Evolution and the Media
- Carl Zimmer
- … show all 1 hide
Journalists have been writing about evolution since Darwin first published the Origin of Species. Today, news about evolution comes in a dizzying diversity of venues. In this paper, I survey this diversity, observing its strengths and weaknesses for helping students learn about evolution.
- Alvarez WT. Rex and the crater of doom. 2nd ed. Princeton: Princeton University Press; 2009.
- Anonymous (1860) “The Origin of Species.” The New York Times, March 28, 1860. PDF downloaded from http://www.nytimes.com
- Dawkins R. The selfish gene. 30th ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2006.
- Franzen JL, Gingerich PD, Habersetzer J, Hurum JH, von Koenigswald W, Smith BH. Complete primate skeleton from the Middle Eocene of Messel in Germany: morphology and paleobiology. PloS One. 2009;4(5):e5723. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0005723. CrossRef
- Goldstein A. Blogging evolution. Evolution: Education and Outreach. 2009;2:548–59. CrossRef
- Gould SJ. Punctuated equilibrium. 1st ed. Cambridge: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press; 2007.
- Gould SJ, Lewontin RC. The spandrels of San Marco and the Panglossian paradigm: a critique of the adaptationist programme. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B. 1979;205:581–98. CrossRef
- Rensberger B (1975). East Africa fossils suggest that man is a million years older than he thinks. New York Times. p 58
- Seiffert ER, Perry JMG, Simons EL, Boyer DM. Convergent evolution of anthropoid-like adaptations in Eocene adapiform primates. Nature. 2009;461:7267: (October 22): 1118–1121. CrossRef
- Wilson EO. Sociobiology: the new synthesis. Cambridge: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press; 1975.
- Evolution and the Media
Evolution: Education and Outreach
Volume 3, Issue 2 , pp 236-240
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Carl Zimmer (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Environmental Studies Program, Yale University, Kroon Hall, 195 Prospect St., Room G04, New Haven, CT, USA