Synovial Chondrosarcoma Arising in Synovial Chondromatosis of the Temporomandibular Joint
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Synovial chondromatosis of the temporomandibular joint is rare. Even less commonly documented is the progression of synovial chondromatosis to a synovial chondrosarcoma. The aim of this paper is to present only the third case of synovial chondrosarcoma of the temporomandibular joint. Distinction between these two entities by histology alone is extremely difficult and even though it is advised that the definitive diagnosis should be based on clinical, radiographic and histological evidence, this has proved not to be so simple. The patient, a 63 year old female presented with a swelling associated with her left temporomandibular joint. CT and MRI scans confirmed the presence of a periauricular chondroid mass. Fine needle aspiration biopsy revealed an atypical chondroid lesion that was supicious for a chondrosarcoma. The left temporomandibular joint and surrounding tissues were resected after further imaging and extensive clinical, radiological and cytologic consultations. A diagnosis of synovial chondrosarcoma arising in synovial chondromatosis was made.
- Ischi J, Kino K, Kobayashi J, et al. Synovial chondromatosis of the temporomandibular joint: long-term postoperative follow-up of the residual calcification. J Med Dent Sci. 2003;50:133–7.
- Barnes L. Surgical pathology of the head and neck. 2nd ed. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc; 2001. p. 1058–61.
- Wu CW, Chen YK, Lin LM, et al. Primary synovial chondromatosis of the temporomandibular joint. J Otolaryngol. 2004;33:114–9. CrossRef
- Mupparapu M. Synovial chondromatosis of the temporomandibular joint with extension to the middle cranial fossa. J Postgrad Med. 2005;51:122–4.
- Ardekian L, Faquin W, Troulis MJ, et al. Synovial chobndromatosis of the temporomandibular joint; report and analysis of eleven cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005;63:941–7. CrossRef
- Warner BF, Luna MA, Newland JR. Temporomandibular joint neoplasms and pseudotumours. Adv Anat Pathol. 2000;7:365–81. CrossRef
- Sciot R, Bridge JA. Synovial chondromatosis. In: Fletcher CDM, Bridge JA, Hogendoorn PCW, Mertens F, editors. World health organisation classification of tumors. Pathology and genetics of soft tissues and bone. Lyon: IARC Press; 2013. p. 261.
- Axhausen G. Pathologie und therapie des kiefergelenks. Fortschr Zahnheilk. 1933;9:171.
- Sperling BL, Angel S, Stoneham G, et al. Synovial chondromatosis and chondrosarcoma: a diagnostic dilemma. Sarcoma. 2003;7:69–73. CrossRef
- Blokx WAM, Rasing LAJ, Beth RPH, et al. Late malignant transformation of biopsy proven benign synovial chondromatosis: an unexpected pitfall. Histopathology. 2000;36:564–72. CrossRef
- Hermann G, Klein MJ, Abdelwahab IF, et al. Synovial chondrosarcoma arising in synovial chondromatosis of the right hip. Skeletal Radiol. 1997;26:366–9. CrossRef
- Wuisman PI, Noorda RJ, Jutte PC. Chondrosarcoma secondary to synovial chondromatosis. Report of two cases and a review of the literature. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 1997;116:307–11. CrossRef
- Campanucci DA, Matera D, Franchi A, et al. Synovial chondrosarcoma of the hip: report of two cases and literature review. Chir Organi Mov. 2008;92:139–44. CrossRef
- Bertoni F, Unni KK, Beabout JW, et al. Chondrosarcomas of the synovium. Cancer. 1991;67:155–62. CrossRef
- Merrill RG, Yih W-Y, Shamloo J. Synovial chondrosarcoma of the temporomandibular joint: a case report. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1997;55:1312–6. CrossRef
- Ichikawa T, Miyauchi M, Nikai N, et al. Synovial chondrosarcoma arising in the temporomandibular joint. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1998;56:890–4. CrossRef
- Eefting D, Schrage YM, Geirnaerdt MJ, et al. Assessment of interobserver variability and histologic parameters to improve reliability in classification and grading of central cartilaginous tumors. Am J Surg Pathol. 2009;33:50–7. CrossRef
- Saito K, Unni KK, Wollan PC, Lund BA. Chondrosarcoma of the jaw and facial bones. Cancer. 1995;76:1550–8. CrossRef
- Franklin CD. Pathology of the temporomandibular joint. Current Diagnostic Pathology. 2006;12:31–9. CrossRef
- Shafer WG, Hine MK, Levy BM, editors. A textbook of oral pathology. 4th ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1983.
- Unni KK, Inwards CY, Bridge JA, et al. Tumours of the bones and joints, AFIP atlas of tumor pathology 4th Series. Washington: ARP Press; 2005.
- Unni KK, Inwards CY, editors. Dahlin’s bone tumors. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2010.
- Inwards C. Update on cartilage forming tumors of the head and neck. Head Neck Pathol. 2007;1:67–74. CrossRef
- Davis RJ, Hamilton A, Biggart JD. Primary synovial chondromatosis: a clinicopathologic review and assessment of malignant potential. Human Pathol. 1998;29:683–8. CrossRef
- Synovial Chondrosarcoma Arising in Synovial Chondromatosis of the Temporomandibular Joint
Head and Neck Pathology
Volume 7, Issue 3 , pp 304-309
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Mandibular condyle
- Synovial chondromatosis
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Tissue Pathology and Diagnostic Oncology, Pathology West—ICPMR Westmead, University of Sydney, Locked Bag 9001, Westmead, NSW, 2145, Australia
- 2. Austpath Laboratories, Sydney, Australia
- 3. Westmead Hospital, Sydney, Australia
- 4. University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
- 5. Douglass Hanly Moir Pathology, Sydney, Australia