Survival patterns in patients with carcinoma base of tongue treated with external beam irradiation and salvage surgery
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The current study was designed to assess the treatment results and survival in the patients with carcinoma of base of tongue that were treated with primary radiotherapy, radiotherapy with chemotherapy and salvage surgery when indicated.
A prospective study was carried out in 78 cases of carcinoma of the base of tongue between 1995 and 1999.
The majority of cases belonged to stage IV 60/78 (76.92%) as per AJCC staging. Radiotherapy in the dose of 60 Gy was given primarily to the patients with stage III tongue base cancer. Patients with early stage IV cancer were given split course radiotherapy followed by assessment for surgery. For the patients with advanced stage IV disease with poor general condition, palliative radiotherapy of 24 Gy with or without palliative chemotherapy was given. 15 patients were subjected to salvage surgery in the form of radical neck dissection alone (8 cases), extended total laryngectomy with neck dissection (3 cases), extended total laryngectomy (2 cases) and extended supraglottic laryngectomy with RND in 2 cases.
Two and 5 years Kaplan — Meier actuarial survival rates were 45% and 10% respectively with local control rates equivalent to survival rates. All surviving patients maintained good function and quality-of-life with few tolerable side effects.
External beam radiotherapy with salvage surgery results in satisfactory local and regional control in stage III and IV carcinoma base of tongue.
- Murray M Copeland (1983) American joint committee on cancer Manual for staging of cancer 2nd edition. J, B Lippincott Co. Philadelphia pp 25–28
- Housset M, Baillet F, Dessard-Diana B, et al. (1987) A retrospective study of three treatment techniques for T1–T2 base of tongue lesions. Surgery plus post operative radiation, external radiation plus interstitial implantation and External radiation alone. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 13:511–516
- Hintz BL, Kagan AR, Wollin M, et al. (1989) Treatment selection for Base of tongue carcinoma. J Surg oncol 41:165–171 CrossRef
- Weber RS, Gidley P, Morison WH, et al. (1990) Treatment selection for carcinoma base of tongue. Am J Surg 160: 415–419 CrossRef
- Hinerman RW, Parsons JT, Mendenhall WM, Stringer SP, Cassisi NJ, Million RR (1994) External beam irradiation alone or combined with neck dissection for base of tongue carcinoma: An alternative to primary surgery. Laryngoscope 104:1446–1470 CrossRef
- Robertson ML, Gleich LL, Barrett WL, Gluckman JN (2001) Base of tongue cancer: Survival, function and quality of life after external beam irradiation and brachytherapy. Laryngoscope 111:1362–1365 CrossRef
- Mendenhall WM, Parsons JT, Stringer SP, et al. (1992) Squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck treated with irradiation. Management of the neck. Semin Radiat Oncol 2:163–170 CrossRef
- Foote RL, Olsen KD, Davis DL, et al. (1993) Base of tongue carcinoma. Patterns of failure and predictors of recurrences after surgery alone. Head and Neck 15:300–307 CrossRef
- Hitchcock YJ, Bentz BG, Sharma PK, et al. (2007) Planned neck dissection after definitive radiotherapy or chemoradiation for base of tongue cancers. Otolaryngol Head and Neck Surg 137(3):422–427 CrossRef
- Weisberger EC, Lingeman RE (1983) Modified supraglottic laryngectomy and resection of lesions of the base of tongue. Laryngoscope 93:20–25 CrossRef
- Brizel DM, Albers ME, Fisher SR, et al. (1998) Hyperfractionated irradiation with or without concurrent chemotheraphy for locally advanced head and neck cancer. N Eng J Med 338:1798–1804 CrossRef
- Bourhis J, Pignon JP, Domenge C, et al. (1998) Results of 2 metanalysis on the of chemotherapy in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biophys 42:1455 (suppl 1) (Abstract)
- Survival patterns in patients with carcinoma base of tongue treated with external beam irradiation and salvage surgery
Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery
Volume 62, Issue 2 , pp 142-147
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Base of tongue
- Radiation therapy
- Salvage surgery
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
- 2. Radiation Oncology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India