Pulse steroid therapy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Intravenous supra-pharmacological doses of corticosteroids are used in various inflammatory and autoimmune conditions because they are cumulatively less toxic than sustained steroid treatment at lower quantitative dosage. Their action is supposed to be mediated through non-genomic actions within the cell. Common indications for use in children include steroid resistant and steroid dependent nephrotic syndrome, rapidly progressive glomerulonephritis, systemic vasculitis, systemic lupus erythematosus, acute renal allograft rejection, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile dermatomyositis, pemphigus, optic neuritis, multiple sclerosis and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. Methylprednisolone and dexamethasone show similar efficacy in most conditions. Therapy is associated with significant side effects including worsening of hypertension, infections, dyselectrolytemia and behavioral effects. Adequate monitoring is essential during usage.
- Rhen T, Cidlowski JA. Anti-inflammatory action of glucocorticoids-new mechanisms for old drugs. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 1711–1723. CrossRef
- Kountz SL, Cohn R. Initial treatment of renal allograft with large intra-renal doses of immunosuppressive drugs. Lancet 1969; 1: 338–340. CrossRef
- Woods JE, Anderson CF, DeWeerd JH et al. High-dosage intravenously administered methylprednisolone in renal transplantation: a preliminary report. JAMA 1973; 223: 896–899. CrossRef
- Cathcart ES, Scheinberg MA, Idelson BA, Couser WG. Beneficial effects of methylprednisolone “pulse” therapy in diffuse proliferative lupus nephritis. Lancet 1976; 1: 163–166. CrossRef
- Barton KS, Person DA, Brewer EJ Jr, Beale MG, Robson AM. Pulse methylprednisolone therapy in diffuse proliferative lupus nephritis. J Pediatr 1982; 101: 137–141. CrossRef
- Mendoza SA, Tune BM. Management of the difficult nephrotic patient. Ped Clin N Amer 1995; 42: 1459–1468.
- The big shot [editorial]. Lancet 1977; 1: 633–634.
- Pasricha JS. Pulse therapy in pemphigus and other diseases, 2nd ed. New Delhi; Pulse Therapy and Pemphigus Foundation; 2000.
- Feduska NJ, Turcotte JG, Gikas PW, Bacon GE, Penner JA. Reversal of renal allograft rejection with intravenous methylprednisolone “pulse” therapy. J Surg Res 1972; 12: 208–215. CrossRef
- Buttgereit F, da Silva JA, Boers M, Burmester GR, Cutolo M, Jacobs J et al. Standardised nomenclature for glucocorticoid dosages and glucocorticoid treatment regimens: current questions and tentative answers in rheumatology. Ann Rheum Dis 2002; 61: 718–722. CrossRef
- Laxler RM, Gazarian M. Pharmacology and Drug Therapy. In Cassidy JT, Petty RE, Lindsley CB, Laxler RM eds. Textbook of Pediatric Rheumatology, 5th ed. Philadelphia; WB Saunders Company, 2005; 90–146.
- Schimmer BP, Parker KL. Adrenocorticotropic hormones; adrenocortical steroids and their synthetic analogs; inhibitors of the synthesis and actions of adrenocortical hormones. In Brunton LL, Lazo JS, Parker KL, eds. Goodman & Gilman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, 11th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2006; 1587–1612.
- Gallant C, Kenny P. Oral glucocorticoids and their complications; a review. J Am Acad Dermatol 1986; 14: 161–177. CrossRef
- Pasricha JS, Khaitan BK, Raman RS, Chandra M. Dexamethasone-cyclophosphamide pulse therapy for pemphigus. Int J Dermatol 1995; 34: 875–882. CrossRef
- Hari P, Bagga A, Mantan M. Short term efficacy of intravenous dexamethasone and methylprednisolone therapy in steroid resistant nephrotic syndrome. Indian Pediatrics 2004; 41: 993–1000.
