The safe surgeon
Cardiac Surgery has come a long way since Bailey’s Mitral Valvotomy . It is now very clear that heart surgery is safe effective and in some areas preserves life in terms of quality , although we are not sure any Cardiac Surgery can prolong life. The word prolong was perhaps used in comparison to the natural history of the disease rather than to adding extra years to one’s life.
Who is a Safe Surgeon (SS)? And what does SS do differently? The current generation of busy surgeons do not have the time or inclination to adhere strictly to surgical safety recommendations. Although “safe surgeon” cannot be clearly defined, we have put down certain basic characteristics that are desirable, and hope these will help professionals to change their mindset for improved outcomes.
A SS evaluates his patient personally. It is necessary to make eye contact, discuss, and reassure the patient directly. It is very essential that SS examine the patient thoroughly and seek relevant history. SS learns to
- Bailey CP. The surgical treatment of mitral stenosis (mitral commissurotomy). Dis Chest. 1949;15:377–97. CrossRef
- Jokinen JJ, Hippelainen MJ, Turpeinen AK, Pitkanen O, Hartikainen JE. Health-related quality of life after coronary artery bypass grafting: a review of randomized controlled trials. J Card Surg. 2010;25:309–17. CrossRef
- Haynes AB, Weiser TG, Berry WR, et al. A surgical safety checklist to reduce morbidity in a global population. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:491–9. CrossRef
- Senior K. WHO surgical safety checklist has value worldwide. Lancet Infect Dis. 2009;9:211. CrossRef
- Kumar TK. The second assistant in cardiac surgery: the challenges and answers. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009;137:1311–3. CrossRef
- Torchiana DF, Meyer GS. Use of administrative data for clinical quality measurement. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2005;129:1223–5. CrossRef
- Nashef SA, Roques F, Michel P, Gauducheau E, Lemeshow S, Salamon R. European system for cardiac operative risk evaluation (Euro SCORE). Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1999;16:9–13. CrossRef
- Roques F, Nashef SA, Michel P, et al. Risk factors and outcome in European cardiac surgery: analysis of the EuroSCORE multinational database of 19030 patients. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1999;15:816–22. CrossRef
- Scannell JG. Presidential address: as I remember them. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1978;76:145–57.
- The safe surgeon
Indian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Volume 27, Issue 2 , pp 63-64
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links