Chronic lung disease in newborns
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Chronic lung disease (CLD) or bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) occurs in preterm infants who require respiratory support in the first few days of birth. Apart from prematurity, oxygen therapy and assisted ventilation, factors like intrauterine/postnatal infections, patent ductus arteriosus, and genetic polymorphisms also contribute to its pathogenesis. The severe form of BPD with extensive inflammatory changes is rarely seen nowadays; instead, a milder form characterized by decreased alveolar septation due to arrest in lung development is more common. A multitude of strategies, mainly pharmacological and ventilatory, have been employed for prevention and treatment of BPD. Unfortunately, most of them have not been proved to be beneficial. A comprehensive protocol for management of BPD based on the current evidence is discussed here.
- Smith VC, Zupancic JA, McCormick MC, Croen LA, Greene J, Escobar GJ, Richardson DK. Trends in severe BPD rates between 1994 and 2002. J Pediatr 2005; 146: 469–473. CrossRef
- Bancalari E, Claure N. Definitions and diagnostic criteria for bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Semin Perinatol 2006; 30: 164–170. CrossRef
- Bancalari E, Abdenour GE, Feller R, Gannon J. Bronchopulmonary dysplasia: clinical presentation. J Pediatr 1979; 95: 819–823. CrossRef
- Shennan AT, Dunn MS, Ohlsson A, Lennox K, Hoskins EM. Abnormal pulmonary outcomes in premature infants: prediction from oxygen requirement in the neonatal period. Pediatrics 1988; 82: 527–532.
- Jobe AH, Bancalari E. Bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001; 163: 1723–1729.
- Ehrenkranz RA, Walsh MC, Vohr BR, Jobe AH, Wright LL, Fanaroff AA, Wrage LA, Poole K; National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. Validation of the National Institutes of Health consensus definition of bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Pediatrics 2005; 116: 1353–1360. CrossRef
- Narang A, Kumar P, Kumar R. Chronic Lung Disease in Neonates: Emerging problem in India. Indian Pediatr 2002; 39: 158–162.
- Kinsella JP, Greenough A, Abman SH. Bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Lancet 2006; 29; 367: 1421–1431. CrossRef
- Makri V, Hospes B, Stoll-Becker S, Borkhardt A, Gortner L. Polymorphisms of surfactant protein B encoding gene: modifiers of the course of neonatal respiratory distress. Eur J Pediatr 2002; 161: 604–608. CrossRef
- Northway WH Jr, Rosan RC, Porter DY: Pulmonary disease following respiratory therapy of hyaline-membrane disease. Bronchopulmonary dysplasia. N Engl J Med 1967; 276: 357.
- Jobe AH. The New BPD: an arrest of lung development. Pediatr Res 1999; 46: 641–643. CrossRef
- Crowley PA. Antenatal corticosteroid therapy: a meta-analysis of the randomized trials, 1972 to 1994. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1995; 173: 322–335. CrossRef
- Crowther CA, Alfirevic Z, Haslam RR. Thyrotrophin releasing hormone added to corticosteroids for women at risk of preterm birth for preventing neonatal respiratory disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004; 2: CD000019.
- Avery ME, Tooley WH, Keller JB, Hurd SS, Bryan MH, Cotton RB et al. Is chronic lung disease in low birth weight infants preventable? A survey of eight centers. Pediatrics 1987; 79: 26–30.
- Morley CJ, Davis PG, Doyle LW, Brion LP, Hascoet JM, Carlin JB; COIN Trial Investigators. Nasal CPAP or intubation at birth for very preterm infants. N Engl J Med 2008; 14; 358: 700–708. CrossRef
- Davis PG, Lemyre B, De Paoli AG. Nasal intermittent positive pressure ventilation (NIPPV) versus nasal continuous positive airway pressure (NCPAP) for preterm neonates after extubation. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2001; 3: CD003212.
- Greenough A, Dimitriou G, Prendergast M, Milner AD. Synchronized mechanical ventilation for respiratory support in newborn infants. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008; 3: CD000456.
- Thome UH, Carlo WA, Pohlandt F. Ventilation strategies and outcome in Randomised Trials of High Frequency Ventilation. Arch Dis Child 2005; 90: F466–F473.
- McCallion N, Davis PG, Morley CJ. Volume-targeted versus pressure-limited ventilation in the neonate. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2005; 3: CD003666.
- Carlo WA, Stark AR, Wright LL, Tyson JE, Papile LA, Shankaran S et al. Minimal ventilation to prevent bronchopulmonary dysplasia in extremely-low-birth-weight infants. J Pediatr 2002; 141: 370–374. CrossRef
- Askie LM, Henderson-Smart DJ, Irwig L, Simpson JM. Oxygen-saturation targets and outcomes in extremely preterm infants. N Engl J Med 2003; 4; 349: 959–967. CrossRef
- Supplemental Therapeutic Oxygen for Prethreshold Retinopathy of Prematurity (STOP-ROP), a randomized, controlled trial. I: primary outcomes. Pediatrics 2000; 105: 295–310.
