Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Children and Youth
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) which used to be a disease of adults is now seen commonly at an early age in children and adolescents. T2DM is now an important diagnostic consideration in children who present with signs and symptoms of diabetes. The emerging epidemic of obesity in children throughout the world and the resultant insulin resistance contributes to the increasing prevalence of T2DM in this population. The recommended treatment options include metformin and insulin. Optimal glycemic control is essential considering the lifelong nature of the disease and therefore, the increased risk of long term complications – both microvascular and macrovascular. This review article summarizes the classification, diagnosis, pathogenesis, management, complications and screening of T2DM in children, incorporating and contextualizing guidelines from various professional associations.
- Pinhas-Hamiel O, Zeitler P. The global spread of type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents. J Pediatr. 2005;146:693–700. CrossRef
- Kahn SE, Hull RL, Utzschneider KM. Mechanisms linking obesity to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Nature. 2006;444:840–6. CrossRef
- Trembley MS, Katzmarzyk PT, Wilms JD. Temporal trends in overweight and obesity in Canada, 1981–1996. Int J Obes. 2002;26:538–43. CrossRef
- Khadilkar VV, Khadilkar AV, Cole TJ, Chiplon Kar SA, Pandit D. Overweight and obesity prevalence and body mass index trends in Indian children. Int J Obes. 2011;6:e216–34. CrossRef
- Marwaha RK, Tandon N, Ganie MA, et al. Nationwide reference data for height, weight and body mass index of Indian school children. Natl Med J India. 2011;24:269–77.
- Agarwal DK, Agarwal KN, Upadhyay SK, Mittal R, Prakash R, Rai S. Physical and sexual growth pattern of affluent Indian children from 5–18 years of age. Indian Pediatr. 1992;29:1203–82.
- The Writing Group for the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study Group. Incidence of diabetes in youth in the United States. JAMA. 2007;297:2716–24. CrossRef
- Pozzilli P, Guglielmi C, Caprio S, Buzzetti R. Obesity, autoimmunity, and double diabetes in youth. Diabetes Care. 2011;34:S166–70. CrossRef
- Balasubramanyam A, Yajnik CS, Tandon N. Non-traditional forms of diabetes worldwide: Implications for translational investigation. Trans Endocrinol Metab. 2011;2:43–67.
- Fajans SS, Bell GI. MODY – history, genetics, pathophysiology and clinical decision making. Diabetes Care. 2011;34:1878–84. CrossRef
- Rosenbloom AL, Silverstein JH, Amemiya S, Zeitler P, Klingensmith G. Type 2 diabetes in the child and adolescent. ISPAD. Pediatr Diabetes. 2009;10:17–32. CrossRef
- American Diabetes Association. Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2011;34:S62–9. CrossRef
- Nowicka P, Santoro N, Liu H, et al. Utility of Hemoglobin A1c for diagnosing prediabetes and diabetes in obese children and adolescents. Diabetes Care. 2011;34:1306–11. CrossRef
- Dunaif A. Insulin resistance and the polycystic ovary syndrome: Mechanism and implications for pathogenesis. Endocr Rev. 1997;18:774–880.
- Marchal CL, Arslanian S, Cutfield W, et al. Insulin resistance in children: Consensus, perspective, and future directions. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:5189–98.
- Matthaei S, Stumvoll M, Keller M, Häring HC. Pathophysiology and pharmacological treatment of insulin resistance. Endocr Rev. 2000;21:585–618. CrossRef
- Chauhan G, Spurgeon CJ, Tabassum R, et al. Impact of common variants of PPARG, KCNJ11, TCF7L2, SLC30A8, HHEX, CDKN2A, IGF2BP2, and CDKAL1on the risk of type 2 diabetes in 5,164 Indians. Diabetes. 2010;59:2068–74.
