Why Does Academic Medicine Allow Ghostwriting? A Prescription for Reform
368 Downloads 200 Citations 9 Comments
This article was accepted for publication on May 3, 2011.
- Brian, D., & Thacker, P. 2010. POGO letter to NIH on ghostwriting academics [Internet]. Washington, DC; Nov 29 [cited 2011 Feb 2]. Project on Government Oversight. Available from: http://www.pogo.org/pogo-files/letters/public-health/ph-iis-20101129.html.
- Collins, F. S. 2010. NIH response letter to Paul Thacker POGO on ghostwriting academics [Internet]. Washington, DC; Feb 17 [cited 2011 Feb 2]. Project on Government Oversight. Available from: http://pogoblog.typepad.com/pogo/nih-response-to-pogo-on-ghostwriting-20110217.html.
- Healy, D., & Cattell, D. 2003. Interface between authorship, industry and science in the domain of therapeutics. British Journal of Psychiatry [Internet]. Jul 1 [cited 2011 Feb 2];183(1):22–27. Available from: http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/abstract/183/1/22.
- Jureidini, J. N., McHenry, L. B., & Mansfield, P. R. 2008. Clinical trials and drug promotion: Selective reporting of study 329. International Journal of Risk and Safety in Medicine, 20(1–2), 73–81.
- Lacasse, J. R., & Leo, J. 2010. Ghostwriting at elite academic medical centers in the United States. PLoS Medicine [Internet]. Feb 2;7(2):e1000230. Available from: http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.10002 International Committee of Medical Journal Editors.
- Leo, J., & Lacasse, J.R. 2010. Ghostwriting and Academic Medicine. Chronicle of higher education. [Internet] Jul 19, 2010. Available at: http://chronicle.com/article/GhostwritingAcademic/123613/
- Moffatt, B., & Elliott, C. 2007. Ghost marketing: pharmaceutical companies and ghostwritten journal articles. Perspective Biology and Medicine [Internet]. [cited 2011 Feb 2];50(1):18–31. Available from: http://www.webcitation.org/5wJIVyU8j.
- Sismondo, S. 2007. Ghost management: how much of the medical literature is shaped behind the scenes by the pharmaceutical industry? PLoS Medicine [Internet]. Sep [cited 2011 Feb 2];4(9):e286. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0040286.
- 2009. Uniform requirements for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals: Ethical considerations in the conduct and reporting of research: Authorship and contributorship [Internet]. Available from: http://www.icmje.org/ethical_1author.html.
- Why Does Academic Medicine Allow Ghostwriting? A Prescription for Reform
Volume 48, Issue 5 , pp 371-375
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, Lincoln Memorial University, Harrogate, TN, 37752, USA
- 2. Center for Applied Behavioral Health Policy, College of Public Programs, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ, 85004, USA
- 3. College of Public Programs, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ, 85004, USA