- Barrington KJ, Al-Hazzani FN. Fluid restriction for treatment of preterm babies with chronic lung disease. (Protocol) Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2005; (3): CD005389.
- Biniwale MA, Ehrenkranz RA. The role of nutrition in the prevention and management of bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Semin Perinatol 2006; 30: 200–208. CrossRef
- Engle WA; American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Fetus and Newborn. Surfactant-replacement therapy for respiratory distress in the preterm and term neonate. Pediatrics 2008; 121: 419–432. CrossRef
- Tyson JE, Wright LL, Oh W, Kennedy KA, Mele L, Ehrenkranz RA, Stoll BJ, Lemons JA, Stevenson DK, Bauer CR, Korones SB, Fanaroff AA. Vitamin A supplementation for extremely-low-birth-weight infants. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Neonatal Research Network. N Engl J Med 1999; 340: 1962–198. CrossRef
- Darlow BA, Graham PJ. Vitamin A supplementation for preventing morbidity and mortality in very low birth weight infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2002; 4: CD000501.
- Schmidt B, Roberts RS, Davis P, Doyle LW, Barrington KJ, Ohlsson A et al. Caffeine for Apnea of Prematurity Trial Group. Caffeine therapy for apnoea of prematurity. N Engl J Med 2006; 354: 2112–2121. CrossRef
- Schmidt B, Davis P, Moddemann D, Ohlsson A, Roberts RS, Saigal S et al. Trial of Indomethacin Prophylaxis in Preterms (TIPP) Investigators. Long-term effects of indomethacin prophylaxis in extremely-low-birth-weight infants. N Engl J Med 2001; 344: 1966–1972. CrossRef
- Shah SS, Ohlsson A. Ibuprofen for the prevention of patent ductus arteriosus in preterm and/or low birth weight infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006;(1):CD004213.
- Clyman RI. Recommendations for the postnatal use of indomethacin: an analysis of four separate treatment strategies. J Pediatr 1996; 128: 601–607. CrossRef
- Halliday HL, Ehrenkranz RA. Early postnatal (< 96 hours) corticosteroids for preventing chronic lung disease in preterm infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003; (1): CD001146.
- Halliday HL, Ehrenkranz RA. Moderately early (7–14 days) postnatal corticosteroids for preventing chronic lung disease in preterm infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003; (1): CD001144.
- Barrington KJ. The adverse neuro-developmental effects of postnatal steroids in the preterm infant: a systematic review of RCTs. BMC Pediatrics 2001; 1: 1–14. CrossRef
- Sankar MJ, Deorari AK. Postnatal corticosteroids for chronic lung disease (CLD). Indian Pediatr 2007; 44: 531–539.
- Shah V, Ohlsson A, Halliday HL, Dunn MS. Early administration of inhaled corticosteroids for preventing chronic lung disease in ventilated very low birth weight preterm neonates (Cochrane Review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000; 2: CD001969.
- Barrington KJ, Finer NN. Inhaled nitric oxide for respiratory failure in preterm infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006: CD000509.
- Kinsella JP, Cutter GR, Walsh WF, Gerstmann DR, Bose CL et al. Early inhaled nitric oxide therapy in premature newborns with respiratory failure. N Engl J Med 2006; 355: 354–364. CrossRef
- Ballard RA, Truog WE, Cnaan A, Martin RJ, Ballard PJ et al. Inhaled nitric oxide in preterm infants undergoing mechanical ventilation. N Engl J Med 2006; 355: 343–353. CrossRef
- Baveja R, Christou H. Pharmacological strategies in the prevention and management of bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Semin Perinatol 2006; 30: 209–218. CrossRef
- Ng GY, Ohlsson A. Cromolyn sodium for the prevention of chronic lung disease in preterm infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2001; (2): CD003059.
- Ng GY, da S, Ohlsson A. Bronchodilators for the prevention and treatment of chronic lung disease in preterm infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2001; (3): CD003214.A
- Davis JM, Parad RB, Michele T et al. Pulmonary outcome at one year corrected age in premature infants treated at birth with recombinant CuZn superoxide dismutase. Pediatrics 2003; 111: 469–476. CrossRef
- Ambalavanan N, Carlo WA. Ventilatory strategies in the prevention and management of bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Semin Perinatol 2006; 30: 192–199. CrossRef
- Halliday HL, Ehrenkranz RA. Delayed (3 weeks) postnatal corticosteroids for chronic lung disease in preterm infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003; (1): CD001145.
- Chronic lung disease in newborns
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 75, Issue 4 , pp 369-376
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- Industry Sectors