Geo-effectiveness of CMEs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs) are important phenomena in coronal dynamics causing interplanetary signatures (ICMEs). They eject large amounts of mass and magnetic fields into the heliosphere, causing major geomagnetic storms and interplanetary shocks. Geomagnetic storms are often characterized by abrupt increases in the northward component of the earth’s field, called sudden commencements (SSC) followed by large decreases of the magnetic field and slow recovery to normal values. The SSCs are well correlated with IP shocks. Here a case study of 10–15 February 2000 and also the statistical study of CME events observed by IPS array, Rajkot, during the years 2000 to 2003 and Radio Astronomy Center, Ooty are described. The geomagnetic storm index Dst, which is a measure of geo-effectiveness, is shown to be well correlated with normalized scintillation index ‘g’, derived from Ooty Radio Telescope (ORT) observations.
- Briggs, B. H., Parkin, I. A. 1963, J. Atmos. Terr. Phys., 25, 339. CrossRef
- Gopalswamy, N., Lara, A., Lepping, R. P., Kaiser, M. L., Berdichevsky, D., St. Cyr, O. C. 2000, Geophys. Res. Lett., 27, 145. CrossRef
- Gopalswamy, N. 2006, J. Astrophys. Astron., 27, 243. CrossRef
- Jadeja, A. K., Ph. D. 2007, Thesis, Saurashtra University, Rajkot.
- Lindsay, G. M., Luhmann, J. G., Russell, C. T., Gosling, J. T. 1999, J. Geophys. Res., 104, 12,515.
- Manoharan, P. K. 2003, In: Lectures on Solar Physics, (ed.) H. M. Antia et al. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 619, 299. CrossRef
- Manoharan, P. K., Gopalswamy, N., Yashiro, S., Lara, A., Michalek, G., Howard, R. A. 2004, J. Geophys. Res., 109, 1029. CrossRef
- Manoharan, P. K. 2006, Solar Phys., 235, 345. CrossRef
- Rickett, B. J. 1975, Solar Phys., 43, 237. CrossRef
- Tsurutani, B. T., Lin, R. P. 1985, J. Geophys. Res., 90, 1. CrossRef
- Tsurutani, B. T., Gonzalez, W. D., Tang, F., Akasofu, S. I., Smith, E. J. 1988, J. Geophys. Res., 93, 8519. CrossRef
- Vats, H. O., Deshpande, M. R. 1994, Bull. Astr. Soc. India, 22, 165.
- Watanabe, T., Kakinuma, T. 1984, Adv. Space Res., 4, 331. CrossRef
- Webb, D. F. 1995, Reviews of Geophysics, 33, 577. CrossRef
- Geo-effectiveness of CMEs
Journal of Astrophysics and Astronomy
Volume 29, Issue 1-2 , pp 287-291
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Coronal mass ejection
- interplanetary medium and normamalized scintillation index
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Christ College, Saurashtra University, Rajkot, 360 005, India
- 2. Department of Physics, Saurashtra University, Rajkot, 360 005, India
- 3. Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad, 380 009, India
- 4. Radio Astronomy Centre, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Ooty, 643 001, India