Hamartomatous Angiolipoma of the Parotid Gland (Sialoangiolipoma)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Mesenchymal tumors of the salivary glands are rare and mostly localized to the parotid gland. We report on the clinico-pathological features of a distinct parotid tumor occurred in a newborn, showing glandular structures admixed with mature lipocytes and blood vessels in variable proportions. This was a well-circumscribed and slowly growing nodule of the superficial parotid lobe, mostly reddish in color with white-yellowish striations. Microscopically, a distinct lobular architecture was evident, along with normal-appearing acinar and ductal structures with interposed loose fibrous stroma. The latter contained aggregates of mature lipocytes and variably sized blood vessels. The morphological features of the lesion reported herein recapitulate those of sialolipoma but also include the presence of a prominent vascular component intimately admixed with both the glandular and the adipose tissues. At variance with salivary lipoadenoma, the glandular component in the current case distinctly showed all the cellular components of normal salivary (serous) glands. In consideration of the young age of the patient, the minimal growth rate and the histological features of the lesion, we hypothesize a hamartomatous origin for this lesion and propose the designation of sialoangiolipoma.
- Gnepp DR. Soft tissue tumors. In: Barnes L, Eveson JW, Reichart P, Sidransky D, editors. Histological typing of salivary gland tumors. World Health Organization classification of tumors. Pathology and genetics of head and neck tumors. Lyon: IARC Press; 2005. pp. 275–6.
- Seifert G, Donath K, Schafer R. Lipomatous pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland. Classification of lipomatous tissue in salivary glands. Pathol Res Pract 1999;195:247–52.
- Calhoun KH, Clark WD, Jones JD. Parotid lipoblastoma in an infant. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 1987;14:41–4. CrossRef
- Fregnani ER, Pires FR, Falzoni R, et al. Lipomas of the oral cavity: clinical findings, histological classification and proliferative activity of 46 cases. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2003;32:49–53. CrossRef
- Vinayak BC, Reddy KT. Hibernoma of the parotid region. J Laryngol Otol 1993;107:257–8.
- Kelly DR, Reilly JS, Royal SA. Angiolipoma of the parotid: case report and review. Laryngoscope 1988;98:818–21.
- Tsuda H, Morinaga S, Mukai K, et al. Hamartoma of the parotid gland: a case report with immunohistochemical and electron microscopic study. Virchows Arch A Pathol Anat Histopathol 1987;411:473–8. CrossRef
- Kreiger PA, Ernst LM, Elden LM, Kazahaya K, Alawi F, Russo PA. Hamartomatous tongue lesions in children. Am J Surg Pathol 2007;31:1186–90. CrossRef
- Hornigold R, Morgan PR, Pearce A, et al. Congenital sialolipoma of the parotid gland: first reported case and review of the literature. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2005;69:429–34. CrossRef
- Michaelidis IG, Stefanopoulos PK, Sambaziotis D, et al. Sialolipoma of the parotid gland. Int J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2006;34:43–6.
- Nagao T, Sugano I, Ishida Y, et al. Sialolipoma: a report of seven cases of a new variant of salivary gland lipoma. Histopathology 2001;38:30–6. CrossRef
- Hirokawa M, Bando Y, Tashiro T, et al. Parotid lipoadenoma with sclerotic and polycystic changes. Virchows Arch 2002;440:549–50. CrossRef
- Hirokawa M, Shimizu M, Manabe T, et al. Oncocytic lipoadenoma of the submandibular gland. Hum Pathol 1998;29:410–2. CrossRef
- Kato M, Horie Y. Oncocytic lipoadenoma of the parotid gland. Histopathology 2000;36:285–6. CrossRef
- Yau KC, Tsang WY, Chan JK. Lipoadenoma of the parotid gland with probable striated duct differentiation. Mod Pathol 1997;10:242–6.
- Ali MH, El Zuebi F. Angiolipoma of the cheek: report of a case. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1996;54:213–5. CrossRef
- Ida-Yonemochi H, Swelam W, Saito C, et al. Angiolipoma of the buccal mucosa: a possible role of mast cell-derived VEGF in its enhanced vascularity. J Oral Pathol Med 2005;34:59–61. CrossRef
- Hamakawa H, Hino H, Sumida T, et al. Infiltrating angiolipoma of the cheek: a case report and a review of the literature. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2000;58:674–7. CrossRef
- Sugiura J, Fujiwara K, Kurahashi I, et al. Infiltrating angiolipoma of the mucolabial fold: a case report and review of the literature. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1999;57:446–8. CrossRef
- Seifert G, Oehne H. Mesenchymal (non-epithelial) salivary gland tumors. Analysis of 167 tumor cases of the salivary gland register. Laryngol Rhinol Otol 1986;65:485–91. CrossRef
- Ogino S, Franks TJ, Deubner H, et al. Thymohemangiolipoma, a rare histologic variant of thymolipoma: a case report and review of the literature. Ann Diagn Pathol 2000;4:236–9. CrossRef
- Rohen C, Caselitz J, Stern C, et al. A hamartoma of the breast with an aberration of 12q mapped to the MAR region by fluorescence in situ hybridization. Cancer Genet Cytogenet 1995;84:82–4. CrossRef
- Wanschura S, Belge G, Stenman G, et al. Mapping of the translocation breakpoints of primary pleomorphic adenomas and lipomas within a common region of chromosome 12. Cancer Genet Cytogenet 1996;86:39–45. CrossRef
- Hamartomatous Angiolipoma of the Parotid Gland (Sialoangiolipoma)
Head and Neck Pathology
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 36-40
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press Inc
- Additional Links
- Salivary gland neoplasms
- Soft tissue tumors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pathological Anatomy, University of Bari, Piazza G. Cesare, 11, Bari, 70124, Italy
- 2. Department of Dental Sciences and Surgery, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
- 3. Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, “Giovanni XXIII” Paediatric Hospital, Bari, Italy
- 4. Division of Head and Neck Surgery, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy