Kawasaki Disease: Unusual Clinical Manifestations
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Kawasaki disease (KD) is an acute febrile systemic vasculitis of unknown etiology and was first described in 1967 in Japan  and later in the English-language literature in 1974 by Tomisaku Kawasaki, who suggested the name mucocutaneous lymph node syndrome .
No definitive diagnostic laboratory test exists for KD [3, 4]. Diagnosis of KD is based on constellation of clinical features and supportive laboratory findings.
In this issue of IJP; Singh et al. discuss about missing KD during childhood and subsequent coronary artery disease (CAD) in adulthood . They proposed that if incidence of KD is 4.54/100,000 in children below 15 y of age, about 17417 cases of KD may occur annually in India. In absence of authentic data it is difficult to confirm this figure but it can be assumed that majority of these patients are missed . This raises an important hypothesis that identifying KD during childhood and treating them with appropriate intervention may reduce risk of CAD in adults. It is ...
- Kawasaki T. Acute febrile mucocutaneous syndrome with lymphoid involvement with specific desquamation of the fingers and toes in children—clinical observation of 50 cases. Jpn J Allergy. 1967;16:178–222 [in Japanese].
- Kawasaki T, Kosaki F, Okawa S, Shigematsu I, Yanagawa H. A new infantile acute febrile mucocutaneous lymph node syndrome (MLNS) prevailing in Japan. Pediatrics. 1974;54:271–6.
- Shulman ST, Rowley AH. Advances in Kawasaki disease. Eur J Pediatr. 2004;163:285–91. CrossRef
- Burns JC, Glod MP. Kawasaki syndrome. Lancet. 2004;364:533–44. CrossRef
- Singh S, Aulakh R, Kawasaki T. Kawasaki disease and the emerging coronary artery disease epidemic in India: Is there a correlation? Indian J Pediatr. 2013. doi:10.1007/s12098-013-1229-y.
- Sridhar MR, Goel H, Anirudh D, Lodha R, Kabra SK. Kawasaki disease: Are we missing the diagnosis? Indian J Pediatr. 2005;72:873–5.
- Jamieson N, Singh-Grewal D. Kawasaki disease: A clinician’s update. Int J Pediatr. 2013;2013:645391.
- Zhang YT, Feng LH, Zhong XD, Wang LZ, Chang J. Kawasaki disease associated with neuroblastoma: Evidence for a new paraneoplastic syndrome? Indian J Pediatr. 2013. doi:10.1007/s12098-013-1261-y.
- Lim YJ, Jung JW, Jung HJ, Park JE. Two cases of Kawasaki disease with hidden neuroblastoma. Indian J Pediatr. 2013;80:881–3. CrossRef
- Gupta A, Singh S, Rohit M, Suri D, Rawat A, Narula N. Giant coronary aneurysms in Kawasaki disease. Indian J Pediatr. 2013. doi:10.1007/s12098-013-1050-7.
- Lee J, Kim GB, Kwon BS, Bae EJ, Noh CI. Two cases of super-giant coronary aneurysms after Kawasaki disease. Korean Circ J. 2014;44:54–8. CrossRef
- Prijic S, Ristic G, Pasic S, Minic A, Vukomanovic V, Adjic O, et al. Bilateral giant coronary aneurysms in Kawasaki disease: How difficult can it be? Circulation. 2013;128:2257–8.
- Madhusudan S, Singh S, Rohit MK, Gupta A, Suri D, Rawat A. Late symptomatic myocarditis in Kawasaki disease: An unusual manifestation. Indian J Pediatr. 2014. doi:10.1007/s12098-014-1339-1.
- Newburger JW, Takahashi M, Gerber MA, Gewitz MH, Tani LY, Burns JC, et al. Diagnosis, treatment, and long-term management of Kawasaki disease: A statement for health professionals from the Committee on Rheumatic Fever, Endocarditis and Kawasaki Disease, Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young, American Heart Association. Circulation. 2004;110:2747–71.
- Khubchandani RP, Dhanrajani A. Facial nerve palsy complicating a case of Kawasaki disease. Indian J Pediatr. 2014. doi:10.1007/s12098-014-1353-3.
- Kocabaş A, Kardelen F, Aldemir-Kocabaş B, Akçurin G, Ertuğ H. Facial nerve palsy and Kawasaki disease. Indian J Pediatr. 2014;81:186–80. CrossRef
- Prokic D, Ristic G, Paunovic Z, Pasic S. Pancreatitis and atypical Kawasaki disease. Pediatr Rheumatol Online J. 2010;8:8. CrossRef
- Ganesh R, Srividhya VS, Vasantha, Shivbalan S. Kawasaki disease mimicking retropharyngeal abscess. Yonsei Med J. 2010;51:784–60. CrossRef
- Garnett GM, Kimball S, Melish ME, Thompson KS, Puapong DP, Johnson SM, et al. Appendicitis as the presenting manifestation of Kawasaki disease. Pediatr Surg Int. 2013. [Epub ahead of print].
- Uziel Y, Hashkes PJ, Kassem E, Gottesman G, Wolach B. “Unresolving pneumonia” as the main manifestation of atypical Kawasaki disease. Arch Dis Child. 2003;88:940–2. CrossRef
- Yap CY, Lin LH, Wang NK. An atypical presentation of Kawasaki disease: A 10-year-old boy with acute exudative tonsillitis and bilateral cervical lymphadenitis. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2012;67:689–92.
- Vierucci F, Tuoni C, Moscuzza F, Saggese G, Consolini R. Erythema multiforme as first sign of incomplete Kawasaki disease. Ital J Pediatr. 2013;39:11. CrossRef
- Watanabe T. Kidney and urinary tract involvement in Kawasaki disease. Int J Pediatr. 2013;2013:831834. CrossRef
- Madhusudan S, Singh S, Suri D, Dash N, Gupta A. Tuberculin positivity in Kawasaki disease: An unusual occurrence. Indian J Pediatr. 2014. doi:10.1007/s12098-014-1356-0.
- Madhusudan S, Singh S, Suri D, Gupta A, Gupta A. Acute anterior uveitis as the presenting feature of Kawasaki disease. Indian J Pediatr. 2014. doi:10.1007/s12098-014-1367-x.
- Alterio T, Gallizzi R, Salpietro V, Cardile S, Centorrino R, Manti S, et al. Subangular mandibular abscess as presentation of Kawasaki disease. Indian J Pediatr. 2014. doi:10.1007/s12098-014-1396-5.
- Vedagiriswaran VV, Amperayani S, Ramamoorthy RK, Ranjith MS. A case of Henoch-Schonlein purpura with Kawasaki disease. Indian J Pediatr. 2014. doi:10.1007/s12098-014-1395-6.
- Kawasaki Disease: Unusual Clinical Manifestations
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 81, Issue 4 , pp 325-327
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors