Childhood Tuberculosis: Epidemiology and Natural History of Disease
- Ben J. Marais
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Despite previous misperceptions that childhood tuberculosis (TB) is less relevant, since children tend to develop mild disease, contribute little to transmission and do not impact epidemic control, awareness is growing that TB is an important preventable cause of disease and death among children in TB endemic areas. At an operational level there remains an urgent need for feasible and implementable policies to guide management in resource limited settings. This manuscript reviews the epidemiology and natural history of TB in children in order to improve understanding of the various disease entities encountered and to provide the rationale for different management approaches.
- WHO Report. Global tuberculosis control. Epidemiology, strategy, financing. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2009.
- Newton SM, Brent AJ, Anderson S, Whittaker E, Kampmann B. Paediatric tuberculosis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2008;8:499–510. CrossRef
- Marais BJ, Obihara CC, Warren RW, Schaaf HS, Gie RP, Donald PR. The burden of childhood tuberculosis: a public health perspective. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2005;9:1305–13.
- Marais BJ, Gie RP, Schaaf HS, Donald PR, Beyers N, Starke J. Childhood pulmonary tuberculosis—Old wisdom and new challenges. Am J Resp Crit Care Med. 2006;173:1078–90. CrossRef
- Marais BJ, Gie RP, Schaaf HS, et al. The natural history of childhood intra-thoracic tuberculosis—A critical review of the pre-chemotherapy literature. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2004;8:392–402.
- Marais BJ, Gie RP, Hesseling AC, Beyers N. Adult-type pulmonary tuberculosis in children aged 10–14 years. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2005;24:743–4. CrossRef
- Nelson LJ, Wells CD. Global epidemiology of childhood tuberculosis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2004;8:636–47.
- Marais BJ, Hesseling AC, Gie RP, Schaaf HS, Beyers N. The burden of childhood tuberculosis and the accuracy of routine surveillance data in a high-burden setting. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2006;10:259–63.
- Marais BJ, Schaaf HS. Childhood tuberculosis: an emerging and previously neglected problem. Infect Dis Clin N Am. 2010;24:727–49. CrossRef
- Marais BJ, Gie RP, Schaaf HS, Hesseling AC, Enarson DA, Beyers N. The spectrum of childhood tuberculosis in a highly endemic area. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2006;10:732–8.
- Chintu C, Mudenda V, Lucas S, et al. Lung diseases at necropsy in African children dying from respiratory illnesses: a descriptive necropsy study. Lancet. 2002;360:985–90. CrossRef
- Harries AD, Zachariah R, Corbett EL, et al. The HIV-associated tuberculosis epidemic—when will we act? Lancet. 2010;375:1906–19. CrossRef
- Marais BJ, Cotton M, Graham SM, Beyers N. Diagnosis and management challenges of childhood TB in the era of HIV. J Infect Dis. 2007;196:S76–85. CrossRef
- Cotton MF, Schaaf HS, Lottering G, Wever HL, Coetzee J, Nachman S. Tuberculosis exposure in HIV-exposed infants in a high-prevalence setting. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2008;12:225–7.
- Schaaf HS, Marais BJ, Hesseling AC, Gie RP, Beyers N, Donald PR. Childhood drug-resistant tuberculosis in the Western Cape Province of South Africa. Acta Paediatr. 2006;95:523–8. CrossRef
- Gandhi NR, Nunn P, Dheda K, et al. Multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis: a threat to global control of tuberculosis. Lancet. 2010;375:1830–43. CrossRef
- Marais BJ. Performing TB research in children—issues to consider. Indian Pediatr. 2008;45:737–9.
- Marais BJ. Does finding Mycobacterium tuberculosis in sputum always equal tuberculosis disease? Am J Respir Crit Care. 2010;181:195–6.
- Marais BJ, Gie RP, Schaaf HS, et al. Proposed radiologic classification of childhood intra-thoracic tuberculosis. Pediatr Radiol. 2004;33:886–94. CrossRef
- Marais BJ, Schaaf HS, Gie RP, Donald PR. TB contact screening—which way to go? Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2009;13:1576–9.
- Marais BJ, Ayles H, Graham SM, Godfrey-Faussett P. Screening and preventive therapy for tuberculosis. Chest Clin N Am. 2009;30:827–46. CrossRef
- Marais BJ, Gie RP, Schaaf HS, et al. Refined symptom-based approach to diagnose pulmonary tuberculosis in children. Pediatrics. 2006; e1350–59.
- Marais BJ, Donald PR, Gie RP, Schaaf HS, Beyers N. Diversity of disease manifestations in childhood pulmonary tuberculosis. Ann Trop Paediatr. 2005;25:79–86. CrossRef
- Donald PR, Marais BJ, Barry 3rd CE. The influence of age on the epidemiology and pathology of tuberculosis. Lancet. 2010;375:1852–4. CrossRef
- World Health Organization. Guidance for National Tuberculosis Programmes on the Management of Tuberculosis in Children. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland. WHO/HTM/TB/2006.371.
- Gie RP, Matiru RH. Supplying quality-assured child-friendly anti-tuberculosis drugs to children. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2009;13:277–8.
- Marais BJ, Schaaf HS, Donald PR. Pediatric tuberculosis: issues related to current and future treatment options. Future Microbiol. 2009;4:661–75. CrossRef
- Marais BJ, Gupta A, Starke JR, El-Sony A. Tuberculosis in women and children. Lancet. 2010;375:2057–9. CrossRef
- Childhood Tuberculosis: Epidemiology and Natural History of Disease
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 78, Issue 3 , pp 321-327
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Ben J. Marais (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pediatrics and Child Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Tygerberg Children’s Hospital, PO Box 19063, Tygerberg, 7505, South Africa