Role of HER2-neu as a prognostic factor for survival and relapse in pT1a–bN0M0 breast cancer: a systematic review of the literature with a pooled-analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
High levels of human epidermal growth receptor 2 (HER2) expression are associated with recurrence and death in breast cancer (BC) patients. We have performed a systematic review and meta-analysis in order to evaluate the prognosis for HER2+ pT1a–bN0M0 BC patients. A search of PubMed and Embase was performed. Studies were included if they reported hazard ratios (HRs) with a 95% confidence interval (CI) for multivariate analyses of relapse or survival in pT1a–bN0M0, HER2+ BC patients treated with surgery and chemotherapy and/or endocrine therapy, but not with trastuzumab. A total of 764 patients from seven studies were included in the meta-analysis. In the pooled analysis, HER2 had a detrimental effect on relapse-free (HR 4.68, 95% CI 3.05–7.18; p < 0.00001) and distant relapse-free survival, with a HR of 5.6 (95% CI 2.65–11.85; p < 0.00001). HER2+ status was also linked to increased risk of death (HR 3.4, 95% CI 0.86–13.41; p = 0.08) and worst BC-specific survival (HR 2.61, 95% CI 1.51–4.51; p = 0.0006), but these data were presented in few studies. HER2+ pT1a–bN0M0 BC is associated with a dismal prognosis. In these patients, HER2 has to be taken into account when deciding on adjuvant therapy, and trastuzumab should be considered.
- Chia, SK, Speers, CH, Bryce, CJ, Hayes, MM, Olivotto, IA (2004) Ten-year outcomes in a population-based cohort of node-negative, lymphatic, and vascular invasion-negative early breast cancers without adjuvant systemic therapies. J Clin Oncol 22: pp. 1630-1637 CrossRef
- Hanrahan, EO, Valero, V, Gonzalez-Angulo, AM, Hortobagyi, GN (2006) Prognosis and management of patients with node-negative invasive breast carcinoma that is 1 cm or smaller in size (stage 1; T1a, bN0M0): a review of the literature. J Clin Oncol 24: pp. 2113-2122 CrossRef
- Press, MF, Bernstein, L, Thomas, PA (1997) Her-2/neu gene amplification characterized by fluorescence in situ hybridization: poor prognosis in node-negative breast carcinomas. J Clin Oncol 15: pp. 2894-2904
- Joensuu, H, Isola, J, Lundin, M (2003) Amplification of erbB2 and erbB2 expression are superior to estrogen receptor status as risk factors for distant recurrence in pT1N0M0 breast cancer: a nationwide population-based study. Clin Cancer Res 9: pp. 223-230
- Joensuu, H, Bono, P, Kataja, V (2009) Fluorouracil, epirubicin, and cyclophosphamide with either docetaxel or vinorelbine, with or without trastuzumab, as adjuvant treatments of breast cancer: final results of the FinHer trial. J Clin Oncol 27: pp. 5685-5692 CrossRef
- Gianni, L, Dafni, U, Gelber, RD (2011) Treatment with trastuzumab for 1 year after adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with HER2-positive early breast cancer: a 4-year follow-up of a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol 12: pp. 236-244 CrossRef
- Ramond, EH, Perez, EA, Bryant, J (2005) Trastuzumab plus adjuvant chemotherapy for operable Her 2-positive breast cancer. N Engl J Med 353: pp. 1673-1684 CrossRef
- Slamon, D, Eiermann, W, Robert, N (2011) Adjuvant trastuzumab in HER2-positive breast cancer. N Engl J Med 365: pp. 1273-1283 CrossRef
- Higgins JPT, Green S (eds). Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 5.1.0 [updated Mar 2011]. The Cochrane collaboration. 2011. Available from http://www.cochrane-handbook.org.
- DerSimonian, R, Laird, N (1986) Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials 7: pp. 177-188 CrossRef
- Livi L, Meattini I, Saieva C, et al. Prognostic value of positive human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 status and negative hormone status in patients with T1a/T1b, lymph node-negative breast cancer. Cancer. 2011; in press.
- Cancello, G, Maisonneuve, P, Rotmensz, N (2011) Prognosis in women with small (T1mic, T1a, T1b) node-negative operable breast cancer by immunohistochemically selected subtypes. Breast Cancer Res Treat 127: pp. 713-720 CrossRef
- Sanpaolo P, Barbieri V, Pedicini P, Fusco V. Her-2 prognostic value in very early-stage breast cancer: a single-institution retrospective analysis. Med Oncol. 2011. doi:10.1007/s12032-011-9869-0.
- Park, YH, Kim, ST, Cho, EY (2010) A risk stratification by hormonal receptors (ER, PgR) and HER-2 status in small (≤1 cm) invasive breast cancer: who might be possible candidates for adjuvant treatment?. Breast Cancer Res Treat 119: pp. 653-661 CrossRef
- Curigliano, G, Viale, G, Bagnardi, V (2009) Clinical relevance of HER2 overexpression/amplification in patients with small tumor size and node-negative breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 27: pp. 5693-5699 CrossRef
- Theriault, RL, Litton, JK, Mittendorf, EA (2011) Age and survival estimates in patients who have node-negative T1ab breast cancer by breast cancer subtype. Clin Breast Cancer 11: pp. 325-331 CrossRef
- Wong, F, Tuan, J, Chua, ET (2010) Her2-neu positivity prognosticates for poor disease control in Asian women with small, node negative breast cancer treated with conservation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 78: pp. S228 CrossRef
- Slamon, DJ, Clark, GM, Wong, SG (1987) Human breast cancer: correlation of relapse and survival with amplification of the HER-2/neu oncogene. Science 235: pp. 177 CrossRef
- Paik, S, Hazan, R, Fisher, ER (1990) Pathologic findings from the national surgical adjuvant breast and bowel project: prognostic significance of erbB-2 protein overexpression in primary breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 8: pp. 103
- Vijver, MJ, Mooi, WJ, Wisman, P (1988) Immunohistochemical detection of the neu protein in tissue sections of human breast tumors with amplified neu DNA. Oncogene 2: pp. 175
- Gilcrease, MZ, Woodward, WA, Nicolas, MM (2009) Even low-level HER2 expression may be associated with worse outcome in node-positive breast cancer. Am J Surg Pathol 33: pp. 759 CrossRef
- Taucher, S, Rudas, M, Mader, RM (2003) Do we need HER-2/neu testing for all patients with primary breast carcinoma?. Cancer 98: pp. 2547 CrossRef
- Tandon, AK, Clark, GM, Chamness, GC (1989) HER-2/neu oncogene protein and prognosis in breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 7: pp. 1120
- Gusterson, BA, Gelber, RD, Goldhirsch, A (1992) Prognostic importance of c-erbB-2 expression in breast cancer. International (Ludwig) breast cancer study group. J Clin Oncol 10: pp. 1049
- Pauletti, G, Dandekar, S, Rong, H (2000) Assessment of methods for tissue-based detection of the HER-2/neu alteration in human breast cancer: a direct comparison of fluorescence in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry. J Clin Oncol 18: pp. 3651
- Kröger, N, Milde-Langosch, K, Riethdorf, S (2006) Prognostic and predictive effects of immunohistochemical factors in high-risk primary breast cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res 12: pp. 159 CrossRef
- Chia, S, Norris, B, Speers, C (2008) Human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 overexpression as a prognostic factor in a large tissue microarray series of node-negative breast cancers. J Clin Oncol 26: pp. 5697 CrossRef
- Wiechmann L, Jacks L, Patil S, et al. Impact of molecular subtype on presenting characteristics of T1a, b tumors. J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27:15s (abstr 11111).
- Rodrigues MJ, Wassermann J, Albiges-Sauvin L, et al. Treatment of node-negative infracentimetric HER2+ invasive breast carcinomas: a joint AERIO/REMAGUS study. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:15s (abstr 517).
- Wassermann J, Albiges L, Rodrigues MJ, et al. Treatment of small node-negative HER2+ invasive breast carcinomas: 40-month update of the joint Aerio/Remagus study. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29:85–96 (abstr 557).
- Chew HK, Brown M. Cause-specific and all-cause mortality of HER2-positive, node-negative, T1a and T1b breast cancers. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:15s (abstr 583).
- Kwon, JH, Kim, YJ, Lee, KW (2010) Triple negativity and young age as prognostic factors in lymph node-negative invasive ductal carcinoma of 1 cm or less. BMC Cancer 10: pp. 557 CrossRef
- Wong, FY, Yip, CS, Chua, ET (2011) Implications of HER2 Amplification in small, node-negative breast cancers: do Asians differ?. World J Surg 36: pp. 287-294 CrossRef
- Parise C, Bauer K, Caggiano V. Is tumor size important in HER2-positive breast cancer? J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:15s (abstr 1582).
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guidelines. Available at: http://www.nccn.org (accessed on 12 Nov 2011).
- Role of HER2-neu as a prognostic factor for survival and relapse in pT1a–bN0M0 breast cancer: a systematic review of the literature with a pooled-analysis
Volume 29, Issue 4 , pp 2586-2593
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- HER2 positive
- Breast cancer
- Industry Sectors