- Buzzetti R, Petrone A, Caiazzo AM, et al. PPAR-ϒ2 Pro12Ala variant is associated with greater insulin sensitivity in childhood obesity. Pediatr Res. 2005;57:138–40. CrossRef
- Viswanathan M, Mohan V, Snehalatha C, Ramachandran A. High prevalence of type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes among the offspring of conjugal type 2 diabetic parents in India. Diabetologia. 1985;28:907–10. CrossRef
- Morales AE, Rosenbloom AL. Death caused by hyperglycemic hyperosmolar state at the onset of type 2 diabetes. J Pediatr. 2004;144:270–3. CrossRef
- Pinhas-Hamiel O, Zeitler P. Acute and chronic complications of type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents. Lancet. 2007;369:1823–31. CrossRef
- Guz M, Garcĭa-Maado R, Garcĭa-Valerio Y, et al. Low adiponectin levels predict type 2 diabetes in mexican children. Diabetes Care. 2004;27:1451–3.
- Gungor N, Thompson T, Sutton-Tyrell K, Janosky J, Arslanian S. Early signs of cardiovascular disease in youth with obesity and type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2005;28:1219–21.
- Tabassum R, Yuvraj M, Dwivedi OP, et al. Common variants of IL6, LEPR and PBEF1 are associated with obesity in Indian children. Diabetes. 2012;61:626–31. CrossRef
- Mahajan A, Tabassum R, Chavali S, et al. High-sensitivity C-reactive protein levels and type 2 diabetes in urban North Indians. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:2123–7. CrossRef
- Marwaha RK, Khadgawat R, Tandon N, et al. Reference intervals of serum lipid profile in healthy Indian school children and adolescents. Clin Biochem. 2011;44:760–6. CrossRef
- Rosenbloom AL, Silverstein JH, Amemiya S, Zeitler P, Maahs DM, Klingensmith GJ. Type 2 diabetes. IDF-ISPAD Diabetes in Childhood and Adolescence Guidelines 2011. http://www.ispad.org/NewsFiles/IDF-ISPAD_Diabetes_in_Childhood_and%20Adolescence_Guidelines_2011.pdf. Accessed on 10 Dec 2011.
- Jones KL, Arslanian S, Peterokova VA, et al. Effect of metformin in pediatric patients with type 2 diabetes: A randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Care. 2002;25:89–94.
- Lipska KJ, Bailey CJ, Inzucchi SE. Use of metformin in the setting of mild-to-moderate renal insufficiency. Diabetes Care. 2011;34:1431–7. CrossRef
- TODAY Study Group, Zeitler P, Epstein L, Grey M, et al. Treatment options for type 2 diabetes in adolescents and youth: a study of the comparative efficacy of metformin alone or in combination with rosiglitazone or lifestyle intervention in adolescents with type 2 diabetes. Pediatr Diabetes. 2007;8:74–87.
- TODAY Study Group, Zeitler P, Epstein L, Grey M, et al. A clinical trial to maintain glycemic control in youth with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2012;366:2247–56.
- Gottschalk M, Danne T, Vlajnic A, Cara JF. Glimepiride versus metformin as monotherapy in pediatric patients with type 2 diabetes: A randomized, single-blind comparative study. Diabetes Care. 2007;30:790–4.
- American Diabetes Association. Executive summary: Standards of medical care in diabetes—2011. Diabetes Care. 2011;34:S4–10.
- Inge TH, Miyano G, Bean J, et al. Reversal of type 2 diabetes mellitus and improvements in cardiovascular risk factors after surgical weight loss in adolescents. Pediatrics. 2009;123:214–22. CrossRef
- Nadler EP, Reddy S, Isenalumhe A, et al. Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for morbidly obese adolescence affects android fat loss, resolution comorbidities, and improved metabolic status. J Am Coll Surg. 2009;209:638–44. CrossRef
- Brien PO, Sawyer SM, Laurie C, et al. Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in severely obese adolescent. JAMA. 2010;303:519–26. CrossRef
- American Diabetes Association. Type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents (Consensus Statement). Diabetes Care. 2000;23:381–9. CrossRef
- American Diabetes Association. Type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2000;105:671–80. CrossRef
- Shah S, Kublaoui BM, Oden JD, White PC. Screening for type 2 diabetes in obese youth. Pediatrics. 2009;124:573–9.
- Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Children and Youth
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 80, Issue 1 Supplement, pp 87-94
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Industry Sectors