H1N1 Influenza in a Preterm Neonate
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
There is a swine flu pandemic worldwide. As of 28 February 2010, worldwide more than 213 countries and overseas territories or communities have reported laboratory confirmed cases of pandemic influenza H1N1 2009, including at least 16,455 deaths . In India, 1,337 deaths and 29,522 cases have already been reported till 22nd February, 2010 due to H1N1 . Influenza is an uncommon illness among premature infants. Here, we report a preterm with respiratory distress syndrome that developed H1N1 influenza after exposure to a resident doctor.
A 32 weeks preterm male having birth weight of 1.35 kg was referred to level III NICU of a Government hospital at 16 hour of life for prematurity. Infant was ventilated, given surfactant, started on antibiotics, trophic feeds and parentral nutrition. Initial septic profile and blood culture was negative, chest radiograph showed mild RDS. Infant was extubated on day 4 of life. On the same day infant was exposed to one of the residents who later tur
- WHO. Global Alert and Response (GAR) Pandemic H1N1 2009 Update 90, 5 March 2010. World Health Organization. Available at http://www.who.int/entitiy/csr/don/2010_03_05/en/index.html. Accessed March 6, 2010.
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Government of India. Consolidated status of influenza. A H1N1 as on 22nd February, 2010. Available at www.mohfw-h1n1.nic.in. Accessed March 6, 2010.
- CDC. Perinatal Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 Infection, Thailand. Emerging Infectious Diseases Available at www.cdc.gov/eid Vol. 16, No. 2, February 2010. Accessed March 7, 2010.
- Barak S, Kushnir A, Chulski E, Miron D. Influenza A/H1N1 virus in very low-birth-weight premature infant: case report. Am J Perinatol. 2010 Jan 20. [Epub ahead of print].
- TAMIFLU EUA Fact Sheet for Health Care Providers Authorized by FDA on October 30, 2009. Available at www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/drugsafety/.../UCMCM153547. Accessed on March 7 2010.
- H1N1 Influenza in a Preterm Neonate
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 77, Issue 9 , pp 1045-1046
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors