Evaluation of a mass measles vaccination campaign among school children aged 7–14 years old in Denizli, Turkey
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To determine the pre-campaign level of measles seropositivity and to evaluate the effect of a mass measles vaccination campaign on measles seroposivity among primary school children in Denizli, Turkey.
The study was completed in two socioeconomically different areas of Denizli, Turkey, with a sample size of 520 students. One primary school from each area and one classroom from each grade were randomly included in the sample. Before and 2-months after the measles mass vaccinations, blood samples were collected from the students and measles specific IgGs were studied.
The pre-campaign overall seropositivity was 74.7%. Post-campaign overall seropositivity increased to 96.5%. Pre-campaign seropositivity among 8-graders was significantly lower than that in other grades (57.5%, p<0.001) and the difference was explained by the number of vaccinations 8-graders received. Except for the number of vaccination doses, other factors did not have any effect on seropositivity.
The mass measles vaccination programs have a potential to control measles for developing countries. In addition, more than one dose of measles vaccination is required for developing countries.
- Korukolu, G. (2003) Elimination of measles in Turkey (Turkish). Monthly Epidemiol Bull 2: pp. 65-67
- Köhler, K.A., Suleiman, A.J., Robertson, S.E. (2003) Immuno-genicity of measles and rubella vaccines in Oman: a prospective clinical trial. J Infect Dia 187: pp. S177-S185 CrossRef
- Kertesz, D.A., Toure, K., Berthe, A., Konate, Y., Bougoudogo, F. (2003) Evaluation of urban measles mass campaigns for children aged 9–59 months in Mali. J Infect Dis 187: pp. S69-S73 CrossRef
- Nanyunja, M., Lewis, R.F., Makumbi, I. (2003) Impact of mass measles campaigns among children less than 5 years old in Uganda. J Infect Dis 187: pp. S63-S68 CrossRef
- Lee, M.S., Nokes, D.J., Wu, Y.C., Huang, Y.H., Lu, C.R. (2002) Measles IgG seroprevalence prior to mass vaccination in Taiwan. Int J Infect Dis 6: pp. 42-47 CrossRef
- Kuroiwa, C., Xayyavong, P., Vongpra Jianh, P., Khampa-pongpane, B., Yamanaka, M., Nakumuro, S. (2003) Diffucults in measles eliminations: Prevalance of measles antibodies before and after mass vaccinations campaign in Laos. Vaccine 21: pp. 479-484 CrossRef
- Pistol, A., Hennessey, K., Pitigoi, D. (2003) Progress toward measles elimination in Romania after a mass vaccination campaign and implementation of enhanced measles surveillance. J Infect Dis 187: pp. S217-S222 CrossRef
- Health Directory of Denizli province, Annual Health Statistics Yearbook. 2002.
- Health Directory of Denizli province, Annual Health Statistics Yearbook. 2003.
- Oktem, F., Ozel, A., Ozerol, I.H., Kaptanoglu, B., Erkul, I. (1994) City to investigation of measles antibodies in children vaccinated in the city of Konya (Turkish). SU Med Faculty J 10: pp. 187-194
- Hamzaoglu, O., Dikici, H., Koseoglu, V., Esin, N., Basustaoglu, A. (1995) Seroprevalence of measles in vaccined children ages 2–14 admitted to a medical school hospital outpatient clinic (Turkish). Turk J Hyg and Experiment Biol 52: pp. 19-24
- Meral, C., Karademir, F., Bahar, A., Emekdas, G.I., Kocabeyoglu, M. (2001) The effectiveness of second dose of MMR vaccine at four to six year (Turkish). J Child Health and Dis 44: pp. 207-212
- Egemen, A., Aksit, S., Ozacar, T. (2001) Measles seroprevalence in Izmir with special emphasis on measles vaccination policy for Turkey. Pediatr Int 43: pp. 379-384 CrossRef
- Ozkan, S., Aksakal, N., Baykan, Z., Cirak, M., Aycan, S. (2001) Evaluation of immunity against measles in primary school children in Golbasi Baldudak Primary School (Turkish). T Clin J Pediatr 10: pp. 202-208
- Ceyhan, M., Erdem, G. (1998) Measles-rubella-mumbs vaccines (Turkish). Katki Pediatr J 19: pp. 172-194
- Lee, M.S., Chien, L.J., Yueh, Y.Y., Lu, C.F. (2001) Measles seroepidemiology and decay rate of vaccine-induced measles IgG titers in Taiwan, 1995–1997. Vaccine 19: pp. 4644-4651 CrossRef
- Ozkan S, Aycan S, Aycan Z, Beyazova U. Assesment of immunity against measles after a single dose at ninth month and two doses of measles vaccines for the ninth-fifteenth month among children under 5 years of age (Turkish). VI National Public Health Days, Abstract Book 1999; 47.
- Turkish Health Ministry, General Directorate of Primary Health Care, Circular No. 137, dated 10/02/1998.
- Evaluation of a mass measles vaccination campaign among school children aged 7–14 years old in Denizli, Turkey
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 77, Issue 8 , pp 879-883
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Public health
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Department of Public Health, Pamukkale University, Denizli, Turkey
- 1. Department of Microbiology, Pamukkale University, Denizli, Turkey
- 4. PAU Tip Fakultesi Kinikli Kampusu, Bursa Caddesi no 119 Kat 2, Kinikli Denizli, Turkey
- 2. Denizli Directory of Health, Communicable Disease Section, Denizli, Turkey