Paddy straw as substrate for ethanol production
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Pretreatment of paddy straw with 2% sodium hydroxide at 15 psi for 1 h resulted in 83% delignification. The hydrolysis of alkali treated paddy straw with a commercial preparation of cellulase for 2 h at 50°C resulted in release of 65% total reducing sugars. Maximum sugars were released at enzyme loading of 1.5% (v/v). The fermentation of hydrolysate supplemented with nutrients by S. cerevisiae resulted in the production of 20–30 g L−1 ethanol after 48 h incubation which was further improved with addition of yeast nitrogen base and inoculated with 1% (w/v) yeast cells.
- Wheals AE, Barso LC, Alves DMG & Amorim HV (1999) Fuel ethanol after 29 years. Trends Biotechnol 17: 482–487. CrossRef
- Ward OP (2002) Bioethanol technology development and Perspective. Adv Appl Microbiol 51:53–80. CrossRef
- Ballerini D, Desmarquest JP & Pourquic J (1994) Ethanol production from lignocellulosics: large scale experimentation and economics. Bioresource Technol 50:14–23. CrossRef
- Lee J (1997) Biological conversion of lignocellulosic biomass to ethanol. J Biotechnol 56:1–24. CrossRef
- Annonymous (1970) Official Methods of Analysis. Assoc. Official Agri Chemists 11th edn Washington, DC.
- Ghosh, TK (1987) Measurement of cellulase activities. Pure Appl chem 59:257–268.
- Miller GL (1959) Use of di nitro salicylic acid reagent for estimation of reducing sugars. Anal Chem 31:426–428. CrossRef
- Caputi P, Vede JM & Brown T (1968) Spectrophotometric determination of chromic complex formed during oxidation of ethanol. Am J Enol Vitic 19:1601–1665.
- Schell JS, Riley CJ, Dowe N, Farmer J, Ibsen KN, Ruth MI, Toon ST & Lumpkin RI (2004) A bioethanol process development unit: initial operating experiences and results with a corn fiber feedstock. Bioresource Technol 91:179–188. CrossRef
- Mosier N, Wyman C, Dale B, Elander R, Lee YY, Holtzapple M & Ladish M (2005) Features of promising technologies for pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass. Bioresource Technol 9:637–686.
- Sharma SK, Kalra KL & Kocher GS (2004) Fermentation of enzymatic hydrolysate of Sunflower hulls for ethanol production and its scale up. Biomass Bioenergy 27:399–402. CrossRef
- Peiris PS & Silva I (1987) Hydrolysis of rice straw to fermentable sugar by Trichoderma enzymes. MIRCEN J 3:57–65. CrossRef
- Vlasenko E Yu, Ding H, Labavitch JM & Shoemaker SP (1997) Enzymatic hydrolysis of pretreated rice straw. Bioresource Technol 59: 109–119. CrossRef
- Ahring BK, Licht D, Schmidt AS & Sommer P (1999) Production of ethanol from wet oxidized wheat straw by Thermoanaerobacter mathranii. Bioresource Technol 68: 3–9. CrossRef
- Paddy straw as substrate for ethanol production
Indian Journal of Microbiology
Volume 47, Issue 1 , pp 26-29
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- paddy straw
- S. cerevisiae