Hypertension During Therapy with Triptorelin in a Girl with Precocious Puberty
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To the Editor: GnRH-receptor agonists are used for treatment of central precocious puberty (CPP) and relative safety and tolerability in children are reported .
In experimental studies, hypertensive crisis during treatment with triptorelin is described and attributed to hypoestrogenism . Postmenopause is associated with increased incidence of hypertension; estrogen low levels have important effects on venous system that reverse in animal model by hormone replacement therapy .
We report a “suggested” association between hypertension and triptorelin therapy in a girl with CPP. A 5-y-old girl presented with breast enlargement (Tanner B2), without any other sign of sexual maturation and with prepubertal hormonal status.
At the age of 7y, she showed progressive breast development (Tanner B3), bone age advancement (SDS-BA 2.5), elevated height velocity (SDS-v 3.17). Blood pressure (BP) was 105/70 mmHg (50th centile for systolic and 90th centile for diastolic ).
Endocrine examination ...
- Magiakou MA, Manousaki D, Papadaki M, et al. The efficacy and safety of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analog treatment in childhood and adolescence: a single center, long-term follow-up study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:109–17. CrossRef
- Albaladejo Blanco C, García Vicente JA, García-Faria Rialp F. Hypertension crisis as a side effect of triptorelin? Aten Primaria. 2004;34:566–7.
- Várbíró S, Vajó Z, Nádasy GL, et al. Sex hormone replacement therapy reverses altered venous contractility in rats after pharmacological ovariectomy. Menopause. 2002;9:122–6. CrossRef
- National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group on High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents. The fourth report on the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2004;114:555–76. CrossRef
- Pettersen MD, Du W, Skeens ME, Humes RA. Regression equations for calculation of z scores of cardiac structures in a large cohort of healthy infants, children, and adolescents: an echocardiographic study. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2008;21:922–34. CrossRef
- Hypertension During Therapy with Triptorelin in a Girl with Precocious Puberty
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 80, Issue 10 , pp 884-885
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pavia and Department of Pediatrics, IRCCS Policlinico S. Matteo Foundation, Pavia, Italy
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, IRCCS Policlinico S. Matteo Foundation, P.le Golgi n.2, 27100, Pavia, Italy
- 3. Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, IRCCS Policlinico S. Matteo Foundation, Pavia, Italy