Who wrote my secret life? An evaluation of possibilities and a tentative suggestion
- Vern L. Bullough
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
My Secret Life is an invaluable source of information on sexual activity in the last part of the 19th century. It tells about prices of prostitutes, homosexual encounters, age of consent, and other similar information not available anywhere else. Scholars have long sought to identify the anonymous author. Gershon Legman, who wrote the introduction to the latest reprinting of My Secret Life, identified the author as Henry Spencer Ashbee, but most who have studied the manuscript do not accept this identification. The problem then is to find someone else. This paper examines various candidates, one of whom seems more likely than the others. No final solution is offered but it is hoped that, by laying out the facts, additional data will surface, which will better enable us to identify the author of not only the longest sexual autobiography in English history but probably the longest autobiography ever published.
- Anonymous (1967). Ironmasters and duke’s agent: the Sheffield and Rotherham bank. The Three Banks Review, No. 73 (March), pp. 36–50.
- Boase, F. (1965). Modern English biography. New York: Barnes and Noble. A repritn of the 1908 edition. London: n.p. Supplement 1, pp. 178–179.
- Charlton County Lancaster Registration District (1845). First quarter, 23 March. Dictionary of national biography (1901). Milne; vol 28, 18–19; Sala, vol. 50, 175–76; Walter, vol. 59. 256; Supplement 1. Ashbee, 79–80. London: Smith, Elder, & Co.
- Farmer, J. S.? (1901). Suburban souls: The erotic psychology of a man and a maid. Paris: [Carrington], 3 vols.
- Farrell, C. (1982). A curious and uncommon man. Henry Spencer Ashbee reconsidered. American Book Collector 3:(3) 43–52; (4) 2–18; (5) 11–23.
- Fraxi, P. (1962). Bibliography of prohibited books. 3 vols. New York: Jack Brussell.
- Fryer, P. (1966). Private case-public scandal. London: Secker and Warburg.
- Hare, A. J. C. (1896). The Story of My Life. London: George Allen, 6 volumes.
- Kearney, P. (1981). The private case: An annotated bibliography of the private case erotica collection in the British museum. Introduction by G. Legman. London: Jay Landesman.
- Kronhausen, P. & Kronhausen, E. (1967). Walter: The English casanova. London: Polybooks.
- Law List Counsel (1852). London, p. 81.
- Leeds Mercury (1854). Supplement, 22 July, p. 9a and 11c.
- Legman, G. (1964). The horn book. New York: University Books.
- Manchester Cathedral (1882). Baptismal Records, 20 October.
- Marcus, S. (1966). The other Victorians. New York: Basic Books.
- My Secret Life (Rep. 1966). Introduction by Gershon Legman. 11 vols. in 1. New York: Grove Press.
- My Secret Life (n.d. c. 1888–1893). Brussels? 11 vols. Copy in the Kinsey Institute for Sex Research Library, Bloomington, IN.
- Potter, W. S. (1873–1876). The romance of lust. 4 vols. London, n.p.
- Regina v. Richard Clarke, (1854).
- Public Record Office (1854). Crimean War, War Office 369, para. 774, p. 37.
- Public Record Office (1862). Passport List, FO#611, #11, passport no. $55235, 24 March.
- Salford County, Lancaster (1895). Death Registry, vol. 8d, p. 89.
- Sala, G. A. (1859). Twice around the clock: Or the hours of the day and night in London. London: Houlston & Wright.
- Sala, G. A. (1895). The life and adventures of George Augustus Sala. 2 vols. New York: Charles Scribner.
- Schreiner, C. J. (1989). Compendium: Being a list of all the books listed in our catalogs 1–6. Brooklyn: C.J. Scheiner.
- [Sellon, E.] (1867)]. The ups and downs of life: A fragment. London: [William Dugdale].
- Sheffield Directory (1822). History, directory and gazetteer of the County of York, vol. 1, West Riding, p. 334, 344.
- Sheffield Metropolitan District Archives (1883). Department #LD2098/11.
- Somerset House (1884). London Registry of Wills Probated, 24 December.
- Somerset House (1885). London Registry of Wills, Probated, 6 February, Book 10, p. 66.
- Times, London, (1854). 22 July, p. 11.
- West Yorkshire (1883). Registry of Deeds, Wakefield, vol. 893, 26 Jan., p. 29, No. 45.
- Who wrote my secret life? An evaluation of possibilities and a tentative suggestion
Sexuality and Culture
Volume 4, Issue 1 , pp 37-60
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Vern L. Bullough (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 3304 West Sierra Drive, 91362, Westlake Village, CA