Small Cell Carcinoma ex-Pleomorphic Adenoma of the Parotid Gland
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Small cell carcinoma (SCC) is a high-grade malignancy usually encountered in the lungs but also seen in almost any site including the salivary glands. SCC is important to recognize because it often metastasizes widely and is treated with systemic chemotherapy. Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma is a malignant epithelial neoplasm arising in a pre-existing benign mixed tumor (i.e., pleomorphic adenoma, PA). While virtually any salivary carcinoma can arise from a PA, to our knowledge SCC ex-PA has not been described. We report a case of a woman presenting with fullness of the right neck and a parotid gland mass. The tumor was resected and evaluated grossly, by light microscopy, and by immunohistochemistry. Grossly, a 1.6 cm well-circumscribed nodule was identified within the parotid. Microscopic examination revealed foci of SCC associated with high-grade adenocarcinoma, in the background of a PA. The SCC was immunoreactive for cytokeratin in a dot-like pattern and neuroendocrine markers synaptophysin and CD56. Despite the focal nature of the SCC in the parotid, a pure SCC metastasis was present in one neck level II lymph node. The patient was free of disease with 8 months of follow-up. Our case illustrates that: (1) although rare, in the salivary glands SCC may arise from lower grade neoplasms including PAs; (2) SCC ex PA may metastasize as pure SCC even if the primary SCC component was focal; (3) adequate sampling of PAs is crucial to prevent missing a rare SCC that must be treated with chemotherapy.
- Gnepp DR, Brandwein-Gensler M, El-Naggar AK, et al. Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma. In: Barnes L, Eveson JW, Reichart P, Sidransky D, editors. World Health Organization classification of tumours: pathology and genetics of head and neck tumours. Lyon: IARC Press; 2005. p. 242–243.
- Lewis JE, Olsen KD, Sebo TJ. Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma: pathologic analysis of 73 cases. Hum Pathol. 2001;32:596–604. CrossRef
- Ellis GL, Auclair PL. Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma. In: AFIP atlas of tumor pathology: tumors of the salivary glands. Vol 9, 4th ed. Washington: ARP Press; 2008.
- Levenson RM Jr, Ihde DC, Matthews MJ, et al. Small cell carcinoma presenting as an extrapulmonary neoplasm: sites of origin and response to chemotherapy. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1981;67:607–12.
- Remick SC, Ruckdeschel JC. Extrapulmonary and pulmonary small-cell carcinoma: tumor biology, therapy, and outcome. Med Pediatr Oncol. 1992;20:89–99. CrossRef
- Weng CT, Chu PY, Liu MT, et al. Small cell carcinoma of the head and neck: a single institution’s experience and review of the literature. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008;37:788–93.
- Hatoum GF, Patton B, Takita C, et al. Small cell carcinoma of the head and neck: the university of Miami experience. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009;74:477–81. CrossRef
- Renner G. Small cell carcinoma of the head and neck: a review. Semin Oncol. 2007;34:3–14. CrossRef
- Gnepp DR, Corio RL, Brannon RB. Small cell carcinoma of the major salivary glands. Cancer. 1986;58:705–14. CrossRef
- Rekhtman N. Neuroendocrine tumors of the lung: an update. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010;134:1628–38.
- Hisa Y, Tatemoto K. Bilateral parotid gland metastases as the initial manifestation of a small cell carcinoma of the lung. Am J Otolaryngol. 1998;19:140–3. CrossRef
- Ulubas B, Ozcan C, Polat A. Small cell lung cancer diagnosed with metastasis in parotid gland. J Craniofac Surg. 2010;21:781–3. CrossRef
- Nagao T, Gaffey TA, Olsen KD, et al. Small cell carcinoma of the major salivary glands: clinicopathologic study with emphasis on cytokeratin 20 immunoreactivity and clinical outcome. Am J Surg Pathol. 2004;28:762–70. CrossRef
- Gnepp DR, Wick MR. Small cell carcinoma of the major salivary glands: an immunohistochemical study. Cancer. 1990;66:185–92. CrossRef
- Chander S, Ergün EL, Westphal S, et al. Small cell carcinoma of the parotid gland: evaluation with FDG PET imaging. Clin Nucl Med. 2004;29:502–3. CrossRef
- Vural C, Dogan O, Yavuz E, et al. Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the parotid gland. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2000;122:151–2. CrossRef
- Witt RL. Primary small cell carcinoma of the parotid gland. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1996;114:826–9. CrossRef
- Olsen KD, Lewis JE. Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma: a clinicopathologic review. Head Neck. 2001;23:705–12. CrossRef
- Ellis GL, Auclair PL. Small cell carcinoma. In: AFIP atlas of tumor pathology: tumors of the salivary glands. Vol 9, 4th ed. Washington: ARP Press; 2008. pp 332–341.
- Small Cell Carcinoma ex-Pleomorphic Adenoma of the Parotid Gland
Head and Neck Pathology
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 502-506
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma
- Carcinoma ex mixed tumor
- Malignant mixed tumor
- Small cell carcinoma
- Parotid gland
- Salivary glands
- Author Affiliations
- 1. From the Departments of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 600 N. Wolfe St., Pathology Building 401, Baltimore, MD, 21287, USA
- 4. The School of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
- 2. Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
- 3. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA