The Association Between Vitamin D Status and Recurrent Wheezing
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To investigate association between vitamin D status and recurrent wheezing in infants.
Thirty infants with recurrent wheezing and 45 healthy, similar aged infants without any history of acute or chronic illness were included in the study. The clinical features of infants were recorded and serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] levels were measured. Data analysis was performed using SPSS 13 package program.
The mean value of 25 (OH) D vitamin levels were 22.1 ± 8.9 IU/L and 18.8 ± 11 IU/L for the control and recurrent attack group respectively. Seventy-three percent of subjects with recurrent wheezing had vitamin D levels in the deficient range (<20 ng/ml) and 48.9 % had vitamin D levels under < 20 ng/ml in the control group. The percentage of insufficient vitamin D levels (<30 ng/ml) were 90 and 77.8 for the patient and control group respectively. Eight patients had extremely deficient vitamin D (<10 ng/ml) levels. There was no statistical significance between the groups in terms of the distribution of 25 (OH)D level.
The present study did not demonstrate significant association between vitamin D status and recurrent wheezing in the infants.
- Black, PN, Scragg, R (2005) Relationship between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and pulmonary function in the third national health and nutrition examination survey. Chest 128: pp. 3792-3798 CrossRef
- Hollams, EM, Hart, PH, Holt, BJ (2011) Vitamin D and atopy and asthma phenotypes in children: A longitudinal cohort study. Eur Respir J 38: pp. 1320-1327 CrossRef
- Lange, NE, Litonjua, A, Hawrylowicz, CM, Weiss, S (2009) Vitamin D, the immune system and asthma. Expert Rev Clin Immunol 5: pp. 693-702 CrossRef
- Liu, PT, Stenger, S, Tang, DH, Modlin, RL (2007) Cutting edge: Vitamin D-mediated human antimicrobial activity against Mycobacterium tuberculosis is dependent on the induction of cathelicidin. J Immunol 179: pp. 2060-2063
- Karatekin, G, Kaya, A, Salihoglu, O, Balci, H, Nuhoglu, A (2009) Association of subclinical vitamin D deficiency in newborns with acute lower respiratory infection and their mothers. Eur J Clin Nutr 63: pp. 473-477 CrossRef
- Ginde, AA, Mansbach, JM, Camargo, CA (2009) Vitamin D, respiratory infections and asthma. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 9: pp. 81-87 CrossRef
- Camargo, CA, Rifas-Shiman, SL, Litonjua, AA (2007) Maternal intake of vitamin D during pregnancy and risk of recurrent wheeze in children at 3 year of age. Am J Clin Nutr 85: pp. 788-795
- Devereux, G, Litonjua, AA, Turner, SW (2007) Maternal vitamin D intake during pregnancy and early childhood wheezing. Am J Clin Nutr 85: pp. 853-859
- Taylor, CE, Camargo, CA (2011) Impact of micronutrients on respiratory infections. Nutr Rev 69: pp. 259-269 CrossRef
- Sandhu, MS, Casale, TB (2010) The role of vitamin D in asthma. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 105: pp. 191-202 CrossRef
- Majak, P, Olszowiec-Chlebna, M, Smejda, K, Stelmach, I (2011) Vitamin D supplementation in children may prevent asthma exacerbation triggered by acute respiratory infection. J Allergy Clin Immunol 127: pp. 1294-1296 CrossRef
- Misra, M, Pacaud, D, Petryk, A (2008) Vitamin D deficiency in children and its management: Review of current knowledge and recommendations. Pediatrics 122: pp. 398-417 CrossRef
- Plotkin H, Lifshitz F. Rickets and osteoporosis. In: Lifshitz F, ed. Pediatric Endocrinology, 5th ed, Vol. 2. 5th ed. New York: Informa Healthcare; 2007. pp. 531–57.
- Cianferotti, L, Marcocci, C (2012) Subclinical vitamin D deficiency. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metabol 26: pp. 523-537 CrossRef
- Binkley, N, Ramamurthy, R, Krueger, D (2010) Low vitamin D status: definition, consequences and correction. Endocrinol Metab Clin N Am 39: pp. 287-301 CrossRef
- Holick, MF (2007) Vitamin D, deficiency. N Engl J Med 357: pp. 266-281 CrossRef
- Holick, MF, Binkley, NC, Bischoff-Ferrari, HA (2011) Endocrine Society. Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96: pp. 1911-1930 CrossRef
- Dawson-Hughes, B, Heaney, RP, Holick, MF, Lips, P, Meunier, PJ, Vieth, R (2005) Estimates of optimal vitamin D status. Osteoporos Int 16: pp. 713-716 CrossRef
- Vieth, R (2011) Why the minimum desirable serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level should be 75 mol/L (30 ng/ml). Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metabol 25: pp. 681-691 CrossRef
- Nguyen, TM, Guillozo, H, Marin, L, Tordet, C, Koite, S, Garabedian, M (1996) Evidence for a vitamin D paracrine system regulating maturation of developing rat lung epithelium. Am J Physiol 271: pp. L392-L399
- Gaultier, C, Harf, A, Balmain, N, Cuisinier-Gleizes, P, Mathieu, H (1984) Lung mechanics in rachitic rats. Am Rev Respir Dis 130: pp. 1108-1110
- Morales, E, Romieu, I, Guerra, S (2012) Maternal vitamin D status in pregnancy and risk of lower respiratory tract infections, wheezing, and asthma in offspring. Epidemiology 23: pp. 64-71 CrossRef
- Hewison, M (2010) Vitamin D, and the immune system: New perspectives on an old theme. Endocrinol Metab Clin N Am 39: pp. 365-379 CrossRef
- Wang, TT, Dabbas, B, Laperriere, D (2010) Direct and indirect induction by 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D3 of the NOD2/CARD15- defensin beta2 innate immune pathway defective in Crohn disease. J Biol Chem 285: pp. 2227-2231 CrossRef
- Janssen, R, Bont, L, Siezen, CL (2007) Genetic susceptibility to respiratory syncytial virus bronchiolitis is predominantly associated with innate immune genes. J Infect Dis 196: pp. 826-834 CrossRef
- Roth, DE, Jones, AB, Prosser, C, Robinson, JL, Vohra, S (2008) Vitamin D receptor polymorphisms and the risk of acute lower respiratory tract infection in early childhood. J Infect Dis 197: pp. 676-680 CrossRef
- Jartti T, Ruuskanen O, Mansbach JM, Vuorinen T, Camargo CA Jr. Low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels are associated with increased risk of viral coinfections in wheezing children. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010;126:1074–6.
- Bosse, Y, Maghni, K, Hudson, TJ (2007) 1α,25-dihidroxy-vitamin D3 stimulation of bronchial smooth muscle cells induces autocrine, contractility and remodeling processes. Physiol Genomics. 29: pp. 161-168
- Brehm, JM, Celedon, JC, Soto-Quiros, ME (2009) Serum vitamin D levels and markers of severity of childhood asthma in Costa Rica. Am J Res Crit Care Med 179: pp. 765-771 CrossRef
- The Association Between Vitamin D Status and Recurrent Wheezing
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 80, Issue 11 , pp 907-910
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Vitamin D
- Recurrent wheezing
- Industry Sectors