Association of assisted reproductive technology with twinning and congenital anomalies
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Recently many reports have been published on the use of intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) and the increased risk of congenital major malformations or syndromes. We present three cases with Goldenhar syndrome (one of them a twin pair) and one case with Rubinstein-Taybi syndrome (RTS), also a twin pair. All four female cases are derived from ICSI. Goldenhar syndrome with ICSI pregnancy has been reported previously but as far as we know, RTS has not been described in association with assisted reproductive technology (ART). The four new cases reported herein will contribute to a better understanding whether ICSI pregnancy increases congenital malformations.
- Kurinczuk JJ, Bower C. Birth defects in infants conceived by intracytoplasmic sperm injection: an alternative interpretation. BMJ 1997; 315: 1260–1265.
- Wennerholm UB, Bergh C, Hamberger L, Lundin K et al. Incidence of congenital malformations in children born after ICSI. Human Reprod 2000; 15: 944–948. CrossRef
- Roesch C, Steinbicker V, Korb C, Von Rohden L et al. Goldenhar anomaly in one triplet derived from intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI). Am J Med Genet 2001; 101: 82–83. CrossRef
- Hansen M, Kurinczuk JJ, Bower C, Webb S. The risk of major birth defects after intracytoplasmic sperm injection and in vitro fertilization. N Eng J Med 2002; 346: 725–730. CrossRef
- Katalinic A, Rosch C, Ludwig M. Pregnancy course and outcome after intracytoplasmic sperm injection: a controlled, prospective cohort study. Fertil and Steril 2004; 81: 1604–1616. CrossRef
- Engiz O, Balci S, Unsal M, Ozer S et al. 31 cases with Oculoauriculovertebral Dysplasia (Goldenhar syndrome): Clinical, neuroradiologic, audiologic and cytognetic findings. Genet Counsel 2007; 18: 277–288.
- Wieczorek D, Ludwig M, Boehringer S, Jongbloet PH et al. Reproduction abnormalities and twin pregnancies in parents of sporadic patients with oculo-auriculo-vertebral spectrum/Goldenhar syndrome. Hum Genet 2007; 121: 369–376. CrossRef
- Balci S, Engiz O, Yilmaz Z, Baltaci V. Partial trisomy (11;22) syndrome with manifestations of Goldenhar sequence due to maternal balanced t(11;22). Genet Counsel 2006; 17: 281–289.
- Bonduelle M, Aytoz A, Van Assche E et al. Incidence of chromosomal aberrations in children born after assisted reproduction through intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Hum Reprod 1998; 13: 781–782. CrossRef
- Yovich J, Mulcahy M, Matson P. IVF and Goldenhar syndrome. J Med Genet 1987; 24: 644. CrossRef
- Association of assisted reproductive technology with twinning and congenital anomalies
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 75, Issue 6 , pp 638-640
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Congenital malformation
- Goldenhar syndrome
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection
- Rubinstein-Taybi syndrome
- Twin pregnancy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Clinical Genetics, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Ihsan Dogramaci Childrens’ Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
- 2. Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Division of Fetal-Maternal Medicine, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey