Management of Acute Lung Injury/ARDS
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Acute lung injury (ALI) and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) are disorders of pulmonary inflammation characterized by hypoxemia and respiratory failure. Children have varying incidence of ALI/ARDS from 2.2 to 16 per 100,000 pediatric population associated with high morbidity, mortality, and financial burden. The diagnostic criteria include: acute onset, severe arterial hypoxemia resistant to oxygen therapy alone (PaO2/FIO2 ratio ≤200 for ARDS and ≤300 for ALI), diffuse pulmonary inflammation (bilateral infiltrates on chest radiograph) and No evidence of left atrial hypertension. Management includes ventilatory therapy including lower tidal volume, relatively high PEEP and supportive care. Guidelines for diagnosis, ventilator management, rescue therapies and supportive care are being discussed in the protocol.
- Ware LB, Matthay MA. The acute respiratory distress syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:1334–49. CrossRef
- Bernard GR. Acute respiratory distress syndrome: a historical perspective. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005;172:798–806. CrossRef
- Dahlem P, van Aalderen WM, Bos AP. Pediatric acute lung injury. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2007;8:348–62. CrossRef
- Erickson S, Schibler A, Numa A, et al. Acute lung injury in pediatric intensive care in Australia and New Zealand: a prospective, multicenter, observational study. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2007;8:317–23. CrossRef
- Randolph AG. Management of acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome in children. Crit Care Med. 2009;37:2448–54. CrossRef
- Dahlem P, van Aalderen WM, Hamaker ME, Dijkgraaf MG, Bos AP. Incidence and short-term outcome of acute lung injury in mechanically ventilated children. Eur Respir J. 2003;22:980–5. CrossRef
- Rubenfeld GD, Caldwell E, Peabody E, et al. Incidence and outcomes of acute lung injury. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:1685–93. CrossRef
- Kneyber MC, Brouwers AG, Caris JA, Chedamni S, Plotz FB. Acute respiratory distress syndrome: is it underrecognized in the pediatric intensive care unit? Intensive Care Med. 2008;34:751–4. CrossRef
- Lodha R, Kabra SK, Pandey RM. Acute respiratory distress syndrome: experience at a tertiary care hospital. Indian Pediatr. 2001;38:1154–9.
- Bernard GR, Artigas A, Brigham KL, et al. The American-European Consensus Conference on ARDS. Definitions, mechanisms, relevant outcomes, and clinical trial coordination. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1994;149:818–24.
- Flori HR, Glidden DV, Rutherford GW, Matthay MA. Pediatric acute lung injury: prospective evaluation of risk factors associated with mortality. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005;171:995–1001. CrossRef
- Hudson LD, Milberg JA, Anardi D, Maunder RJ. Clinical risks for development of the acute respiratory distress syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1995;151:293–301.
- Clements RS, Steel AG, Bates AT, Mackenzie R. Cuffed endotracheal tube use in paediatric prehospital intubation: challenging the doctrine? Emerg Med J. 2007;24:57–8. CrossRef
- The Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Network. Ventilation with lower tidal volumes as compared with traditional tidal volumes for acute lung injury and the acute respiratory distress syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:1301–8. CrossRef
- Hanson JH, Flori H. Application of the acute respiratory distress syndrome network low-tidal volume strategy to pediatric acute lung injury. Respir Care Clin N Am. 2006;12:349–57.
- Miller MP, Sagy M. Pressure characteristics of mechanical ventilation and incidence of pneumothorax before and after the implementation of protective lung strategies in the management of pediatric patients with severe ARDS. Chest. 2008;134:969–73. CrossRef
- Albuali WH, Singh RN, Fraser DD, et al. Have changes in ventilation practice improved outcome in children with acute lung injury? Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2007;8:324–30. CrossRef
- Newth CJ, Venkataraman S, Willson DF, et al. Weaning and extubation readiness in pediatric patients. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2009;10:1–11. CrossRef
- Shah PS, Ohlsson A, Shah JP. Continuous negative extrathoracic pressure or continuous positive airway pressure for acute hypoxemic respiratory failure in children. Cochrane Database Syst.Rev. 2008;23;(1)(1):CD003699.
- Arnold JH, Hanson JH, Toro-Figuero LO, Gutierrez J, Berens RJ, Anglin DL. Prospective, randomized comparison of high-frequency oscillatory ventilation and conventional mechanical ventilation in pediatric respiratory failure. Crit Care Med. 1994;22:1530–9.
- Green TP, Moler FW, Goodman DM. Probability of survival after prolonged extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in pediatric patients with acute respiratory failure. Extracorporeal Life Support Organization. Crit Care Med. 1995;23:1132–9. CrossRef
- Randolph AG, Forbes PW, Gedeit RG, et al. Cumulative fluid intake minus output is not associated with ventilator weaning duration or extubation outcomes in children. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2005;6:642–7. CrossRef
- Dellinger RP, Levy MM, Carlet JM, et al. Surviving Sepsis Campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2008. Crit Care Med. 2008;36:296–327. CrossRef
- Heyland DK, Dhaliwal R, Drover JW, Gramlich L, Dodek P. Canadian Critical Care Clinical Practice Guidelines Committee. Canadian clinical practice guidelines for nutrition support in mechanically ventilated, critically ill adult patients. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2003;27:355–73. CrossRef
- Curley MA, Hibberd PL, Fineman LD, Wypij D, Shih MC, Thompson JE, et al. Effect of prone positioning on clinical outcomes in children with acute lung injury: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2005;294:229–37. CrossRef
- Adhikari NK, Burns KE, Friedrich JO, Granton JT, Cook DJ, Meade MO. Effect of nitric oxide on oxygenation and mortality in acute lung injury: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2007;334:779. CrossRef
- Dahlem P, van Aalderen WM, de Neef M, Dijkgraaf MG, Bos AP. Randomized controlled trial of aerosolized prostacyclin therapy in children with acute lung injury. Crit Care Med. 2004;32:1055–60. CrossRef
- Duffett M, Choong K, Ng V, Randolph A, Cook DJ. Surfactant therapy for acute respiratory failure in children: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Care. 2007;11:R66. CrossRef
- Peter JV, John P, Graham PL, Moran JL, George IA, Bersten A. Corticosteroids in the prevention and treatment of acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) in adults: meta-analysis. BMJ. 2008;336:1006–9. CrossRef
- Steinberg KP, Hudson LD, Goodman RB, et al. Efficacy and safety of corticosteroids for persistent acute respiratory distress syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2006;354:1671–84. CrossRef
- Meduri GU, Golden E, Freire AX, et al. Methylprednisolone infusion in early severe ARDS: results of a randomized controlled trial. Chest. 2007;131:954–63. CrossRef
- Willson DF, Thomas NJ, Markovitz BP, et al. Effect of exogenous surfactant (calfactant) in pediatric acute lung injury: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2005;293:470–6. CrossRef
- Ben-Abraham R, Weinbroum AA, Roizin H, et al. Long-term assessment of pulmonary function tests in pediatric survivors of acute respiratory distress syndrome. Med Sci Monit. 2002;8:CR153–7.
- Management of Acute Lung Injury/ARDS
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 77, Issue 11 , pp 1296-1302
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Acute lung injury
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome
- Industry Sectors