Hyalinizing Clear Cell Carcinoma: Report of Eight Cases and a Review of Literature
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma (HCCC) is an extremely rare neoplasm with a female predominance, composed of nests of monomorphic clear cells within a hyaline stroma. This tumor often follows an indolent course and treatment includes wide surgical excision with or without adjuvant radiotherapy. We report eight cases of HCCC identified at two academic institutions in six women and two men, ranging in age from 25 to 86 years. Histologically, all cases demonstrated cords, trabeculae, and nests of monomorphic clear cells as well as cells with eosinophilic granular cytoplasm. Mild cellular atypia was occasionally seen and mitoses were very rare. Seven cases demonstrated a hyalinized stroma, and one case, a myxoid stroma. Immunohistochemically, the tumor cells were positive for epithelial markers and negative for desmin and actin. Seven cases were negative for S-100. Cells were also positive for periodic acid-Schiff and negative for mucin. The important clinicopathologic features and the differential diagnoses of HCCC, as well as a review of the literature are discussed.
- Milchgrub S, Gnepp DR, Vuitch F, et al. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma of the salivary gland. Am J Surg Pathol. 1994;18(1):74–82. CrossRef
- Tang SK, Wan SK, Chan JK. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma of salivary gland: report of a case with multiple recurrences over 12 years. Am J Surg Pathol. 1995;19(2):240–1. CrossRef
- Okón K, Modrzejewski M, Strék P. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma of the salivary gland. A case report. Pol J Pathol. 1996;47(1):33–6.
- Urban SD, Deith DA, Goodman M. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma: report of a case. J Oral Pathol Med. 1996;25(10):562–4. CrossRef
- Rinaldo A, McLaren KM, Boccato P, et al. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma of the oral cavity and of the parotid gland. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 1999;61(1):48–51.
- Berho M, Huvos AG. Central hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma of the mandible and the maxilla a clinicopathologic study of two cases with an analysis of the literature. Hum Pathol. 1999;30(1):101–5. CrossRef
- Ereño C, Grande J, Alija V, Yamoz J, et al. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma of the hypopharynx metastasizing to the lung: a case report. Histopathology. 2000;37(1):89–91. CrossRef
- Milchgrub S, Vuitch F, Saboorian MH, et al. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma of salivary glands in fine-needle aspiration. Diagn Cytopathol. 2000;23(5):333–7. CrossRef
- Boccato P, Rinaldo A, McLaren KM. A rare tumor of salivary gland origin: hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 2001;63(2):119–20.
- Grenevicki LF, Barker BF, Fiorella RM, et al. Clear cell carcinoma of the palate. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2001;30:452–4. CrossRef
- Manoharan M, Othman NH, Samsudin AR. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma of minor salivary gland: case report. Braz Dent J. 2002;12(1):66–9.
- Félix A, Rosa JC, Nunes JF, et al. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma of salivary glands: a study of extracellular matrix. Oral Oncol. 2002;38(4):364–8. CrossRef
- Balakrishnan R, Nayak DR, Pillai S, et al. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma of the base of the tongue. J Laryngol Otol. 2002;116(10):851–3. CrossRef
- Browne JD, Holland BW. Combined intraoral and lateral temporal approach for palatal malignancies with temporalis muscle reconstruction. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2002;128:531–7.
- O’Regan E, Shandilya M, Gnepp DR, et al. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma of salivary gland: an aggressive variant. Oral Oncol. 2004;40(3):348–52. CrossRef
- Chao TK, Tsai CC, Yeh SY, et al. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma of the hard palate. J Laryngol Otol. 2004;118(5):382–4. CrossRef
- Suzuki H, Katoh A, Udaka T, et al. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma arising from the base of the tongue. Acta Otolaryngol. 2006;126(6):653–6. CrossRef
- Meer S, Altini M. CK7+/CK20- immunoexpression profile is typical of salivary gland neoplasia. Histopathology. 2007;51(1):26–32. CrossRef
- Pujary K, Rangarajan S, Nayak DR, et al. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma of the base of tongue. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008;37(1):93–6. CrossRef
- Angiero F, Stefani M. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma arising on the anterior palatoglossal arch. Anticancer Res. 2007;27(6C):4271–7.
- Uzochukwu NO, Shrier DA, Lapoint RJ. Clear cell carcinoma of the base of the tongue: MR imaging findings. Am J Neuroradiol. 2007;28:127–8.
- Solar AA, Schmidt BL, Jordan RC. Hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma: case series and comprehensive review of the literature. Cancer. 2009;115(1):75–83. CrossRef
- Weinreb I, Seethala RR, Perez-Ordoñez B, et al. Oncocytic mucoepidermoid carcinoma: clinicopathologic description in a series of 12 cases. Am J Surgical Pathol. 2009;33(3):410–6.
- Maiorano E, Altini M, Favia G. Clear cell tumors of the salivary glands, jaws, and oral mucosa. Semin Diagn Pathol. 1997;14(3):201–12.
- Hyalinizing Clear Cell Carcinoma: Report of Eight Cases and a Review of Literature
Head and Neck Pathology
Volume 3, Issue 3 , pp 179-185
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press Inc
- Additional Links
- Clear cell carcinoma
- Salivary gland
- Oral cavity