Effect of wheat grass tablets on the frequency of blood transfusions in Thalassemia Major
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Forty patients of Thalassemia Major children were treated with wheat grass tablets (WGT). The mean hemoglobin in the pre WGT was 8.54 +/− 0.33 g% whereas in WGT period was 9.13 +/− 0.14 g% (p < 0.001). The mean blood transfused as packed cells in pre WGT period was 326.82 +/− 74.10ml/kg/year whereas during WGT period it was 256.39 +/− 45.47 ml/kg/year. The percentage difference in the amount of packed cells transfused in pre WGT and WGT period was 18.02 +/− 22.96 (p < 0.001). The decrease in the blood transfusion requirements was by 25% or more in 20 (60.6%) cases. The mean interval between the consecutive blood transfusions in Pre WGT period was 18.78 +− 4.48 days whereas in WGT period was 24.16 +− 4.78 days (p < 0.001). Wheat grass has the potential to increase the Hb levels, increase the interval between blood transfusions and decrease the amount of total blood transfused in Thalassemia Major patients.
- Lokeshwar MR, Shaw N, Kanakia S, Manglani M. Thalassemia. In Parthasarathy A, Nair MKC, Menon PSN, Shah RC, Shah MK, Choudhury P, eds. IAP textbook of Pediatrics, 3rded, New Delhi. JayPee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd. 2006; 622–630.
- Marwaha RK, Bansal D, Kaur S, Trehan A. Wheatgrass juice reduces transfusion requirement in patient with thalassemia major — A pilot study. Indian Pediatr 2004; 41: 716–720.
- Carpenter E. Clinical experiences with chlorophyll preparations with particular reference to chronic osteomyelitis and chronic ulcers. Am J Surg 1949;77:167–171. CrossRef
- Seibold R, Cereal Grass-What’s in it for you;available at: http://www.wheatgrass.com/book/chapter3.php. Assessed on: April29,2008
- Hammet, Dupont F, Bassman S. The stimulation of hemoglobin synthesis by prophyrins. Biochemical Medicine 1970; 4: 55–60. CrossRef
- Pole SN. Wheat grass juice in thalassemia. Indian Pediatr 2006; 43: 79–81.
- Ben-Arye E, Goldin E, Wengrower D, Stamper A, Kohn R, Berry E. Wheat grass juice in the treatment of active distal ulcerative colitis: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Scand J Gastroenterol 2002; 37: 444–449. CrossRef
- Chan AC, Chow CK, Chiu D. Interaction of antioxidant and their implication in Genetic Anaemia. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1999; 222: 274–282. CrossRef
- Hafez M, Amar ES, Zedan M, Hammad H, Sorur AH, el-Desouky ES. Improved erythrocytes survival with combined vitamin E and Selenium therapy in children with glucose-6 phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency and mild chronic hemolysis. J Pediatr 1986; 108: 558–561. CrossRef
- Effect of wheat grass tablets on the frequency of blood transfusions in Thalassemia Major
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 77, Issue 1 , pp 90-91
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Wheat grass
- Blood transfusions
- Industry Sectors