Knowledge and Awareness about Benefits of Kangaroo Mother Care
- Gopi Krishna MudduAffiliated withDepartment of Pediatrics, MGMH/Kakatiya Medical CollegeDepartment of Pediatrics, Sri Sathya Sai General Hospital Email author
- , Sangeetha Lakshmi BojuAffiliated withDepartment of Pediatrics, MGMH/Kakatiya Medical College
- , Ravikumar ChodavarapuAffiliated withDepartment of Pediatrics (emeritus), Kakatiya Medical CollegeDepartment of Pediatrics, Dr PSIMS & RF
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To determine mothers’ prior knowledge of Kangaroo Mother Care (KMC) and awareness about benefits of KMC for preterm babies.
Mothers of a consecutive sample of 46 preterm babies, eligible for KMC admitted to a teaching hospital, from June through August 2009, were studied to determine the attitude and knowledge about KMC. A structured questionnaire was prepared. Mothers were asked questions to determine their baseline knowledge about KMC. Then each mother was explained about KMC and instructed to do KMC. After one hour of KMC, mothers were asked questions again to know their feelings and difficulties regarding KMC and feasibility of breast feeding during KMC.
Most of the mothers could understand what was explained to them (97.8 %; 95 % CI 88.5–99.9 %) in a single session. Positive feelings like closeness to baby (93.5 %) and sense of goodness (97.8 %) were noted amongst mothers. Though statistically not significant, the proportion of mothers who felt it impracticable to give breast feeding while doing KMC was considerable (39.1 %; 95 % CI 25.1–54.6 %) compared to those who felt no difficulty in breast feeding (60.9 %; 95 % CI 45.4–74.9 %). Practicable duration of KMC is 1, 2 and 12 h as felt by 52 %, 19.6 % and 6.5 % of mothers respectively. All the mothers expressed their willingness to continue KMC at home.
Mothers can understand and implement KMC with simple and clear oral instructions in local language. Positive feelings arise in mothers even with 1 h of KMC. KMC of 24 h is not practicable to almost all of the mothers. There is a need for special emphasis on breast feeding the child while doing the KMC.
KeywordsAwareness Kangaroo mother care Knowledge
- Knowledge and Awareness about Benefits of Kangaroo Mother Care
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 80, Issue 10 , pp 799-803
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Kangaroo mother care
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pediatrics, MGMH/Kakatiya Medical College, Warangal, Andhra Pradesh, India
- 4. Department of Pediatrics, Sri Sathya Sai General Hospital, Prashanthi Nilayam, Andhra Pradesh, 515134, India
- 2. Department of Pediatrics (emeritus), Kakatiya Medical College, Warangal, Andhra Pradesh, India
- 3. Department of Pediatrics, Dr PSIMS & RF, Chinnaavutapalli, Gannavaram, Krishna Dt, Andhra Pradesh, India