Fascin Over Expression is Associated with Dysplastic Changes in Sinonasal Inverted Papillomas: A Study of 47 Cases
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sinonasal inverted papilloma (IP) is a primary benign lesion with a tendency for local recurrence. Malignant transformation may develop in up to 15% of cases. Fascin (Fascin 1) is an actin cross-link binding protein required for the formation of actin-based cell-surface protrusions and cell motility. Fascin up-regulation in lung, gastric, breast and hepatobiliary carcinomas correlates with aggressiveness and decreased survival. Here we evaluate immunohistochemical expression of fascin in 47 sinonasal IPs from 34 patients. Fascin over-expression is significantly more common in sinonasal IP with high-grade dysplasia than in those with no dysplastic or low-grade dysplastic epithelium (P = 0.0001). No significant change in fascin expression is seen with recurrence. Over expression of fascin in high-grade dysplastic epithelium in IP may be associated with tumor progression and malignant transformation.
- von Buchwald C, Bradley PJ. Risks of malignancy in inverted papilloma of the nose and paranasal sinuses. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007;15:95–8. CrossRef
- Lawson W, Ho BT, Shaari CM, et al. Inverted papilloma: a report of 112 cases. Laryngoscope. 1995;105:282–8. CrossRef
- Tanvetyanon T, Qin D, Padhya T, et al. Survival outcomes of squamous cell carcinoma arising from sinonasal inverted papilloma: report of 6 cases with systematic review and pooled analysis. Am J Otolaryngol. 2009;30:38–43. CrossRef
- Altavilla G, Staffieri A, Busatto G, et al. Expression of p53, p16 (INK4A), pRb, p21 (WAF1/CIP1), p27 (KIP1), cyclin D1, Ki-67 and HPV DNA in sinonasal endophytic Schneiderian (inverted) papilloma. Acta Otolaryngol. 2008; 1–8. doi:10.1080/00016480802620647.
- Kim J, Yoon J, Citardi MJ, Batra PS, Roh H. The prevalence of human papilloma virus infection in sinonasal inverted papilloma specimens classified by histological grade. Am J Rhinol. 2007;21:664–9. CrossRef
- Lawson W, Schlecht NF, Brandwein-Gensler M. The role of the human papillomavirus in the pathogenesis of Schneiderian inverted papillomas: an analytic overview of the evidence. Head Neck Pathol. 2008;2:49–59. CrossRef
- Barbieri PG, Tomenzoli D, Morassi L, et al. Sino-nasal inverted papillomas and occupational etiology. G Ital Med Lav Ergon. 2005;27:422–6.
- Eggers G, Muhling J, Hassfeld S. Inverted papilloma of paranasal sinuses. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2007;35:21–9.
- Katori H, Nozawa A, Tsukuda M. Increased expression of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and 9 and human papilloma virus infection are associated with malignant transformation of sinonasal inverted papilloma. J Surg Oncol. 2006;93:80–5. CrossRef
- Ozolek JA, Barnes EL, Hunt JL. Basal/myoepithelial cells in chronic sinusitis, respiratory epithelial adenomatoid hamartoma, inverted papilloma, and intestinal-type and nonintestinal-type sinonasal adenocarcinoma: an immunohistochemical study. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2007;131:530–7.
- Gunia S, Liebe D, Koch S. Loss of basal cell keratin 14 reflects increased risk of recurrence in surgically resected sinonasal inverted papilloma. J Clin Pathol. 2008;61:707–12. CrossRef
- Katori H, Nozawa A, Tsukuda M. Markers of malignant transformation in sinonasal inverted papilloma. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2005;31:905–11. CrossRef
- Wang A, Liu H, Zhang Y. Increased expression of fascin associated with malignant transformation of sinonasal inverted papilloma. Chin Med J. 2007;120:375–9.
- Kane RE. Preparation and purification of polymerized actin from sea-urchin egg extracts. J Cell Biol. 1975;66:305–15. CrossRef
- Yamashiro-Matsumura S, Matsumura F. Purification and characterization of an F-actin-bundling 55-kilodalton protein from HeLa cells. J Biol Chem. 1985;260:5087–97.
- Adams JC. Roles of fascin in cell adhesion and motility. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2004;16:590–6. CrossRef
- Vignjevic D, Schoumacher M, Gavert N, et al. Fascin, a novel target of β-Catenin-TCF signaling, is expressed at the invasive front of human colon cancer. Cancer Res. 2007;67:6844–53. CrossRef
- Zhang FR, Tao LH, Shen ZY, et al. Fascin expression in human embryonic, fetal, and normal adult tissue. J Histochem Cytochem. 2008;56:193–9. CrossRef
- Kureishy N, Sapountzi V, Prag S, et al. Fascins, and their roles in cell structure and function. Bioessays. 2002;24:350–61. CrossRef
- Hashimoto Y, Skacel M, Adams JC. Roles of fascin in human carcinoma motility and signaling: Prospects for a novel biomarker? Int J Bioch Cell Biol. 2005;37:1787–804. CrossRef
- Tong G-X, Yee H, Chiriboga L, et al. Fascin-1 expression in papillary and invasive urothelial carcinomas of the urinary bladder. Hum Pathol. 2005;36:741–6. CrossRef
- Liang J, Mittal KR, Wei JJ, et al. Utility of p16INK4a, CEA, Ki67, p53 and ER/PR in the differential diagnosis of benign, premalignant, and malignant glandular lesions of the uterine cervix and their relationship with Silverberg scoring system for endocervical glandular lesions. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2007;26:71–5. CrossRef
- Munro BH. Statistical methods for health care research. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2005.
- Iguchi T, Aishima S, Taketomi A, et al. Fascin overexpression is involved in carcinogenesis and prognosis of human intrahepatic cholangiocarinoma: immunohistochemical and molecular analysis. Hum Pathol. 2009;40:174–80. CrossRef
- Chen G, Zhang F, Ren J, et al. Expression of fascin in thyroid neoplasms: a novel diagnostic marker. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2008;134:947–51. CrossRef
- Vignjevic D, Kojima S, Aratyn Y, et al. Role of fascin in filopodial protrusion. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:863–75. CrossRef
- Hashimoto Y, Skacel M, Lavery IC, et al. Prognostic significance of fascin in advanced colorectal cancer: an immunohistochemical study of colorectal adenomas and adenocarcinomas. BMC Cancer. 2006;6:241–51. CrossRef
- Tsai W, Chao Y, Sheu L, et al. Overexpression of fascin-1 in advanced colorectal adenocarcinoma: Tissue microarray analysis of immunostaining scores with clinicopathological parameters. Dis Markers. 2007;23:153–60.
- Tsai W, Sheu L, Nieh S, et al. Association of EMMPRIN and fascin expression in renal cell carcinoma: correlation with clinicopathological parameters. World J Urol. 2007;25:73–80. CrossRef
- Karasavvidou F, Barbanis S, Pappa D, et al. Fascin determination in urothelial carcinomas of the urinary bladder. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2008;132:1912–5.
- Fascin Over Expression is Associated with Dysplastic Changes in Sinonasal Inverted Papillomas: A Study of 47 Cases
Head and Neck Pathology
Volume 3, Issue 3 , pp 212-216
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press Inc
- Additional Links
- Sinonasal inverted papilloma
- Malignant transformation