Overcoming Obstacles to Evolution Education: In the Beginning
Science teachers are on the front lines of the evolution wars, not only in prominent court cases but also in everyday classroom situations. Owing both to religious opposition to and common misconceptions about evolution, science teachers are in need of support and sometimes guidance. Staff from the National Center for Science Education are looking forward to contributing a regular column, “Overcoming obstacles to evolution education,” to Evolution: Education and Outreach, which will discuss a variety of obstacles to effective evolution education and suggest ways of overcoming them.
- Alters B, Alters S. Defending evolution in the classroom: a guide to the creation/evolution controversy. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett; 2001.
- Eldredge N. The triumph of evolution: and the failure of creationism. New York: Freeman; 2000.
- Eldredge N. The unmetabolized Darwin. In: Scott EC (2005) Evolution vs. creationism: an introduction. Berkeley: University of California Press; 2005. p. ix–xii.
- Larson E. Trial and error: the American controversy over creation and evolution. 3rd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2003.
- Lombrozo T, Shtulman A, Weisberg M. The intelligent design controversy: lessons from psychology and education. Trends Cogn Sci 2006;10(2):56–7. CrossRef
- Mallet J. The peppered moth: a black and white story after all. Genetics Society News 2004;50:34–8.
- Miller JD, Scott EC, Okamoto S. Public acceptance of evolution. Science 2006;313(5788):765–6. CrossRef
- National Science Teachers Association. (2005) Survey indicates science teachers feel pressure to teach nonscientific alternatives to evolution (press release). http://www.nsta.org/about/pressroom.aspx?id=50377.
- Redmon J. Evolution memo prompts call for apology. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution 16 February, 1D; 2007.
- Scott EC, Branch G. Evolution: what’s wrong with “teaching the controversy”. Trends Ecol Evol 2003;18(10):499–502. CrossRef
- Winrap M. Evolution’s lonely battle in a Georgia classroom. The New York Times 28 June, B9; 2006.
- Overcoming Obstacles to Evolution Education: In the Beginning
Evolution: Education and Outreach
Volume 1, Issue 1 , pp 53-55
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Evolution education
- National Center for Science Education
- Intelligent design