Multi-drug Resistant Childhood Tuberculosis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Emergence of drug resistant tuberculosis is one of the major challenges faced by health community globally. Tuberculosis is an important cause of morbidity and mortality among children in endemic areas, yet little is known regarding epidemiology of pediatric tuberculosis and even far lesser information is available about epidemiology, diagnosis, management and treatment outcome of drug resistant tuberculosis in children. Despite limited data and difficulties in its management, drug resistant tuberculosis can be successfully treated even in resource poor settings with proper use of existing technologies. A high index of suspicion and early drug susceptibility testing is the key to early diagnosis and good treatment outcome. Difficulties in establishing the diagnosis, drug toxicities and absence of pediatric formulations add challenges to the management of Pediatric MDR TB Cases. Active research is required to answer the unresolved issues of finding optimal diagnostic tools, treatment regimens and duration and chemoprophylaxis in pediatric drug resistant tuberculosis.
- Global tuberculosis control: a short update to the 2009 report. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2009 (WHO/HTM/TB/2009.426).
- Mitchison DA. Drug resistance in mycobacteria. Br Med Bull. 1984;40:84–90.
- Migliori GB, Iaco GD, Besozzi G, Centis R, Cirillo DM. First tuberculosis cases in Italy resistant to all tested drugs. Euro Surveill. 2007;12:pii=319.
- Velayati AA, Masjedi MR, Farnia P, et al. Emergence of new forms of totally drug-resistant tuberculosis bacilli: super extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis or totally drug-resistant strains in Iran. Chest. 2009;136:420–5. CrossRef
- Shah N, Richardson J, Moodley P, et al. Increasing second-line drug resistance among extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis patients in rural South Africa. 40th Union World Conference on Lung Health; Cancun, Mexico; Dec 3–7, 2009.
- Anti-tuberculosis drug resistance in the world. Fourth global report. Geneva, World Health Organization 2008 (WHO/HTM/TB/2008.394).
- Guidance for National Tuberculosis Programmes on the Management of Tuberculosis in Children. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2006 (WHO/HTM/TB/2006.371).
- Nelson LJ, Wells CD. Global epidemiology of childhood tuberculosis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2004;8:636–47.
- Consensus Statement. Formulation of guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of pediatric TB cases under RNTCP. Indian J Tuberc. 2004;51:102–5.
- Multidrug and extensively drug-resistant TB (M/XDR-TB): 2010 global report on surveillance and response. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2010 (WHO/HTM/TB/2010.30).
- Guidelines for surveillance of drug resistance in tuberculosis. Fourth WHO/ Union Global Project on Anti-Tuberculosis Drug Resistance Surveillance report. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2009 (WHO/HTM/TB/2009.422).
- WHO. A brief history of tuberculosis control in India. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2010 (WHO/HTM/TB/2010.4).
- Swaminathan S, Datta M, Radhamani MP, et al. A profile of bacteriologically confirmed pulmonary tuberculosis in children. Indian Pediatr. 2008;45:743–7.
- Schaaf HS, Marais BJ, Hesseling AC, Gie RP, Beyers N, Donald P. Childhood drug-resistant tuberculosis in the Western Cape Province of South Africa. Acta Paediatr. 2006;95:523–8. CrossRef
- Salazar GE, Schmitz TL, Cama R, et al. Pulmonary tuberculosis in children in a developing country. Pediatrics. 2001;108:448–53. CrossRef
- Mukherjee JS, Joseph JK, Rich ML, et al. Clinical and programmatic considerations in the treatment of MDR-TB in children: a series of 16 patients from Lima, Peru. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2003;7:637–44.
- David HL. Probability distribution of drug-resistant mutants in unselected populations of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Appl Microbiol. 1970;20:810–4.
- Supply P, Warren RM, Banuls AL, et al. Linkage disequilibrium between minisatellite loci supports clonal evolution of mycobacterium tuberculosis in a high tuberculosis incidence area. Mol Microbiol. 2003;47:529–38. CrossRef
- Cox HS, Niemann S, Ismailov G, et al. Risk of acquired drug resistance during short-course directly observed treatment of tuberculosis in an area with high levels of drug resistance. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44:1421–7. CrossRef
- Espinal MA, Kim SJ, Suarez PG, et al. Standard short-course chemotherapy for drug-resistant tuberculosis: treatment outcomes in 6 countries. JAMA. 2000;283:2537–45. CrossRef
- Guidelines for the programmatic management of drug-resistant tuberculosis. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2006 (WHO/HTM/TB/2006.361).
- Schaaf HS, Shean K, Donald PR. Culture confirmed multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: diagnostic delay, clinical features and outcome. Arch Dis Child. 2003;88:1106–11. CrossRef
- Schaaf HS, Gie RP, Beyers N, Sirgel FA, de Klerk PJ, Donald PR. Primary drug resistant tuberculosis in children. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2004;4:1149–55.
- Drobac PC, Mukherjee JS, Joseph JK, et al. Community based therapy for children with multidrug resistant tuberculosis. Pediatr. 2006;117:2022–9. CrossRef
- Fishman JE, Sais GJ, Schwartz DS, Otten J. Radiographic findings and patterns in multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. J Thorac Imaging. 1998;13:65–71. CrossRef
- Feng-zeng Z, Levy MH, Sumin W. Sputum microscopy results at two and three months predict outcome of tuberculosis treatment. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 1997;1:570–2.
- Akira M, Sakatani M, Ishikawa H. Transient radiographic progression during initial treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis: CT findings. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2000;24:426–31. CrossRef
- Mitnick C, Bayona J, Palacios E, et al. Community-based therapy for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Lima, Peru. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:119–28. CrossRef
- Mitnick C, Shin S, Seung K, et al. Comprehensive treatment of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis. N Engl J Med. 2008;359:563–74. CrossRef
- Feja K, McNelley E, Tran C, Burzynski J, Saiman L. Management of pediatric multidrug-resistant tuberculosis and latent tuberculosis infections in New York City from 1995 to 2003. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2008;27:907–12. CrossRef
- Schluger N, Lawrence R, McGuiness G, Park M, Rom W. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in children: two cases and a review of the literature. Pediatr Pulmonol. 1996;21:138–42. CrossRef
- Rastogi N, Labrousse V, Goh KS. In vitro activities of fourteen antimicrobial agents against drug susceptible and resistant clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and comparative intracellular activities against the virulent H37Rv strain in human macrophages. Curr Microbiol. 1996;33:167–75. CrossRef
- Centre For Disease Control and Prevention. Guidelines for the investigation of contacts of persons with infectious tuberculosis. Recommendations from the National Tuberculosis Controller Association and CDC. MMWR. 2005;54:1–47.
- Fraser A, Paul M, Attamno A, Leibovici L. Drugs for preventing tuberculosis in people at risk of multiple drug resistant tuberculosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;2:CD005435.
- Schaaf HS, Gie RP, Kennedy M, Beyers N, Hesseling PB, Donald PR. Evaluation of young children in contact with adult multidrug resistant pulmonary tuberculosis: a 30 month follow up. Pediatr. 2002;109:765–71. CrossRef
- Kritski AL, Marques MJ, Rabahi MF, et al. Transmission of tuberculosis to close contacts of patients with multidrug resistant tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1996;153:331–3.
- Multi-drug Resistant Childhood Tuberculosis
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 78, Issue 4 , pp 456-463
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Multidrug resistant
- Childhood tuberculosis
- Second line drugs
- Industry Sectors