- Sharada B, Kumar A, Kakker R, Adya CM, Pande I, Uppal SS et al. Intravenous dexamethasone pulse therapy in diffuse systemic sclerosis. A randomized placebocontrolled study. Rheumatol Int 1994; 14: 91–94. CrossRef
- Lashina Niu, Solov’ev SK, Balabanova RM. Treatment with megadose of dexaven (dexamethasone) versus methylpred (6-methyl-prednisolone) of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Ter Arkh 2000; 72: 28–31.
- Seth V, Kabra SK, Semwal OP, Jain Y. Juvenile dermatomyositis. Indian J Pediatr 1996: 63: 375–379. CrossRef
- Rider LG, Buyon JP, Rutledge J, Sherry DD. Treatment of neonatal lupus: Case report and review of literature. J Rheumatol 1993; 20: 1101–1104.
- Stasi R, Brunetti M, Pagano A, Stipa E, Masi M, Amadon S. Pulsed intravenous high-dose dexamethasone in adults with chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood Cells Mol Dis 2000; 26: 582–586. CrossRef
- Novak E, Stubbs SS, Seekman CC, Hearron MS. Effects of a single large intravenous dose of methylprednisolone sodium succinate. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1970; 11: 711–717.
- Miura M, Ohki H, Yoshiba S, Ueda H, Sugaya A, Satoh M et al. Adverse effects of methylprednisolone pulse therapy in refractory Kawasaki disease. Arch Dis Child 2005; 90: 1096–1097. CrossRef
- Wilson JW. Cellular localization of 3H-labelled corticosteroids by electron microscopic autoradiography after hemorrhagic shock. In Glenn TM, ed. Steroid and Shock, Baltimore: University Park Pres, 1974. pp. 275–299.
- Ito S, Kusunoki V, Oka T, Ito Y, Okuno A, Yoshioka H. Pharmacokinetics of high-dose methylprednisolone in children. Developmental Pharmacology and Therapeutics 1992; 19: 99–105.
- Hayball P, Cosh D, Ahern M, Schultz D, Roberts-Thomson P. High dose oral methylprednisolone in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: pharmacokinetics and clinical response. Eur J Pharmacol 1993; 42: 85–88.
- Alam S, Kyriakides T, Lawden M, Newman P. Methylprednisolone in multiple sclerosis: a comparison of oral with intravenous therapy at equivalent high dose. J Neurosurg Psychiatry 1993; 56: 1219–1220. CrossRef
- Tóth GG, Kloosterman Ch, Uges DRA, Jonkman MJ. Pharmacokinetics of high-dose oral and intravenous dexamethasone. Ther Drug Monit 1999; 21: 532–535. CrossRef
- Dawe RS, Naidoo DK, Ferguson J. Severe bullous pemphigoid responsive to pulsed intravenous dexamethasone and oral cyclophosphamide. Br J Dermatol 1997; 137: 827–828. CrossRef
- Buttgereit F, Saag KG, Cutolo M, da Silva JA. The molecular basis for the effectiveness, toxicity, and resistance to glucocorticoids: focus on the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Scand J Rheumatol 2005; 34: 14–21. CrossRef
- Stahn C, Lowenberg M, Hommes DW, Buttergeit F. Molecular mechanisms of glucocorticoid action and selective glucocorticoid receptor agonists. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2007; 275: 71–78. CrossRef
- Smith MD, Ahern MJ, Roberts-Thomson PJ, Youssef PP. Similar effects of pulse corticosteroid and tumor necrosis factor alpha blockade in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2001; 44: 245–246. CrossRef
- Bosch X, Guilabert A, Espinosa G, Mirapeix E. Treatment of antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-associated vasculitis: A systematic review. JAMA 2007; 298: 655–669. CrossRef
- Gourley MF, Austin III HA, Scott D, Yarboro CH, Vaughan EM, Muir J et al. Methylprednisolone and cyclophosphamide, alone or in combination, in patients with lupus nephritis. A randomised controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 1996; 125: 549–557.
