Unmasking MASC: Bringing to Light the Unique Morphologic, Immunohistochemical and Genetic Features of the Newly Recognized Mammary Analogue Secretory Carcinoma of Salivary Glands
- Justin A. Bishop
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Mammary analogue secretory carcinoma (MASC) is a recently described salivary gland neoplasm that is characterized by its striking morphologic and molecular similarities to secretory carcinoma of the breast. This review highlights the characteristic clinical, histologic, immunophenotypic, and molecular features of MASC, and draws attention to the differential diagnosis of this increasingly recognized tumor.
- Skalova, A, Vanecek, T, Sima, R (2010) Mammary analogue secretory carcinoma of salivary glands, containing the ETV6–NTRK3 fusion gene: a hitherto undescribed salivary gland tumor entity. Am J Surg Pathol 34: pp. 599-608
- Bishop JA, Yonescu R, Batista D et al. Most non-parotid “acinic cell carcinomas” represent mammary analoge secretory carcinomas. Am J Surg Pathol. 2013 (in Press).
- Bishop JA, Yonescu R, Batista DA et al. Cytopathologic features of mammary analogue secretory carcinoma. Cancer Cytopathol. 2012 (in Press).
- Kratochvil, FJ, Stewart, JC, Moore, SR (2012) Mammary analog secretory carcinoma of salivary glands: a report of 2 cases in the lips. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 114: pp. 630-635 CrossRef
- Levine P, Fried K, Krevitt LD et al. Aspiration biopsy of mammary analogue secretory carcinoma of accessory parotid gland: Another diagnostic dilemma in matrix-containing tumors of the salivary glands. Diagn Cytopathol. 2012 (in Press).
- Pisharodi L. Mammary analog secretory carcinoma of salivary gland: cytologic diagnosis and differential diagnosis of an unreported entity. Diagn Cytopathol. 2013;41(3):239–41.
- Chiosea, SI, Griffith, C, Assaad, A (2012) Clinicopathological characterization of mammary analogue secretory carcinoma of salivary glands. Histopathology 61: pp. 387-394 CrossRef
- Chiosea, SI, Griffith, C, Assaad, A (2012) The profile of acinic cell carcinoma after recognition of mammary analog secretory carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol 36: pp. 343-350 CrossRef
- Ito, S, Ishida, E, Skalova, A (2012) Case report of Mammary Analog Secretory Carcinoma of the parotid gland. Pathol Int 62: pp. 149-152 CrossRef
- Lei Y, Chiosea SI. Re-evaluating historic cohort of salivary acinic cell carcinoma with new diagnostic tools. Head Neck Pathol. 2012;6(2):166–70.
- Connor, A, Perez-Ordonez, B, Shago, M (2012) Mammary analog secretory carcinoma of salivary gland origin with the ETV6 gene rearrangement by FISH: expanded morphologic and immunohistochemical spectrum of a recently described entity. Am J Surg Pathol 36: pp. 27-34 CrossRef
- Fehr, A, Loning, T, Stenman, G (2011) Mammary analogue secretory carcinoma of the salivary glands with ETV6–NTRK3 gene fusion. Am J Surg Pathol 35: pp. 1600-1602 CrossRef
- Rastatter, JC, Jatana, KR, Jennings, LJ (2012) Mammary analogue secretory carcinoma of the parotid gland in a pediatric patient. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 146: pp. 514-515 CrossRef
- Petersson, F, Lian, D, Chau, YP (2012) Mammary analogue secretory carcinoma: the first submandibular case reported including findings on fine needle aspiration cytology. Head Neck Pathol 6: pp. 135-139 CrossRef
- Griffith, C, Seethala, R, Chiosea, SI (2011) Mammary analogue secretory carcinoma: a new twist to the diagnostic dilemma of zymogen granule poor acinic cell carcinoma. Virchows Arch 459: pp. 117-118 CrossRef
- Sams RN, Gnepp DR. P63 Expression can be used in differential diagnosis of salivary gland acinic cell and mucoepidermoid carcinomas. Head Neck Pathol. 2012 (in Press).
- Tognon, C, Knezevich, SR, Huntsman, D (2002) Expression of the ETV6–NTRK3 gene fusion as a primary event in human secretory breast carcinoma. Cancer Cell 2: pp. 367-376 CrossRef
- Knezevich, SR, McFadden, DE, Tao, W (1998) A novel ETV6–NTRK3 gene fusion in congenital fibrosarcoma. Nat Genet 18: pp. 184-187 CrossRef
- Rubin, BP, Chen, CJ, Morgan, TW (1998) Congenital mesoblastic nephroma t(12, 15) is associated with ETV6–NTRK3 gene fusion: cytogenetic and molecular relationship to congenital (infantile) fibrosarcoma. Am J Pathol 153: pp. 1451-1458 CrossRef
- Kralik, JM, Kranewitter, W, Boesmueller, H (2011) Characterization of a newly identified ETV6–NTRK3 fusion transcript in acute myeloid leukemia. Diagn Pathol 6: pp. 19 CrossRef
- Walz, C, Erben, P, Ritter, M (2011) Response of ETV6-FLT3-positive myeloid/lymphoid neoplasm with eosinophilia to inhibitors of FMS-like tyrosine kinase 3. Blood 118: pp. 2239-2242 CrossRef
- Gardner, DG, Bell, ME, Wesley, RK (1980) Acinic cell tumors of minor salivary glands. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 50: pp. 545-551 CrossRef
- Omlie, JE, Koutlas, IG (2010) Acinic cell carcinoma of minor salivary glands: a clinicopathologic study of 21 cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68: pp. 2053-2057 CrossRef
- Castellanos, JL, Lally, ET (1982) Acinic cell tumor of the minor salivary glands. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40: pp. 428-431 CrossRef
- Zbaeren, P, Lehmann, W, Widgren, S (1991) Acinic cell carcinoma of minor salivary gland origin. J Laryngol Otol 105: pp. 782-785 CrossRef
- Unmasking MASC: Bringing to Light the Unique Morphologic, Immunohistochemical and Genetic Features of the Newly Recognized Mammary Analogue Secretory Carcinoma of Salivary Glands
Head and Neck Pathology
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 35-39
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Mammary analogue secretory carcinoma
- Secretory carcinoma
- Acinic cell carcinoma
- Justin A. Bishop (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 401 N. Broadway, Weinberg 2242, Baltimore, MD, 21231, USA