. Subtitled VHS. Released in North America by A.D. Vision.
- Yamamoto, Y., & Yamaguchi, M. (Directors). (1993). Utsukishiki Sei no Dendôshi Rei Rei. KSS, AIC. Rei Rei. Subtitled DVD. SoftCel Pictures, 2003.
- Yuyama, K., & Watanabe, T. (Directors). (1994). Otenki Oneesan. OB Planning, Toho. Weather report girl. Subtitled VHS. Critical Mass Video, 1996.
- Peek-a-boo, I See You: Watching Japanese Hard-core Animation
Sexuality & Culture
Volume 13, Issue 1 , pp 17-31
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Phenomenology of film
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 35/8 Duncan Street, Brisbane, QLD, 4006, Australia