Invasive Meningococcal Disease: The Need for Immunization in Childhood
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To the Editor: We read with interest the paper by Dass Hazarika et al. describing analysis of 110 cases of invasive meningococcal disease (IMD) in North-Eastern India; purpura and rashes were noted in a quarter of cases (23.6 %) . Wells et al. highlighted that only 11 % cases of non-blanching rash were associated with IMD; other conditions e.g., tonsillitis, Henoch Schönlein Purpura (HSP), were more frequent in clinical practice . Meningococcal-C vaccine was introduced in the UK in 1999 and is likely to have further reduced the overall incidence of IMD. A recent Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) report confirmed a 95 % fall in incidence of IMD caused by serogroup C Meningococcus in the UK .
A retrospective clinical audit (August’2010 to June’2012) was done to review all children admitted to pediatric ward with a non-blanching rash; our clinical management showed full compliance with the NICE guidelines . Ninety-nine children were identified and computeri ...
- Dass Hazarika R, Deka NM, Khyriem AB, et al. Invasive meningococcal infection: Analysis of 110 cases from a tertiary care centre in north east India. Indian J Pediatr. 2012. doi:10.1007/s12098-012-0855-0.
- Wells LC, Smith JC, Weston VC, et al. The child with a non-blanching rash: how likely is meningococcal disease? Arch Dis Child. 2001;85:218–22. CrossRef
- JCVI statement on the use of meningococcal C vaccines in the routine childhood immunisation programme, 29 January, 2012. http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@ab/documents/digitalasset/dh_132443.pdf (accessed 14 December 2012).
- NICE. NICE guideline on bacterial meningitis and meningococcal septicaemia. Clinical Guideline 102, 2010. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13027/49339/49339.pdf (accessed 14 December 2012).
- Invasive Meningococcal Disease: The Need for Immunization in Childhood
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 81, Issue 2 , pp 203-204
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors