Efficacy of permethrin cream and oral ivermectin in treatment of scabies
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To compare the efficacy of mass treatment of scabies with permethrin cream and oral ivermectin in a closed urban pediatric population.
A comparative trial of topical permethrin and oral ivermectin was conducted in a closed population of 84 children living in a urban hostel of Delhi.
After mass treatment with 2 doses of oral ivermectin, one case was recorded in following 6 months, as compared to 22 cases in preceding 6 months when children were treated with a single application of 5% permethrin.
Mass treatment of scabies with ivermectin in an endemic population is more efficacious as compared to topical permethrin application in reducing the baseline prevalence, decreasing the chain of transmission and chances of reinfection.
- Taplin D, Meinking T. Infestations. In Schachner LA, Hansen RC, eds. Pediatric dermatology Vol 2. New York; Churchill Livingstone, 1988; 1465–1516.
- Lawrence G, Leafasia J, Sheridan J, Hills S, Wate J, Wate C et al. Control of scabies, skin sores and haematuria in children in the Solomon Islands: another role for Ivermectin. Bull World Health Organ 2005; 83: 34–42.
- Taplin D, Porcelain SL, Meinking TL, Athey RL, Chen JA, Castillero PM et al. Community control of scabies: a model based on use of Permethrin cream. Lancet 1991; 337: 1016–1018. CrossRef
- Meinking TL, Taplin D, Hermida JL et al. The treatment of scabies with Ivermectin. N Engl J Med 1995; 333: 26–30. CrossRef
- Aubin F, Humbert P. Ivermectin for crusted scabies. N Engl J Med 1995; 332: 612. CrossRef
- Dourmishev A, Serfimova D, Dourmishev L. Efficacy and tolerance of oral Ivermectin in scabies. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 1998; 11: 247–251. CrossRef
- Pacque M, Munoz B, Greene BM, White AT, Dukuly Z, Taylor HR. Safety of and compliance with community based Ivermectin therapy. Lancet 1990; 335: 1377–1380. CrossRef
- Gardon J, Gardon-Wendel N, Demanga N, Kamgno J, Chippaux JP, Boussinesq M. Serious reaction after mass treatment of onchocerciasis with Ivermectin in an area endemic for Loa Loa infection. Lancet 1997; 350: 18–22. CrossRef
- Ribeiro Fde A, Taciro E, Guerra MR, Eckley CA. Oral Ivermectin for the treatment and prophylaxis of scabies in prison. J Dermatolog Treat 2005; 16: 138–141. CrossRef
- Efficacy of permethrin cream and oral ivermectin in treatment of scabies
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 74, Issue 10 , pp 915-916
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pediatrics, Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute, Delhi, India
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital, Delhi, India
- 3. Department of Dermatology, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital, Delhi, India
- 4. Department of Medicine, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital, Delhi, India