Etiology of upper gastrointestinal bleeding in young children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Evaluation of children younger than two years old admitted to a pediatric emergency department with upper gastrointestinal bleeding.
Thirty four (34) children aged < 2 years with upper gastrointestinal bleeding were studied. The demographic features, etiologies, laboratory and endoscopic findings and treatment procedures were evaluated retrospectively.
The study consisted of 34 patients (73.5 % male, 26.5 % female) with a median age 12.3 months (1.5–24 months). 30 patients (88 %) had an underlying disease. 21 patients (56 %) had a history of aspirin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs intake. Endoscopic findings were pathological in 85% of patients.
The incidence of upper gastrointestinal bleeding in children aged < 2 years due to antipyretics must be taken into consideration although most of them may also have an underlying disease.
- Carvalho E, Nita MH, Paiva LM et al. Gastrointestinal bleeding. J Pediatr 2000;76:135–146.
- Arora NK, Ganguly S, Ahuja A et al. Upper gastrointestinal bleeding: etiology and management. Indian J Pediatr 2002; 69: 155–168. CrossRef
- Heitlinger LA, McClung HJ. Gastrointestinal hemorrhage. In Wyllie R, Hayms JS eds. Pediatric Gastrointestinal Disease. Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Management, 2nd ed. Philadelphia, WB Saunders; 1999: 64–72.
- Huang IF, Wu TC, Wang KS et al. Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in children with upper gastrointestinal bleeding. J Chin Med Assoc 2003; 66: 271–275.
- Li Voti G, Acierno C, Tulone V et al. Relationship between upper gastrointestinal bleeding and nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs in children. Pediatric Surg Int 1997; 12: 264–265. CrossRef
- Fox VL.Gastrointestinal bleeding in infancy and childhood. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 2000;29:37–66.
- Felber S, Rosenthal P, Henton D. The BUN/Creatinine ratio in localizing gastrointestinal bleeding in pediatric patients. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1988; 7: 685–687. CrossRef
- Etiology of upper gastrointestinal bleeding in young children
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 76, Issue 9 , pp 899-901
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Upper gastrointestinal bleeding
- Industry Sectors