Evolution for the Eye: Julia Voss's Darwin's Pictures
- Kathryn Tabb
- … show all 1 hide
As far as we know, only one self-portrait by Charles Darwin exists today—a hastily drawn stick figure displaying all the dexterity of a primary school student. It appears in a notebook that Darwin used to record his experiments and observations during his voyage round the world (Chancellor and van Whye 2009, 545). Yet, much in the way that Darwin collated data from experiments that he, himself, could not perform, and sent emissaries to foreign lands that he, an invalid for much of his life, could not visit, he used the images created by others to represent himself and his ideas. In her wonderful monograph, Darwin's Pictures: Views of Evolutionary Theory, 1837–1874, Julia Voss offers a biography of this artistic Darwin, whose magpie ways led him to amass a huge collection of drawings, photographs, and charts and to integrate these images strategically into his work. She also brings attention to Darwin's own private artistry in notebooks and on scraps, suggesting (with a touch of hagiogr
- Beer G. Darwin's plots: evolutionary narrative in Darwin, George Eliot and nineteenth-century fiction. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2000. CrossRef
- Browne J. Darwin and the face of madness. In: Bynum WF, Porter R, Shepherd M, editors. The anatomy of madness: essays in the history of psychiatry, vol. 1. London: Tavistock; 1985.
- Browne J. Charles Darwin: a biography. 2 vol. New York: Knopf; 1995–2002.
- Chancellor G, van Wyhe J, editors. Charles Darwin's notebooks from the voyage of the Beagle. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2009.
- Gilman SL. Darwin sees the insane. J Hist Behav Sci. 1979;15:253–62. CrossRef
- Hodge J, Raddick G, editors. The Cambridge companion to Darwin. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2009.
- Lewens T. Darwin. London: Routledge; 2007.
- Evolution for the Eye: Julia Voss's Darwin's Pictures
Evolution: Education and Outreach
Volume 5, Issue 1 , pp 168-170
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Kathryn Tabb (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. History and Philosophy of Science Department, University of Pittsburgh, 1017 Cathedral of Learning, 4200 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, 15260, USA