Polio eradication in India: The way forward
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Despite remarkable decline in the number of poliomyelitis cases, the dream of polio eradication in India remains elusive. This is despite considerable effort and expenditure for well over a decade. Various reasons have been cited for this and interventions implemented accordingly. None of these seem to have borne fruit. It is appropriate to have a relook at the polio eradication strategies in order to learn from past errors and determine a feasible solution to achieve the goal. This article examines important tissues that hamper the eradication effort and proposes a way forward.
- http://www.npspindia.org accessed on September 11, 2006.
- Wenger J. Epidemiology and virology of polio in India. Presented at the Indian Medical Association Committee Meeting on Polio Eradication, New Delhi, May 14, 2006.
- Deshpande J, Ram M, Durrani S, Wenger J. Detecting polio through surveillance for acute flaccid paralysis (AFP). JIMA 2005; 103: 671–675.
- Bahl S, Biswal P, Sarkar S, Jenks J, Petersen T, Wenger J. Polio eradication in India: current status. JIMA 2005; 103: 669–670.
- John TJ. Establish herd effect to interrupt wild poliovirus transmission. Indian J Med Res 2006; 124: 1–4.
- 12 October 2005. Final Report of the Advisory Committee on Polio Eradication (ACPE). Accessed through the website: http://www.polioeradication.org/meetings.asp
- 5–6 December 2005. 14 th Meeting of the India Expert Advisory Group on Polio Eradication. Accessed through the website: http://www.polioeradication.org/meetings.asp
- 21–22 September 2004. Ad hoc Advisory Committee on Polio Eradication (AACPE) meeting. Accessed through the website: http://www.polioeradication.org/meetings.asp
- IEAG-Report of the 12 th meeting of the IEAG for polio eradication. Accessible through: http://www.npspindia.org/download/IEAG/
- Chatterjee A, Chawla A. Monovalent polio immunization-a strategy for India. JIMA 2005; 103: 682–685.
- IEAG. Report of the 13th meeting of IEAG for polio eradication. Accessible through: http://www.npspindia.org/download/IEAG/
- World Health Organization. WHO recommended surveillance standards, 2nd ed. Geneva: WHO, 1999: WHO/CDS/CSR/ISR/99/2/EN.
- Mittal SK, Mathew JL. AFP Surveillance: Are we doing it adequately? Paediatrics Today 2002; 8: 463–470.
- Mathew JL, Gera T, Mittal SK. Eradication of poliomyelitis in India-future perspectives. Paediatrics Today 2000;10: 647–660.
- Mittal SK, Mathew JL. Vaccine associated paralytic poliomyelitis. Indian J Pediatr 2003; 70: 573–577.
- Kohler KA, Banerjee K, Hlady WG, Andrus JK, Sutter RW. Vaccine-associated paralytic poliomyelitis in India during 1999: decreased risk despite massive use of oral polio vaccine. Bull WHO 2002; 80: 210–216.
- Kew OM, Sutter RW, de Gourville EM, Dowdle DR, Pallansch MA. Vaccine-derived polioviruses and the endgame strategy for global polio eradication. Annu Rev Microbiol 2005; 59: 587–635. CrossRef
- Halsey NA, Pinto J, Espinosa-Rosales F, Faure-Fontenla MA, da Silva E, Khan AJ, Webster AD, Minor P, Dunn G, Asturias E, Hussain H, Pallansch MA, Kew OM, Winkelstein J, Sutter R; Polio Project Team. Search for poliovirus carriers among people with primary immune deficiency diseases in the United States, Mexico, Brazil and the United Kingdom. Bull WHO 2004; 82: 3–8.
- MacLennan C, Dunn G, Huissoon AP, Kumararatne DS, Martin J, O’Leary P, Thompson RA, Osman H, Wood P, Minor P, Wood DJ, Pillay D. Failure to clear persistent vaccinederived neurovirulent poliovirus infection in an immunodeficient man. Lancet 2004; 363: 1509–1513. CrossRef
- Arita M, Zhu SL, Yoshida H, Yoneyama T, Miyamura T, Shimizu H. A Sabin 3-derived poliovirus recombinant contained a sequence homologous with indigenous human enterovirus species C in the viral polymerase coding region. J Virol 2005; 79: 12650–12657. CrossRef
- Arita I, Nakane M, Fenner F. Is polio eradication realistic? Science 2006; 312: 852–854. CrossRef
- Roberts L. Polio eradication: is it time to give up? Science 200; 312: 832–835.
- Bhatnagar P, Bahal S, Biswal P. use of oral polio vaccine for polio eradication. JIMA 2005; 103: 680–681.
- Post-eradication immunization policy for poliomyelitis. WHO/POLIO/02.04; updated January 2002 accessible at: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2002/WHO_POLIO_02.04.pdf
- Mathew JL, Mittal SK. Polio Eradication and After: Does IPV have a Role? Indian J Pediatr 2001; 68SS1: S15–22.
- Polio eradication in India: The way forward
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 74, Issue 2 , pp 153-160
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors