Etiology of upper gastrointestinal bleeding in young children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Evaluation of children younger than two years old admitted to a pediatric emergency department with upper gastrointestinal bleeding.
Thirty four (34) children aged < 2 years with upper gastrointestinal bleeding were studied. The demographic features, etiologies, laboratory and endoscopic findings and treatment procedures were evaluated retrospectively.
The study consisted of 34 patients (73.5 % male, 26.5 % female) with a median age 12.3 months (1.5–24 months). 30 patients (88 %) had an underlying disease. 21 patients (56 %) had a history of aspirin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs intake. Endoscopic findings were pathological in 85% of patients.
The incidence of upper gastrointestinal bleeding in children aged < 2 years due to antipyretics must be taken into consideration although most of them may also have an underlying disease.
- Carvalho, E., Nita, M.H., Paiva, L.M. (2000) Gastrointestinal bleeding. J Pediatr 76: pp. 135-146
- Arora, N.K., Ganguly, S., Ahuja, A. (2002) Upper gastrointestinal bleeding: etiology and management. Indian J Pediatr 69: pp. 155-168 CrossRef
- Heitlinger, L.A., McClung, H.J. Gastrointestinal hemorrhage. In: Wyllie, R., Hayms, J.S. eds. (1999) Pediatric Gastrointestinal Disease. Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Management. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, pp. 64-72
- Huang, I.F., Wu, T.C., Wang, K.S. (2003) Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in children with upper gastrointestinal bleeding. J Chin Med Assoc 66: pp. 271-275
- Li Voti, G., Acierno, C., Tulone, V. (1997) Relationship between upper gastrointestinal bleeding and nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs in children. Pediatric Surg Int 12: pp. 264-265 CrossRef
- Fox VL.Gastrointestinal bleeding in infancy and childhood. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 2000;29:37–66.
- Felber, S., Rosenthal, P., Henton, D. (1988) The BUN/Creatinine ratio in localizing gastrointestinal bleeding in pediatric patients. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 7: pp. 685-687 CrossRef
- Etiology of upper gastrointestinal bleeding in young children
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 76, Issue 9 , pp 899-901
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Upper gastrointestinal bleeding
- Industry Sectors