- Badsha H, Kong KO, Lian TY, Chan SP, Edwards CJ, Chng HH. Low-dose pulse methylprednisolone for systemic lupus erythematosus flares is efficacious and has a decreased risk of infectious complications. Lupus 2002; 11: 508–513. CrossRef
- Bock HA. Steroid-resistant kidney transplant rejection: diagnosis and treatment. J Am Soc Nephrol 2001; 12: 48S–52S.
- Nossent HC, Bakland G, Aslaksen HK, Olsen G, Nordvag BY. Efficacy of methylprednisolone pulse therapy versus infliximab in the treatment of severe flares of chronic polyarthritis. Scand J Rheumatol 2001; 30: 335–339. CrossRef
- Aghighi Y, Attarod L, Javanmard M. Efficacy of methylprednisolone pulse therapy in children with rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Rheumatol 2008 Jul 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Huang JL. Long-term prognosis of patients with juvenile dermatomyositis initially treated with intravenous methylprednisolone pulse therapy. Clin Exp Rheumatol 1999; 17: 621–624.
- Seshadri R, Feldman BM, Ilowite N, Cawkwell G, Pachman LM. The role of aggressive corticosteroid therapy in patients with juvenile dermatomyositis: a propensity score analysis. Arthritis Rheum 2008; 59: 989–995. CrossRef
- Tenembaum S, Chamoles N, Fejerman N. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, a long term follow up study of 84 pediatric patients. Neurology 2002; 59: 1224–1231.
- Oliveri RL, Valentino P, Russo C, Sibilia G, Aguglia U, Bono F, et al. Randomized trial comparing two different high doses of methylprednisolone in MS: a clinical and MRI study. Neurology 1998; 50: 1833–1836.
- Beck RW, Cleary PA, Trobe JD, Kaufman DI, Kupersmith MJ, Paty DW et al. The effect of corticosteroids for acute optic neuritis on the subsequent development of multiple sclerosis. The Optic Neuritis Study Group. N Engl J Med 1993; 329: 1764–1769. CrossRef
- La Mantia, Eoli M, Milanese C, Salmaggi A, Dufour A, Torri V. Double-blind trial of dexamethasone versus methylprednisolone in multiple sclerosis acute relapses. Eur Neurol 1994; 34: 199–203. CrossRef
- Menon V, Mehrotra A, Saxena R, Jaffery NF. Comparative evaluation of megadose methylprednisolone with dexamethasone for treatment of primary typical optic neuritis. Indian J Ophthalmol 2007; 55: 355–359. CrossRef
- Baethge BA, Lidsky MD, Goldberg JW. A study of adverse effects of high-dose intravenous (pulse) methylprednisolone therapy in patients with rheumatic disease. Ann Pharmacotherapy 1992; 26: 316–320.
- Klein-Gitelman MS, Pachman LM. Intravenous corticosteroids: Adverse reactions are more variable than expected in children. J Rheumatol 1998; 25: 1995–2002.
- Kang I, Park S. Infectious complications in SLE after immunosuppressive therapies. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2003; 15: 528–534. CrossRef
- Haugeberg G, Griffiths B, Sokoll KB, Emery P. Bone loss in patients treated with pulses of methylprednisolone is not negligible: a short term prospective observational study. Ann Rheum Dis 2004; 63: 940–944. CrossRef
- Lonquist JL, Radovancevic B, Vega JD, Burnett CM, Birovljev S, Saade NG et al. Reevaluation of steroid tapering after steroid pulse therapy for heart rejection. J Heart Lung Transplant 1992; 11: 913–919.
- Zonana-Nacach A, Barr SG, Magder LS, Petri M. Damage in systemic lupus erythematosus and its association with corticosteroids. Arthritis Rheum 2000; 43: 1801–1808. CrossRef
- Pulse steroid therapy
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 75, Issue 10 , pp 1057-1066
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- High dose corticosteroid
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Nephrology, Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences New Delhi, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, India
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Science, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, 110 029, India