Efficacy of permethrin cream and oral ivermectin in treatment of scabies
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To compare the efficacy of mass treatment of scabies with permethrin cream and oral ivermectin in a closed urban pediatric population.
A comparative trial of topical permethrin and oral ivermectin was conducted in a closed population of 84 children living in a urban hostel of Delhi.
After mass treatment with 2 doses of oral ivermectin, one case was recorded in following 6 months, as compared to 22 cases in preceding 6 months when children were treated with a single application of 5% permethrin.
Mass treatment of scabies with ivermectin in an endemic population is more efficacious as compared to topical permethrin application in reducing the baseline prevalence, decreasing the chain of transmission and chances of reinfection.
- Taplin, D., Meinking, T. Infestations. In: Schachner, L.A., Hansen, R.C. eds. (1988) Pediatric dermatology. Churchill Livingstone, New York, pp. 1465-1516
- Lawrence, G., Leafasia, J., Sheridan, J., Hills, S., Wate, J., Wate, C. (2005) Control of scabies, skin sores and haematuria in children in the Solomon Islands: another role for Ivermectin. Bull World Health Organ 83: pp. 34-42
- Taplin, D., Porcelain, S.L., Meinking, T.L., Athey, R.L., Chen, J.A., Castillero, P.M. (1991) Community control of scabies: a model based on use of Permethrin cream. Lancet 337: pp. 1016-1018 CrossRef
- Meinking, T.L., Taplin, D., Hermida, J.L. (1995) The treatment of scabies with Ivermectin. N Engl J Med 333: pp. 26-30 CrossRef
- Aubin, F., Humbert, P. (1995) Ivermectin for crusted scabies. N Engl J Med 332: pp. 612 CrossRef
- Dourmishev, A., Serfimova, D., Dourmishev, L. (1998) Efficacy and tolerance of oral Ivermectin in scabies. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 11: pp. 247-251 CrossRef
- Pacque, M., Munoz, B., Greene, B.M., White, A.T., Dukuly, Z., Taylor, H.R. (1990) Safety of and compliance with community based Ivermectin therapy. Lancet 335: pp. 1377-1380 CrossRef
- Gardon, J., Gardon-Wendel, N., Demanga, N., Kamgno, J., Chippaux, J.P., Boussinesq, M. (1997) Serious reaction after mass treatment of onchocerciasis with Ivermectin in an area endemic for Loa Loa infection. Lancet 350: pp. 18-22 CrossRef
- Ribeiro Fde, A., Taciro, E., Guerra, M.R., Eckley, C.A. (2005) Oral Ivermectin for the treatment and prophylaxis of scabies in prison. J Dermatolog Treat 16: pp. 138-141 CrossRef
- Efficacy of permethrin cream and oral ivermectin in treatment of scabies
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 74, Issue 10 , pp 915-916
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pediatrics, Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute, Delhi, India
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital, Delhi, India
- 3. Department of Dermatology, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital, Delhi, India
- 4. Department of Medicine, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital, Delhi, India