Enteric Fever in Children Below 2 y — Need for an Effective Conjugate Vaccine?
To the Editor: The occurrence of enteric fever in children less than 2 y is significant [1, 2] but not yet quantified. The vaccines currently available, target age group above 2 y and whether there is a need for effective vaccines in children below 2 y is a question that needs to be addressed.
We conducted a retrospective study of case records of children below 2 y, admitted between January 2009 and June 2012 with blood culture growth of S.typhi/S. paratyphi.
During this period, 48 children under 18 y of age were admitted with culture positive enteric fever of which 14 (29 %) were under 2 y, of which 7 (50 %) were under 1 y. Febrile gastroenteritis was the commonest presentation. Hepatomegaly was seen in 14.3 % but none had icterus, rash or splenomegaly. Two children under 3 mo of age had meningitis.
Though total counts were normal in 78.6 %, absolute eosinopenia was universal. Two of the 14 blood cultures grew S. paratyphiand the rest, S. typhi. Most of the isolates (92.9 %) were resista
- Owais A, Sultana S, Zaman U, Rizvi A, Zaidi AK. Incidence of typhoid bacteremia in infants and young children in southern coastal Pakistan. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2010;29:1035–9.
- Verma M, Parashar Y, Singh A, Kamoji R. Current pattern of enteric fever: A prospective clinical and microbiological study. J Indian Med Assoc. 2007; 105: 582,584,586.
- Typhoid vaccines: WHO position paper. In: Weekly epidemiological record. No.6, 2008, 83, 49-60. http://www.who.int/wer/2008/wer8306.pdf. Accessed 6th Jul 2013.
- Thiem VD, Lin FY, Canhdo G, Son NH, Anh DD, Mao ND, et al. The Vi conjugate typhoid vaccine is safe, elicits protective levels of IgG anti- Vi, and is compatible with routine infant vaccines. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2011;18:730–5. CrossRef
- Mathew JL. Conjugate typhoid vaccine(s) in the Indian context. Indian Pediatr. 2009;46:182–4.
- Enteric Fever in Children Below 2 y — Need for an Effective Conjugate Vaccine?
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 81, Issue 5 , p 511
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pediatrics, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Porur, Chennai, India
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Porur, Chennai, 600116, Tamil Nadu, India