Idiopathic Hypereosinophilic Syndrome in Children: 3 Cases with Review of Literature
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To highlight the varied clinical manifestations and management of idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome, a rare disorder in children.
Retrospective review of case records of 3 patients who were diagnosed to have idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome (IHES) in a tertiary referral centre between 1997 and 2010 was performed. These 3 children presented with different symptoms and the first case had cardiac involvement. All had very high absolute eosinophil count (cells/mm3) 43,206, 9,082, 2,925, respectively. Diagnosis was confirmed by bone marrow biopsy in all three cases and supported by liver biopsy in the first two cases and inguinal lymphnode biopsy in the last case. All 3 children responded to treatment with steroids, with only second patient requiring hydroxyurea to control disease.
Case 1 and 2 are on follow up for 13 y and 10 y respectively and both are asymptomatic. Case 3 expired due to sepsis 1 mo after diagnosis.
Treatment with steroids with or without hydroxyurea gave good response in all 3 cases. Hence, they still remain the gold standard for the treatment of IHES in children.
- Hardy WR, Anderson RE. The hypereosinophilic syndromes. Ann Intern Med. 1968;68:1220–9.
- Chusid MJ, Dale DC, West BC, Wolf SM. The hypereosinophilic syndrome: analysis of fourteen cases with review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore). 1975;54:1–27. CrossRef
- Weller PF, Bubley GJ. The idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. Blood. 1994;83:2759–79.
- Boyce JA, Owen WF. Idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. In: Kaplan AP, ed. Allergy. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1997. pp. 861–75.
- Alfaham MA, Ferguson SD, Shira B. The idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. Arch Dis Child. 1987;62:601–13. CrossRef
- Salm CM, Clair NE, Lustig JV, Samyn MM. Cardiac manifestations from non-FIP1L1-PDGFRα-associated hypereosinophilic syndrome in a 13-year-old African American boy. J Allergy (Cairo). 2009;2009:804910.
- Weaver DF, Heffernan LP, Purdy RA. Eosinophil-induced neurotoxicity: axonal neuropathy, cerebral infarction and dementia. Neurology. 1988;38:144–6. CrossRef
- Pérez PJ, Gomez Papí A, Tarrés Roure A, Llorente Cabrera A. Idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome in a 6-year-old child. An Esp Pediatr. 1990;33:69–70.
- Win SR, Sachs M, Keating MUS. Idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome in a 51/2-month-old infant. J Pediatr. 1987;111:94–7. CrossRef
- FauciAS HJB, Roberts WC, Ferrans VJ, Gralnick HR, Bjornson BH. NIH Conference. The idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome: Clinical, pathophysiologic and therapeutic considerations. Ann Int Med. 1982;97:78–92.
- Smit AJ, van Essen LH, de Vries EG. Successful long-term control of idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome with etoposide. Cancer. 1991;67:2826–7. CrossRef
- Sakamoto K, Erdreich E, de Clerck Y, Coates T. Prolonged clinical response to vincristine treatment in two patients with idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. Am J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 1992;14:348–51. CrossRef
- Bockenstedt PL, Santinga JT, Bolling SF. Alpha-interferon treatment for idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. Am J Hematol. 1994;45:248–51. CrossRef
- Butterfield JH, Gleich GJ. Interferon-alpha treatment of six patients with the idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. Ann Intern Med. 1994;121:648–53.
- Rothenberg ME, Kion AD, Roufosse FE, et al. Treatment of patients with Hypereosinophilic syndrome with mepolizumab. N Engl J Med. 2006;358:1215–28. CrossRef
- Cools J, DeAngelo DJ, Gotlib J. A tyrosine kinase created by fusion of the PDGFRA and FIP1L1 genes as a therapeutic target of imatinib in idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:1201–14. CrossRef
- Gleich GH, Leiferman KM, Pardanani A. Treatment of hypereosinophilic syndrome with imatinibmesilate. Lancet. 2002;359:1577–8. CrossRef
- Archimbaud E, Guyotat D, Guillaume C, Godard J, Fiere D. Hypereosinophilic syndrome with multiple organ dysfunction treated by allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. Am J Hematol. 1988;27:302–3. CrossRef
- Fukushima T, Kuriyama K, Ito H, et al. Successful bone marrow transplantation for idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. Br J Haematol. 1995;90:213–5. CrossRef
- Lefebvre C, Bletry O, Degoulet P, et al. Prognostic factors of hypereosinophilic syndrome. Study of 40 cases. Ann Med Interne (Paris). 1989;140:253–7.
- Idiopathic Hypereosinophilic Syndrome in Children: 3 Cases with Review of Literature
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 80, Issue 2 , pp 124-127
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome
- Industry Sectors